Thread: Human Nature?

Join Date Apr 2003
    Location NYC
    Posts 3,038
    Rep Power 19

Default Human Nature?

Does Human nature exist, or are we all born as a Tabula Rasa, and every trait is learned?
    It goes one for the student who refuses to submit and two for the teacher who is under-paid as shit, and three for the strikes who give young bloods life and four for the years you spent stifled inside.

Infoshop
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location exalted places
    Posts 374
    Rep Power 10

Human Nature doesn't really exist, it just is. It's defined by the social and economic structures around it. Have you ever heard of Situationism? From wikipedia:

"Situationism refers to an approach to personality that holds that people are more influenced by external, situational factors than by internal traits or motivations. It therefore challenges the position of trait theorists, such as Hans Eysenck or Raymond B. Cattell. The term is popularly associated with Walter Mischel, although he himself does not appear to like the term. Empirical evidence upon which situationists base their claims take the form of cross-situational measures of traits such as extraversion, in which only low correlations of the same trait taken in different situations have been found. However, in response to such evidence, Hans Eysenck has pointed out that the correlations, while low, are typically still high enough to reach statistical significance. A midrange position, which holds that personality is best understood as resulting from subtle interplay of internal and external factors, is known as "interactionism".

Some good situationist studies include: Zimbardo's Stanford prison experiment, Bystander experiments, Obedience experiments like Milgram experiment and Heat and Aggression experiments."

Though I don't like much to cite wikipedia, this was the fastest and easiest to access source and it's got the right idea.
    Last edited by INDK; 10th January 2008 at 18:22. Reason: totally forgot to explain what situationism was...lolz
    Join Date Aug 2007
    Location Cymru
    Posts 2,268
    Rep Power 13

Human nature doesnt exist.

For an example research those kids who are raised by wild dogs (Feral children or something?).

These kids have dog like behaviours and traits, due to them being raised by dogs, not human ones.

This proves that your nature is learnt not inherited or natural.
    Last edited by spartan; 10th January 2008 at 19:24.
    "No references to the need to fight terror can be an argument for restricting human rights." Vladimir Putin

"The strengthening of our statehood is, at times, deliberately interpreted as authoritarianism." Vladimir Putin

"We shall fight against them, throw them in prisons and destroy them." Vladimir Putin
    Join Date Jun 2005
    Posts 225
    Rep Power 13

The greatest trait in "human nature" is it's ability to adapt.
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location exalted places
    Posts 374
    Rep Power 10

The greatest trait in "human nature" is it's ability to adapt.
    Exactly, the nature of humans is entirely defined by adaption to external conditions.
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Posts 13
    Rep Power 0

As a feminist, I'm constantly battling the question of "human nature", i.e. "but women are NATURALLY more nurturing!", etc.

remember, we're all products of our own society. i always say, develop a way to raise human beings in a vacuum, that is, developed by people who are also not products of their society (ooo, paradox!), show me how they exhibit "human nature" in gender-traditional/capitalist-traditional ways, then we'll talk
    You Belong Here: Commentary from a Radical Activist Refusing Self-Affiliation

[FONT="Tahoma"]"I want freedom, the right to self-expression, everybody's right to beautiful, radiant things."
    -Emma Goldman
    [/FONT]
    Join Date Apr 2003
    Location NYC
    Posts 3,038
    Rep Power 19

As a feminist, I'm constantly battling the question of "human nature", i.e. "but women are NATURALLY more nurturing!", etc.
    nurturing is a learned behavior, no?
    It goes one for the student who refuses to submit and two for the teacher who is under-paid as shit, and three for the strikes who give young bloods life and four for the years you spent stifled inside.

Infoshop
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Posts 2,334
    Rep Power 22

Some evolutionary biologists speak in terms of adaptations and spandrels.
    Join Date Apr 2003
    Location NYC
    Posts 3,038
    Rep Power 19

Some evolutionary biologists speak in terms of adaptations and spandrels.
    And?

Infoshop
    Join Date Jun 2007
    Location My parents' garage.
    Posts 4,044
    Organisation
    My business union :(
    Rep Power 55

Does Human nature exist, or are we all born as a Tabula Rasa, and every trait is learned?
    Of course there is human nature. I didn't "learn" to have the trait of an opposable thumb, ten toes and two arms.

As for behavior it's a combination of genes and environment. Now how much of each is up to debate, but 70-30 (environment) seems a consensus of sorts on most things.

Poor human nature, what horrible crimes have been committed in thy name!
    Emma Goldman
    百花齐放
    -----------------------------
    la luz
    de un Rojo Amanecer
    anuncia ya
    la vida que vendrá.
    -Quilapayun
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Posts 2,334
    Rep Power 22
    Anarchist-Communist Supporter
    Forum Moderator
    Admin
    Join Date Sep 2003
    Location England
    Posts 14,875
    Rep Power 130

As for behavior it's a combination of genes and environment. Now how much of each is up to debate, but 70-30 (environment) seems a consensus of sorts on most things.

Emma Goldman
    What do you mean?
    Join Date Apr 2006
    Location UK
    Posts 6,143
    Rep Power 80

We are material beings, like other animals, endowed with certain potentialities. We are not entirely socially constructed beings. Nevertheless part of our material condition is that, more than any other animal, we are born with a relatively under-developed brain which is peculiarly open to environmental adjustment. Nearly everything we need to learn to make us human (walking upright on two legs; speaking a language and thinking symbolically; engaging in cooperative problem solving) is an achievement and we learn it all after birth through interaction with other humans. The window of opportunity for learning all this is confined to our first few years. Infants, who for one reason or another, have been excluded from human contact, do not develop recognizable human (as opposed to animal) traits.

http://www.feralchildren.com/en/index.php
    "Events have their own logic, even when human beings do not." - Rosa Luxemburg

"There are decades when nothing happens; and there are weeks when decades happen." - Lenin

Join Date Apr 2007
    Posts 2,334
    Rep Power 22
    Join Date Nov 2005
    Location UK
    Posts 16,778
    Rep Power 0

Thanks for that, Lynx, but check out my contribution to this, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Language_acquisition

Near the foot of the page.

And read this article by Geoffrey Sampson:

http://www.grsampson.net/REmpNat.html

Sampson is a right wing git, but is spot on here.

Oddly enough he attacks Chomsky for holding a right-wing theory of language, all the while defending a left-wing view!

[Although, Sampson would not have put it that way!]

Also worth reading is this by Simon Blackburn (Professor of Philosophy at Cambridge University):

http://www.phil.cam.ac.uk/~swb24/reviews/Pinker.htm
    Last edited by Rosa Lichtenstein; 22nd January 2008 at 18:53.
    The apathetic leftist Committed User
    Join Date Aug 2006
    Location Florida or Puerto Rico
    Posts 3,233
    Organisation
    Sympathizer of: IWW, NEFAC, AFED, RAAN
    Rep Power 42

And read this article by Geoffrey Sampson:

http://www.grsampson.net/REmpNat.html

Sampson is a right wing git, but is spot on here.

Oddly enough he attacks Chomsky for holding a right-wing theory of language, all the while defending a left-wing view!

[Although, Sampson would not have put it that way!]
    Why is Chomsky's view right-wing?
    (This is an honest question. I'm not trying to defend Chomsky {He's not some kind of "leftist god" or whatever. I think his reformism/political endorsement is bad and I don't see why people are defending him in another thread}, I just want to know why is something like "Linguistic Nativism" right-wing?)
    "My heart sings for you both. Imagine it singing. la la la la."- Hannah Kay

"if you keep calling average working people idiots i am sure they will be more apt to listen to what you have to say. "-bcbm

"Sometimes false consciousness can be more destructive than apathy, just like how sometimes, doing nothing is actually better than doing the wrong thing."- Robocommie

"The ruling class would tremble, and the revolution would be all but assured." -Explosive Situation, on the Revleft Merry Prankster bus
    Join Date Nov 2005
    Location UK
    Posts 16,778
    Rep Power 0

JD:

Why is Chomsky's view right-wing?
    Because he holds that language is innate and not a social product, created in collective labour.

He has not done so, but others have put his ideas to right-wing use -- Pinker for one.

It is all of a piece with claims that 'biology is destiny', and that our nature is constrained by our genetic make-up, and thus cannot be altered.

Language used to be a gift of the 'gods' (according to ruling-class hacks); now it is gift of our genes. We did not create it, it created us.

If you can, get hold of Fiona Cowie's book 'What's Within: Nativism Reconsidered'. In her introduction, she makes similar points.
    The apathetic leftist Committed User
    Join Date Aug 2006
    Location Florida or Puerto Rico
    Posts 3,233
    Organisation
    Sympathizer of: IWW, NEFAC, AFED, RAAN
    Rep Power 42

Thanks.

Yeah, recently it seems that (mostly in academia, I don't see people discussing the validity of evolutionary psychology,etc) they been pushing genetic/biological reasons to support the status quo.

(If I become a professor of psychology, etc {leaning on Social Psychology} I would probably have to take a side and attack those theories...)
    Last edited by Raúl Duke; 22nd January 2008 at 23:45.
    "My heart sings for you both. Imagine it singing. la la la la."- Hannah Kay

"if you keep calling average working people idiots i am sure they will be more apt to listen to what you have to say. "-bcbm

"Sometimes false consciousness can be more destructive than apathy, just like how sometimes, doing nothing is actually better than doing the wrong thing."- Robocommie

"The ruling class would tremble, and the revolution would be all but assured." -Explosive Situation, on the Revleft Merry Prankster bus
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Posts 2,334
    Rep Power 22

That our nature is constrained by our genes can be seen in Pavlov's experiments with dogs. That humans can be manipulated with ease does not deny our potential for cultural and other advancements.

Just as evolutionary biology can acknowledge the existence of spandrels, so can linguistics theorists acknowledge that human beings live and interact within a complex system. IMO this is a situation that promises as many solutions as there are limitations.

Links appreciated, thanks
    Last edited by Lynx; 23rd January 2008 at 07:28. Reason: add note of thanks
    Join Date Nov 2005
    Location UK
    Posts 16,778
    Rep Power 0

Lynx, you are confusing 'nature' with behaviour.

And, we still do not know if behaviour is genetically controlled/constrained, or even what it means to suggest that it is.