Thread: Dialectics for Kids

Join Date Jun 2005
    Location the free world
    Posts 4,717
    Rep Power 0

I initially became familiar with this program through the movie Half Nelson. For those who haven't seen the movie, the main character is a teacher who teaches a social studies class through dialectics. He teaches junior high kids, which is what I thought strange. I don't even fully understand dialectics, what on earth is he doing teaching inner-city junior high kids dialectics. Through further research I discovered the movie is actually using a program called Dialectics for Kids.

The program has a website which advocates the teaching of dialectics through pre-school on up. This might be a good site for people with no base in philosophy to begin to comprehend dialectics.

Dan Dunne (Ryan Gosling) teaches each of Engel's three laws of dialectics in the class. He even numbers them on the blackboard:
    1- Opposites,
    2 - Turning points,
    3 - He doesn't name the third law of dialectics on the board, but he describes it in class, saying "change moves in spirals, not circles"

Although I think a lot of it may be a bit oversimplified, I find most of it easy to understand and well thought out.

http://www.dialectics4kids.com/
    Join Date Nov 2005
    Location UK
    Posts 16,778
    Rep Power 0

FOB, this is one of the worst sites I have ever seen on dialectics (and that is saying something&#33.

I e-mailed its owner to tell him all his ideas had been trashed at my site.

Why you are recommending it beats me.
    Join Date Nov 2005
    Location Ireland
    Posts 817
    Rep Power 23

Thanks FoB
    "But like Trotskyites working with fascists in the USSR to plant no warning bombs to rip out the lungs of Soviet children from their tiny rib cages you will probably choose to turn a blind eye." - RedSunRising

RIP tech,you will be missed

Marxist Book Resource
    Committed Revolutionary Committed User
    Join Date Nov 2005
    Location 127.0.0.1
    Posts 10,131
    Rep Power 22

This site has actually been one of the recommended sites for dialectics in the RL dictionary for quite some time.

RevLeft dictionary
    Join Date Apr 2004
    Location U$A
    Posts 3,698
    Rep Power 28

This is the Revleft info on dialectics.
    Dialectics

A science used to explain the way nature and societies change. Karl Marx used dialectics to explain his theories on historical materialism. Marx's theory is often refered to as Dialectical Materialism.

Further Reading

What the heck is dialectics?
    Dialectics for kids
    Dialectics of Nature - Frederick Engels
    What is Dialectical Materialism - Rob Sewell
    Dialectical Materialism - John Pickard
    Yeah, Rosa I don't see your web site on the list for understanding dialectics or, I guess, negating dialectics.
    You can't learn to swim in a library.
    Join Date Nov 2005
    Location UK
    Posts 16,778
    Rep Power 0

PP, yes I see you are right.

Must fix that!!! :angry:

Thanks for the tip-off!
    Global Moderator Supporter
    Forum Moderator
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Jul 2006
    Location Toronto
    Posts 4,186
    Organisation
    NOTA
    Rep Power 62

I love it!
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Posts 94
    Rep Power 0

Cool site. Very sweet.

http://www.dialectics4kids.com/
    Join Date Nov 2004
    Location Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    Posts 3,199
    Organisation
    International Marxist Tendency/ Hands Off Venezuela
    Rep Power 16

The last two are actually pretty good for displaying the basis of dialectics.
    In what relations do the Communists stand to the proletarians as a whole? The Communists do not form a separate party opposed to other working class parties. They have no interests separate and apart from those of the proletariat as a whole. They do not set up any sectarian principles of their own, by which to shape and mould the proletarian movement.
    -Karl Marx

It is only by strengthening ourselves ideologically, inculcating in ourselves the values and ideals of the struggle and building up the ranks of the revolutionary party that we will make it.
    - Ta Power
    Join Date Nov 2005
    Location UK
    Posts 16,778
    Rep Power 0

I disagree; it is based on entirely discredited philosophy.

None of the 'logical' arguments work, and the facts it quotes do not support dialectical materialism.

It is quite the worst site I have seen on this bogus theory.

More details here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rosa.l/Why%20...Oppose%20DM.htm
    Join Date Nov 2004
    Location Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    Posts 3,199
    Organisation
    International Marxist Tendency/ Hands Off Venezuela
    Rep Power 16

Can we not turn this into another anti-dialectics debate? It's been done and gone round in cirlces a million times. If you're not going to debate weather this is useful in relation to learning about dialectics can we have the discussion elsewhere?
    In what relations do the Communists stand to the proletarians as a whole? The Communists do not form a separate party opposed to other working class parties. They have no interests separate and apart from those of the proletariat as a whole. They do not set up any sectarian principles of their own, by which to shape and mould the proletarian movement.
    -Karl Marx

It is only by strengthening ourselves ideologically, inculcating in ourselves the values and ideals of the struggle and building up the ranks of the revolutionary party that we will make it.
    - Ta Power
    Committed Revolutionary Committed User
    Join Date Nov 2005
    Location 127.0.0.1
    Posts 10,131
    Rep Power 22

Merged.
    Join Date Oct 2005
    Location san luis obispo, ca
    Posts 2,974
    Organisation
    Kasama Project
    Rep Power 15

Is it safe to do away with dialectics if Marx was a dialectician? His earlier writings prove this, and it is a crucial part of his later writings, mainly Capital.

He uses the Hegelian dialectic in a real, concrete manner than a mystical one no?
    Kasama Project- We Are the Ones

South Asia Revolution - Information Project

Kasama Threads

"Settle your quarrels, come together, understand the reality of our situation, understand that fascism is already here, that people are dying who could be saved, that generations more will live poor butchered half-lives if you fail to act. Do what must be done, discover your humanity and your love in revolution." - George Jackson
    Join Date Jun 2006
    Location England
    Posts 8,376
    Rep Power 73

Originally posted by hastalavictoria@May 12, 2007 12:26 am
    Is it safe to do away with dialectics if Marx was a dialectician?
    Yes, unless you're some dogmatic wankbag that takes Marx's writings to be holy writ and the man himself to be infallible.
    Sciences & Environment rocks my bedroom.

[FONT=Arial]Say what you mean and say it mean...[/FONT]

"Frankly if we have a revolution and you stop me eating meat, I'm going to eat you."- The inimitable Skinz.

Be careful, lest the time comes where we have to weigh you against a duck.
    Join Date Oct 2005
    Posts 2,974
    Organisation
    Kasama Project
    Rep Power 15

Not at all; I am very vague as to what dialectics are.

I'll take a peek at Rosa's Essays.

Kasama Threads

"Settle your quarrels, come together, understand the reality of our situation, understand that fascism is already here, that people are dying who could be saved, that generations more will live poor butchered half-lives if you fail to act. Do what must be done, discover your humanity and your love in revolution." - George Jackson
    Join Date Jun 2005
    Location the free world
    Posts 4,717
    Rep Power 0

I wouldn't suggest reading Rosa's essays unless you are proficient in philosophy and/or dialectics. I don't even understand them. Someone should make an antidialectics4kids.com. Not that I'm necessarily anti-dialectics, but I think people should look at both sides.
    Join Date Oct 2005
    Posts 2,974
    Organisation
    Kasama Project
    Rep Power 15

True dat.

But its so abstract and confusing that I just feel like not reading it at all.

Kasama Threads

Join Date Nov 2005
    Location UK
    Posts 16,778
    Rep Power 0

BB:

Can we not turn this into another anti-dialectics debate? It's been done and gone round in cirlces a million times. If you're not going to debate weather this is useful in relation to learning about dialectics can we have the discussion elsewhere?
    No chance!

These mystics have got away with this boll*cks for far too long.
    Join Date Nov 2005
    Location UK
    Posts 16,778
    Rep Power 0

HastaV:

Is it safe to do away with dialectics if Marx was a dialectician? His earlier writings prove this, and it is a crucial part of his later writings, mainly Capital.
    Except, Marx himself says that in Capital he merely "coquetted" with Hegelian jargon, and even then only in a few places (especially in chapter one).

That is the extent of the 'rational' kernel: a few bits of jargon.

So, whatever Marx did in his earlier work, by the time he came to write Capital, he had come to see things the way I do

So, he agreed with me; only I go further.
    Join Date Nov 2005
    Location UK
    Posts 16,778
    Rep Power 0

FOB:

I wouldn't suggest reading Rosa's essays unless you are proficient in philosophy and/or dialectics. I don't even understand them. Someone should make an antidialectics4kids.com. Not that I'm necessarily anti-dialectics, but I think people should look at both sides.
    Done it, here:

http://anonym.to/?http://homepage.ntlworld...Oppose%20DM.htm

If that is too difficult, let me know, and I will make it simpler!