Thread: Wolfenstein Theme Song

Join Date Mar 2004
    Posts 1,255
    Rep Power 15

I know that the theme song that was used for the original Wolfenstein (possibly the new one too, havn't played it) was an actual Nazi themed song. I heard it played at a small Nazi gathering at a boarding house in this movie about south africa..the name of which i also forget. But anyway, what is the name of this song? And does anyone know how it originated?
    Join Date Apr 2004
    Location nobody knows where you are, how near or how far
    Posts 84
    Rep Power 14

It's called "Horst Wessel Lied" - Horst Wessel's Song

Horst Wessel was an average SA (Sturmabteilung -- literally, Storm Detachment; which was the Nazi goon squad) trooper and local party leader in Berlin. He was killed in a street brawl with Communists in 1930, but not before leaving the words and music to the tune that became the Nazi anthem. It was played along with the official German national anthem, whose tune is still used today, although with different lyrics than what was played in Nazi Germany. :hammer:

Lyrics:

Horst Wessel Lied

Die Fahne hoch die Reihen fest geschlossen
    S. A. marschiert mit ruhig festem Schritt
    Kam'raden die Rotfront und Reaktion erschossen
    Marschier'n im Geist in unsern Reihen mit

Die Strasse frei den braunen Batallionen
    Die Strasse frei dem Sturmabteilungsmann
    Es schau'n auf's Hackenkreuz voll Hoffung schon Millionen
    Der Tag fur Freiheit und fur Brot bricht an

Zum letzen Mal wird nun Appell geblasen
    Zum Kampfe steh'n wir alle schon bereit
    Bald flattern Hitler-fahnen Uber allen Strassen
    Die Knechtschaft dauert nur mehr kurze Zeit

Die Fahne hoch die Reihen fest geschlossen
    S. A. marschiert mit ruhig festem Schritt
    Kam'raden die Rotfront und Reaktion erschossen
    Marschier'n im Geist in unsern Reihen mit

Translation

Flag high, ranks closed,
    The S.A. marches with silent solid steps.
    Comrades shot by the red front and reaction
    march in spirit with us in our ranks.

The street free for the brown battalions,
    The street free for the Storm Troopers.
    Millions, full of hope, look up at the swastika;
    The day breaks for freedom and for bread.

For the last time the call will now be blown;
    For the struggle now we all stand ready.
    Soon will fly Hitler-flags over every street;
    Slavery will last only a short time longer.

Flag high, ranks closed,
    The S.A. marches with silent solid steps.
    Comrades shot by the red front and reaction
    march in spirit with us in our ranks.
    I wander through each charter'd street.
    Near where the charter'd Thames does flow
    And mark in every face I meet
    Marks of weakness, marks of woe.

In every cry of every Man,
    In every Infants cry of fear,
    In every voice: in every ban,
    The mind-forg'd manacles I hear

How the Chimney-sweepers cry
    Every blackning Church appalls,
    And the hapless Soldiers sigh
    Runs in blood down Palace walls

But most thro' midnight streets I hear
    How the youthful Harlots curse
    Blasts the new-born Infants tear
    And blights with plagues the Marriage hearse
    Join Date Mar 2004
    Posts 1,255
    Rep Power 15

Wow thanks, you're pretty informed.
    Join Date Mar 2002
    Location Stockholm
    Posts 4,068
    Organisation
    Committee for a Workers' International
    Rep Power 25

I found this, not sure if it's what you're looking for. I haven't played Wolfenstein in about 10 years.

http://www.mazedude.com/originalvgmu...fenstein3D.mp3
    There were two “Reigns of Terror,” if we would but remember it and consider it; the one wrought murder in hot passion, the other in heartless cold blood; the one lasted mere months, the other had lasted a thousand years; the one inflicted death upon ten thousand persons, the other upon a hundred millions; but our shudders are all for the “horrors” of the minor Terror, the momentary Terror, so to speak; whereas, what is the horror of swift death by the axe, compared with lifelong death from hunger, cold, insult, cruelty, and heart-break? What is swift death by lightning compared with death by slow fire at the stake? A city cemetery could contain the coffins filled by that brief Terror which we have all been so diligently taught to shiver at and mourn over; but all France could hardly contain the coffins filled by that older and real Terror... --- Mark Twain
    Join Date Mar 2004
    Posts 1,255
    Rep Power 15

That's a nice audio clip, but the one I'm thinking of is the tune that is played when you first open the game.
    Join Date Apr 2004
    Location nobody knows where you are, how near or how far
    Posts 84
    Rep Power 14

Some more detailed info on the whole Horst Wessel thing, the idea that he died from a brawl in the street is Nazi propaganda (my apologies):

The Horst Wessel Lied was the anthem of the Nazi Party, chosen to glorify Horst Wessel as a Nazi martyr. Wessel (September 9, 1907, in Bielefeld-February 23, 1930 in Berlin) was the son of a pastor who abandoned his studies of Law in 1926 to join the Nazi Brownshirt paramilitary in the final days of the Weimar Republic. He soon caught the attention of Joseph Goebbels, who sent him to Vienna in 1928 to organize the Nazi youth movement there. Intelligent and politically astute, Wessel was also extremely violent. Upon returning to Germany, he organized an attack on the local headquarters of the Communist Party in Friedrichshain, Berlin, during which four workers sustained serious injuries. This prompted Heinz Neumann, editor of the Communist Red Flag daily to call on party members to "Beat the fascists wherever you find them," exacerbating the already tense political situation. On January 14, 1930, Wessel got into a heated argument with his landlady, the widow of a Communist Party member.

Although the exact details of the argument are still debated, what is know is that: 1) she claimed Wessel refused to pay his rent--alternately, she may have tried to raise it and Wessel refused to pay the difference; 2) she claimed he threatened to beat her; 3) Wessel refused to pay rent for his girlfriend, a prostitute (according to some accounts, a former prostitute reformed by Wessel)--since the landlady was herself subletting to Wessel, she feared she would lose the rights to her apartment because a prostitute was living there. Rather than approach the police, the landlady went to a local tavern frequented by Communists for help.

The Communists saw this as an ideal opportunity to avenge themselves on Wessel for the earlier attack. Two men, Ali Höhler, a tough with underworld connections, and Erwin Rückert, an active party member, went to Wessel's apartment. When he opened the door for them, Höhler shot him in the head. He died several weeks later from his injuries. The shooting was immediately exploited by by the Nazis and the Communists to further their political aims. The Communists portrayed Wessel as a pimp, while the Nazis claimed he had actually saved his girlfriend from a life of prostitution by introducing her to the Nazi Party and its values. Goebbels organized a public funeral for the new "martyr" to the Nazi cause, and 30,000 people lined the streets of Berlin to see the procession. Goebbels delivered the eulogy in the presence of Herman Göring and Prince August Wilhelm of Prussia.

During the Nazi era, his life was glorified in memorials, books, and films. Some months before he died, Wessel had written the verses to what would become the "Horst Wessel Lied," but it first gained popular currency when a choir of Stormtrooopers performed it at his funeral. It was later recorded, and in 1931 it became the official anthem of the Nazi Party, played alongside Deutschland über Alles at all official occasions. The song celebrates the SA (whom Hitler would soon purge in the Night of the Long Knives).

from here

And heres a short clip of it:Horst Wessel Leid
    I wander through each charter'd street.
    Near where the charter'd Thames does flow
    And mark in every face I meet
    Marks of weakness, marks of woe.

In every cry of every Man,
    In every Infants cry of fear,
    In every voice: in every ban,
    The mind-forg'd manacles I hear

How the Chimney-sweepers cry
    Every blackning Church appalls,