Thread: Panpsychism and Anti-Dialectics

Join Date Feb 2018
    Posts 6
    Rep Power 0

Default Panpsychism and Anti-Dialectics

Hi all

Panpsychism is the view that consciousness is a fundamental and ubiquitous property of nature.

Although panpsychism is generally consistent with Dialectical Materialism, contemporary panpsychism uses the tools of Analytic Philosophy and has no relation to Hegelianism.

I'm not sure where Rosa is these days, but if there are any supporters of Anti-Dialectics out there - What is your take on panpsychism?

For those new to panpsychism, the website of Philip Goff is a great place to start learning (just google his name to find it),

Cheers
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location traveling (U.S.)
    Posts 15,288
    Rep Power 65

Here are a few of examples of this fine-tuning for life:

The strong nuclear force (the force that binds together the elements in the nucleus of an atom) has a value of 0.007. If that value had been 0.006 or less, the Universe would have contained nothing but hydrogen. If it had been 0.008 or higher, the hydrogen would have fused to make heavier elements. In either case, any kind of chemical complexity would have been physically impossible. And without chemical complexity there can be no life.

This kind of (usually religious) argument is decidedly *linear*, and it doesn't account for the complexity of *interactions* among the various components of physical / natural reality. (Which would, like multiple drops down into a body of water that produce constructive and destructive amplitudes of interacting circular waves, tend to form complex multiple nonlinear *correlations* among the elements, materials, etc.)

Yes, the dynamic of life looks to be rare in the universe due to requiring very specific conditions in the surrounding environment for its support, but I don't think that fact necessarily translates to all components needing such tightly constrained parameters, as this formulation above contends. (For example, look at how the earth's atmosphere is still *livable* for many kinds of life despite all of the chemical waste products ejected into it, for centuries now.) (Not that I'm *advocating* more pollution, of course.)

It's just that planet earth happens to be one of few, if any-other, environments that is capable of supporting life, and that actually sparked it as well (exoplanets have now been discovered that may *resemble* earth, but may not have life regardless).

And all of this is certainly far-removed and separate from the claim that non-conscious materials in the universe are somehow *conscious*, at some level.
    Join Date Sep 2010
    Location United States
    Posts 1,896
    Rep Power 16

Panpsychism is the view that consciousness is a fundamental and ubiquitous property of nature.
    This means that consciousness is universal, is everywhere, has existed forever, has no beginning except maybe in the Big Bank (I was going to edit that, but I think I will leave it), and will exist in its current form until the universe ends. It means that rocks are conscious (you may not remember the "pet rock" revolution,) that the dinosaurs possessed consciousness, that microscopic viruses possess consciousness.

Panpsychism and anti-dialectics deny that consciousness has any beginning or development, that it is dialectic and that it has its own evolutionary development. Historical materialism claims that consciousness began with the development of language and the use of tools by humans; that is, has developed through the different stages of material production, through slavery, serfdom and now capitalism.

BTW, Rosa Lichenstein was banished from this site about 5 yrs ago. She used to have her own site but I can't find her now. She claimed to be an historical materialist but was an unrelenting anti-dialectical materialist.
    Last edited by RedMaterialist; 12th February 2018 at 19:25. Reason: big bank
    Join Date Feb 2018
    Posts 6
    Rep Power 0

Things can get confused here with how "consciousness' is defined. I would define it as to do with subjectivity, the most basic levels of which are feelings and sensation, or something even more primitive than this.

Some quotes from Lenin:

"..it is logical to assert that all matter possesses a property which is essentially akin to sensation, the property of reflection"

"matter is not devoid of the basic capacity for “sensation,” which provides such rich “spiritual” fruits among the higher animals."

In relation to fine tuning, if the Universe if fine tuned for life, then I think an argument could also be developed that it is fine tuned for Communism on the basis of the continual development of more progressive and advanced forms of matter.
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location traveling (U.S.)
    Posts 15,288
    Rep Power 65

[Rosa Lichenstein] claimed to be an historical materialist but was an unrelenting anti-dialectical materialist.

As a sidebar, I'll note that there *may* be some compatibility between dialectics and anti-dialectics, counter-intuitively -- for example, here's a diagram I made:

History, Macro-Micro -- politics-logistics-lifestyle

It uses two separate gradients / continuums based on scale, from small ('micro') to large ('macro'), that of [1] 'Objective (Natural) Reality - Geography, Climate, Resources'; 'People'; 'Events'; 'Rulers / Popular Leaders / Presidents / Officials'; 'Movements / Institutions'; 'Empires / Nation-States / City-States'; 'Regional Culture'; 'Economic Trends'; 'Technology / Technique'; 'Mode of Production'; and 'Class Struggle'. [2] 'Lifestyle'; 'Logistics'; 'Politics'.

In each of these gradients / continuums one could pair *any two* adjacent categories, say -- [1] 'People' and 'Events', or [2] 'Lifestyle' and 'Logistics' -- and look at them dialectically. [Pro-dialectics]

However one could also look at each of these continuums *as a whole*, and say that there's no overall, *comprehensive* dialectics to either. (A continuum can have more intermediate discrete steps than just a binary pairing.) [Anti-dialectics]
    Join Date Sep 2010
    Location United States
    Posts 1,896
    Rep Power 16

Interesting...dialectics and anti-dialectics contain their own unity and contradiction.