Thread: Anglo chauvinism on revleft

Join Date Oct 2017
    Posts 25
    Rep Power 0

Default Anglo chauvinism on revleft

Down the years some rather crude chauvinism(including out and out racism) has often been expressed on these forums by members who come from Anglo-Saxon countries.

The question I pose is why is this tolerated?
    I'm quite sure if, say from example, a German or Japanese person were to post chauvinistic sentiments on revleft they would be banned within an instant (and quite rightly too!). So why do chauvinists from Anglo-Saxon countries get away with what chauvinists from other countries aren't allowed to?

My answer is that as these are English-language forums a disproportionately large number of person on these forums are from the Anglo-Saxon world and that to reprimand users from Britain and the so-called dominions(Australia, Canada and new Zealand) would have alienated too many users and greatly diminished revleft's popularity.
    Ted Grant was a gimp.
    Join Date Jun 2017
    Posts 8
    Rep Power 0

i dont know but it is totally against Leninist principles... I wish people would simply study Lenin's work on imperialism and understand solidarity
    Join Date Aug 2016
    Location Wandering
    Posts 48
    Rep Power 0

What particular incident of anglo-chauvinism are you referring to?
  4. The Following User Says Thank You to perardua For This Useful Post:

fire to the prisons Forum Moderator
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Aug 2005
    Posts 6,063
    Rep Power 100

My answer is that as these are English-language forums a disproportionately large number of person on these forums are from the Anglo-Saxon world and that to reprimand users from Britain and the so-called dominions(Australia, Canada and new Zealand) would have alienated too many users and greatly diminished revleft's popularity.
    You have no idea how many Anglo-Saxon users from Britain, Australia, and so forth have been banned from this board, but I assure you it's a ton. In fact, other than outright trolls/fash, I'd venture that these users represent the large majority of users banned from this board.

I fail to see what point you are making here.
    If we have no business with the construction of the future or with organizing it for all time, there can still be no doubt about the task confronting us at present: the ruthless criticism of the existing order, ruthless in that it will shrink neither from its own discoveries, nor from conflict with the powers that be.
    - Karl Marx
  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Decolonize The Left For This Useful Post:

Join Date Dec 2003
    Location Oakland, California
    Posts 8,151
    Rep Power 164

Please define what you mean by chauvinism and maybe some examples of types of arguments made.
    Join Date Oct 2017
    Posts 25
    Rep Power 0

A specific examples include racist "white man's burden"-type justifications British colonialism in the 19th century.

Another common(but less overt) pro-imperialist trope is attacks upon national liberation struggles from the standpoint of ultra-leftism i.e. criticising anti-imperialist movements for sometimes including non-proletarian elements and not being ideologically pure enough.
    Ted Grant was a gimp.
    Join Date Aug 2016
    Location Wandering
    Posts 48
    Rep Power 0

That's not very specific at all. What did these justifications look like, where were they written/said, who made them? Which national liberation struggles? Which anti-imperialist movements? "Not being ideologically pure enough" means what in this case?
    Join Date Oct 2017
    Posts 25
    Rep Power 0

That's not very specific at all. What did these justifications look like, where were they written/said, who made them? Which national liberation struggles? Which anti-imperialist movements? "Not being ideologically pure enough" means what in this case?
    I can't provide links to theses instances of chauvinism until I've reached 25 posts on this forum.
    Ted Grant was a gimp.
    Join Date Dec 2003
    Posts 8,151
    Rep Power 164

I would find it hard to believe that someone would go unopposed if they were plainly justifying British colonial rule, but I wouldn’t be all that shocked if a politically green person made a crude Marxist argument about “historically progressive” aspects of “modernization” caused by colonialism. It’s a dumb argument, but I hardly think it’s a common thread of political thought on this site.

The second one is likely more due to an actual political disagreement. Reasons of “political purity”... i think that misses the mark? Left-coms oppose any alliance with nationalists under any circumstances, but their reasons are due to a political analysis of the dynamics of class forces, not the purity of a political program.
    Join Date Aug 2016
    Location Wandering
    Posts 48
    Rep Power 0

I can't provide links to theses instances of chauvinism until I've reached 25 posts on this forum.
    You can post the string after the main address, like so:

/vb/threads/200114-Anglo-chauvinism-on-revleft?p=2890432#post2890432

I hope this is not interpreted as me trying to teach someone how to cheat the system. I am assuming this is common knowledge. (And I assume the prohibition against links is mainly a defense against spambots).
  13. The Following User Says Thank You to perardua For This Useful Post:

Join Date Oct 2017
    Posts 25
    Rep Power 0

You have no idea how many Anglo-Saxon users from Britain, Australia, and so forth have been banned from this board, but I assure you it's a ton. In fact, other than outright trolls/fash, I'd venture that these users represent the large majority of users banned from this board.

I fail to see what point you are making here.
    Unless you're going to provide specific examples of these Anglos being reprimanded for exhibiting chauvinist tendencies I can't give this claim any credence whatsoever.

Some Anglo chauvinists haven't just been merely tolerated by the forum moderators but shielded from criticism.
    Ted Grant was a gimp.
    Join Date Dec 2003
    Posts 8,151
    Rep Power 164

Unless you're going to provide specific examples of these Anglos being reprimanded for exhibiting chauvinist tendencies I can't give this claim any credence whatsoever.

Some Anglo chauvinists haven't just been merely tolerated by the forum moderators but shielded from criticism.
    Goes both ways. Please copy and paste links to these chauvinist arguments first. I could not find any in a search and frankly I’ve heard a lot of odd arguments on this site but can’t remember any where people supported British imperialism.
    Join Date Oct 2017
    Posts 25
    Rep Power 0

Goes both ways. Please copy and paste links to these chauvinist arguments first. I could not find any in a search and frankly I’ve heard a lot of odd arguments on this site but can’t remember any where people supported British imperialism.
    I intend on posting examples of Anglo chauvinism once I reach 25 posts.
    Ted Grant was a gimp.
  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan woods is a windbag For This Useful Post: