Thread: Hegel and contradiction

Join Date Nov 2017
    Location Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts 17
    Rep Power 0

Default Hegel and contradiction

How exactly does Hegelian dialectic survive the formal logic of the law of noncontradiction? I have been seeing people say it does without explanation.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
    Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 262
    Rep Power 11

A word of advice for new posters, don't try to be too edgy/lazy with your questions. Provide citations, quotes and context so that we see you at least did some prior research, and also so that people can better respond to your questions.
    Join Date Nov 2017
    Posts 17
    Rep Power 0

A word of advice for new posters, don't try to be too edgy/lazy with your questions. Provide citations, quotes and context so that we see you at least did some prior research, and also so that people can better respond to your questions.
    What do you mean exactly? This is literally all the information I had when I learned of such criticism, and I looked into it and could find no such information. So, maybe, some advice to more experienced posters, do be condescending and help me through my intellectual journey

Join Date Nov 2017
    Posts 17
    Rep Power 0

And apologies if that seemed very confrontational, but your comment seemed to me very condescending.

Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 262
    Rep Power 11

What you said indicates they (who are probably just youtube commentators) haven't read Hegel. So ask them for a fuller explanation or references where they picked up that criticism; they are the ones making the criticism. The burden is on them. If you can't/won't communicate with them, then it doesn't matter, for your intellectual journey will not be affected by their unexplained claims.
    Join Date Sep 2010
    Location United States
    Posts 1,892
    Rep Power 16

How exactly does Hegelian dialectic survive the formal logic of the law of noncontradiction? I have been seeing people say it does without explanation.

I think it might be better to ask whether the law of non-contradiction survives Hegel. According to Hegel contradiction and non contradiction are merely two aspects of the same dialectic. As Trotsky says, A is never equal to A, and A is always changing to equal non-A, (ABCs of Dialectical Materialism.) Since everything is always changing and developing over time, it is impossible to establish a static, ideal law like the law of non contraction.

Another law of non contradiction: no two things can occupy the same space at the same time. Quantum Physics has long since disproved this. Subatomic particles constantly occupy the same places at the same time.
    Join Date Jan 2013
    Posts 2,890
    Organisation
    The lol people
    Rep Power 50

dude you got like 260 posts you are a new user don't front

TragicFarce also asked a pretty simple question that RedMat answered readily. I halfway bet you're trying to cover for not understanding the question or the answer by accusing TF of being "lazy" or "edgy".
    "I'm not interested in indulging whims from members of your faction."
    Seeing as this is seen as acceptable by an admin, from here on out when I have a disagreement with someone I will be asking them to reference this. If you want an explanation of my views, too bad.
    Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 262
    Rep Power 11

I signed up as a member over five and a half years ago, which seems a bit longer than your membership, BIXX, not that this matters. The impression that TF himself honestly admits giving is that of a newbie, in fact with typical passive aggressiveness this involves.

Redmat indeed answered , fair fucks to him, but will it prompt a thoughtful response by TF?; is it not just the expected reassuring answer demanded: is it not a bit lazy (short, providing no actual quotes from Hegel)?

Us more experienced users (or readers) of Revleft know in the past there were almost chapter length polemics with RosaLichtenstein on these types of questions about dialectics.

As for the question of TF, it was more of a statement really (Hegel's dialectic doesn't survive the law of non-contradication) dressed up as a question. So not very sincere I think.
    Join Date Jan 2013
    Posts 2,890
    Organisation
    The lol people
    Rep Power 50

I signed up as a member over five and a half years ago, which seems a bit longer than your membership, BIXX, not that this matters. The impression that TF himself honestly admits giving is that of a newbie, in fact with typical passive aggressiveness this involves.

Redmat indeed answered , fair fucks to him, but will it prompt a thoughtful response by TF?; is it not just the expected reassuring answer demanded: is it not a bit lazy (short, providing no actual quotes from Hegel)?

Us more experienced users (or readers) of Revleft know in the past there were almost chapter length polemics with RosaLichtenstein on these types of questions about dialectics.

As for the question of TF, it was more of a statement really (Hegel's dialectic doesn't survive the law of non-contradication) dressed up as a question. So not very sincere I think.
    So you're going to accusing the users who actually helped out as being lazy while all you've accomplished is fronting as some elitist try hard. You're also pretending to read TF's mind and accuse him of "not being sincere", as if his question wasn't serious. Or, even worse, pretending that all questions need 40 pages of rosa posts given that maybe it was just an idle interest? Does every question have to be so serious as to require rosa posting?
    Seeing as this is seen as acceptable by an admin, from here on out when I have a disagreement with someone I will be asking them to reference this. If you want an explanation of my views, too bad.
    Join Date Nov 2017
    Posts 17
    Rep Power 0

So you're going to accusing the users who actually helped out as being lazy while all you've accomplished is fronting as some elitist try hard. You're also pretending to read TF's mind and accuse him of "not being sincere", as if his question wasn't serious. Or, even worse, pretending that all questions need 40 pages of rosa posts given that maybe it was just an idle interest? Does every question have to be so serious as to require rosa posting?
    Lmao you two got so into this

Join Date Jan 2013
    Posts 2,890
    Organisation
    The lol people
    Rep Power 50

I just think the elitist attitudes to simple questions that NR had on display here is an attempt to belittle other people when encountering something you don't know the answer to.
    Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 262
    Rep Power 11

As expected, TF didn't have the courtesy to give a thoughtful response to the post of Redmaterialist (whom I thanked for his effort, that's what "fair fucks" means BIXX), and if it was such a great help (as BIXX believes), all the more reason to reply to Redmaterialist's post, especially if TF's question was sincere. But perhaps BIXX knew I would be right, so he created this distraction allowing TF a chance to quietly disappear (but not before throwing in another glib remark of course).

So it's not about Redmaterialist's answer (which I'm sure it didn't take him much effort, or do you have such a low opinion of him, BIXX?), but about a frequent attitude new posters (I made clear that I am not singling out TF) display when they open threads. Show that you did some research: all I expect is that you at least took the effort to google some keywords (in this case: Hegel, law of non-contradiction) and you will find tons of material that you can read and quote (including Rosa Lichtenstein's site Anti-Dialectics). So again BIXX, it is you who has such a low opinion of people, that they aren't able to use google.

You also speculated that I failed to understand TF's question or that I didn't know the answer. Indeed, if the question is unclear, the answer can't be given. Hence the importance of precise questions.

But there were large similar threads before, so that TF's post (which is merely referencing a controversy, and not really reached the stage of a question yet) is even less excusable. And we should not care about the "intellectual journey" of TF, as one individual, but about the quality of the forum.
    Join Date Jan 2018
    Posts 10
    Rep Power 0

What do you mean exactly? nothing exactly