Capitalist Temptations | Wanna get rid of those stupid ads? Us too! Help us to be non-dependent from corporate money again and sign up for a monthly donation now!

Thread: What are you watching?

Join Date Jan 2005
    Location The Upside Down
    Posts 11,374
    Rep Power 195

Default What are you watching?

I can't find the other thread that I think is going so I made a new one since iirc that one was getting long.

Stranger Things.

I like the 80's setting and I like the theme/soundtrack aside from the actual 80's songs they play throughout. Once they started doing that it became a bit forced. The plot isn't poorly done but they haven't made the good scenes memorable enough, like where she turns over the board game and describes what's happening through that (being vague to not spoil it)- I think they could have used that scene and scenes like it to connect with people through nostalgia cuz our memories are magical, the scenes they're trying to push damn well better resemble that or surpass it in dramatization imo. There are now stretches where nothing happens and when something finally happens it's just a cliff hanger which could be cool when everything comes together.

I haven't watched donnie darko for a long time but I think that movie did a good job with a lot of what this show is trying to do.
    "whatever they might make would never be the same as that world of dark streets and bright dreams"

http://youtu.be/g-PwIDYbDqI
    Join Date Jan 2005
    Location The Upside Down
    Posts 11,374
    Rep Power 195

This is a pretty good show. I haven't looked into it, was it secretly written by Stephen King? Regardless, it 'reads' like the best Stephen King movie ever. Aside from the nods, it follows like his books down to the tiniest details. It has gotten a lot better after a few episodes.
    Last edited by Ele'ill; 13th September 2017 at 03:42.
    "whatever they might make would never be the same as that world of dark streets and bright dreams"

Join Date Jan 2005
    Location The Upside Down
    Posts 11,374
    Rep Power 195

They really have something special going on with this show imo I hope they don't fuck it up.

Last edited by Ele'ill; 13th September 2017 at 19:09.

Join Date Jan 2005
    Location The Upside Down
    Posts 11,374
    Rep Power 195

heh

Join Date Oct 2011
    Location UK
    Posts 978
    Rep Power 29

if you like stranger things defo watch the new It, they're aesthetically and thematically very similar.... and yeah stranger things is basically a pastiche to Stephen King, E.T and the goonies :P
    Modern democracy is nothing but the freedom to preach whatever is to the advantage of the bourgeoisie - Lenin

Join Date Oct 2004
    Location Halifax, NS
    Posts 3,392
    Organisation
    Sounds authoritarian . . .
    Rep Power 70

I'm four episodes into Season 4 of Bojack Horseman.
    It's one of very few television shows I've watched in the last decade.
    The life we have conferred upon these objects confronts us as something hostile and alien.

Formerly Virgin Molotov Cocktail (11/10/2004 - 21/08/2013)