Capitalist Temptations | Wanna get rid of those stupid ads? Us too! Help us to be non-dependent from corporate money again and sign up for a monthly donation now!

Thread: Act Now to Protect Colombian Trade Unionists!

Join Date Mar 2008
    Location traveling (U.S.)
    Posts 14,535
    Rep Power 62

Default Act Now to Protect Colombian Trade Unionists!

Act Now to Protect Colombian Trade Unionists!

If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it online

TAKE ACTION

Dear Chris,

Last month, Alberto Román Acosta González, president of the Guacarí branch of Colombia’s National Union of Agricultural Workers (SINTRAINAGRO), was gunned down by two hired men while watching his son play soccer. For over ten years, Alberto fought for the rights of sugarcane cutters who toil in the fields for up to 14 hours a day and make as little as $200 dollars a month.

Call for justice for Alberto by urging the Colombian government to fully investigate the murder and protect Colombian trade union leaders!

This latest attack is a stark reminder for SINTRAINAGRO – a union that represents 35,000 workers engaged in the production of bananas, sugar cane, palm oil, rice and flowers. Amidst the five decades of armed conflict in Colombia, SINTRAINAGRO has seen some 1,300 of its members murdered in this context, mainly by right-wing paramilitary groups protecting powerful political and business interests.

Despite the historic peace deal signed last November that formally ended the 50 year-long civil war between the Colombian government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, violence against human rights defenders has escalated. According to the United Nations, at least 41 Colombian social movement leaders were killed during the first four months of 2017.

SINTRAINAGRO has asked for international support for their demand that the President of Colombia, Juan Manuel Santos, and his government undertake a full and transparent investigation into the assassination of Alberto Román Acosta González and implement appropriate measures to protect union leaders and members. International pressure is critical to ensuring the safety of trade unionists and workers’ rights activists.

Send an email directly to President Santos and his administration calling on them to take action!

In solidarity,

Gabriela Rosazza
    Stephen Coats Memorial Fellow
    U.S. Labor Education in the Americas Project (USLEAP)

This email was sent by the International Labor Rights Forum.
    Donate | Subscribe | Contact us

Follow us:
    Facebook Twitter

To unsubscribe from future mailings please click here.
    Join Date Jan 2013
    Posts 2,705
    Organisation
    Unaffiliated
    Rep Power 49

Is this sort of thing applicable in all areas of working class struggle? I'm thinking here about asking president Trump to issue a pardon to every j20 political prisoner and whether that would be an effective revolutionary strategy to free our comrades.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

"I don't need to read Stirner or Perlman to critique them."
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to BIXX For This Useful Post:

Join Date Mar 2008
    Posts 14,535
    Rep Power 62

Is this sort of thing applicable in all areas of working class struggle? I'm thinking here about asking president Trump to issue a pardon to every j20 political prisoner and whether that would be an effective revolutionary strategy to free our comrades.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I see petition-signing as being comparable to entryism -- both are decent ways of arriving at an estimation of quantitative support, whether through bourgeois elections or the signing of petitions for specific issues.

But, yeah, they're only a first-step, at best.
    Join Date Jan 2013
    Posts 2,705
    Organisation
    Unaffiliated
    Rep Power 49

What's the point of the estimation of quantitative support if you have to water down your wording and program (if you have a program) so that liberals or the reformist left will sign your petition? Is that strictly revolutionary?

Join Date Mar 2008
    Posts 14,535
    Rep Power 62

What's the point of the estimation of quantitative support if you have to water down your wording and program (if you have a program) so that liberals or the reformist left will sign your petition? Is that strictly revolutionary?

You're implying that the politics of this petition is watered-down -- but isn't it politically appropriate for revolutionaries to support trade unionists who are under attack, and even killed -- ?
    Join Date Jan 2013
    Posts 2,705
    Organisation
    Unaffiliated
    Rep Power 49

If I am murdered by the state I'd hope that my friends would do a hell of a lot more than write a few letters.

Join Date Jan 2013
    Posts 2,705
    Organisation
    Unaffiliated
    Rep Power 49

I guess my view of solidarity just don't line up with something you can do from the comfort of your home without actually engaging and attacking the think that destroys those who you are in solidarity with. It doesn't make me feel better to know that people "support" me through hitting a like button or sending out some email that ultimate means nothing.

Join Date Mar 2008
    Posts 14,535
    Rep Power 62

If I am murdered by the state I'd hope that my friends would do a hell of a lot more than write a few letters.

I guess my view of solidarity just don't line up with something you can do from the comfort of your home without actually engaging and attacking the think that destroys those who you are in solidarity with. It doesn't make me feel better to know that people "support" me through hitting a like button or sending out some email that ultimate means nothing.

Okay, well, it's publicity, and it's better than *not* having it.