"No other word but slave encompassed the life she lived

National Domestic Workers Alliance

She was 18 years old when my grandfather gave her to my mother as a gift, and when my family moved to the United States, we brought her with us. No other word but slave encompassed the life she lived.

And so begins the powerful cover story on The Atlantic this week, My Familys Slave. The she referred to is Eudocia, who is nicknamed Lola by the authors family. Eudocia lived with his family for 56 years as their caregiver, but there is no mistaking her working conditions amounted to human trafficking. Eudocia worked tirelessly day after day without pay, was physically and emotionally abused, and was even isolated from her own family back home in the Philippines. As a trafficked domestic worker, Eudocias story is a common reality.

Take action today on behalf of Eudocia and other survivors of labor trafficking. Ask Congress to reauthorize The Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act (TVPRA). TVPRA is the first comprehensive federal law in the US to address human trafficking both in the US and around the world.

This isnt a story in our past -- millions of women face similar conditions to Eudocia at work right now. In 2016, domestic work represented the largest sector of all labor trafficking cases reported by the National Human Trafficking Resource Center.

When trapped in trafficking situations, women like Eudocia develop expertise on making strategic decisions to survive from one day to the next. They are threatened, abused, monitored, exploited and treated with a lack of dignity or respect. Once a survivor chooses to access safety and assistance, they have to navigate systems and policies that ultimately don't always get them the justice they deserve. Only through the leadership and creativity of domestic workers will others be encouraged to break free from the silence and come forward.

I hope you will join me in asking Congress to reauthorize TVPRA this year. With survivors at the helm, we need to prevent all forms of human trafficking, protect and meet the long-term needs of survivors and hold traffickers accountable. Together we can honor the memory of Eudocia and the many women like her who are seeking safety and justice.

Thank you for taking action with us,

Sameera Hafiz, Beyond Survival Campaign Director

PS: You can also support anti-trafficking efforts by donating to the Beyond Survival Emergency Fund. 100% of your donation will go to support trafficking survivors.

Donate

Join Us | Support Our Work | Follow us: Facebook Twitter

This email was sent by the National Domestic Workers Alliance. Please do not respond to this email, it is not a monitored address. If you would like to contact the NDWA, click here.

Sent via ActionNetwork.org. To update your email address or to stop receiving emails from National Domestic Workers Alliance, please click here.