Thread: Join us, march for education! [NY, NYC, 3-4]

Join Date Mar 2008
    Location traveling (U.S.)
    Posts 14,970
    Rep Power 63

Default Join us, march for education! [NY, NYC, 3-4]

Join us, march for education!

Dear Chris,

This morning, former New York Governor Eliot Spitzer set the record straight on the origins of the Foundation Aid formula — the formula that was created under his administration to address the chronic underfunding of schools which meant overcrowded classrooms, lack of adequate staff and many other problems. Governor Spitzer says, "Foundation Aid was enacted to comply with the court order in CFE. It's time for the state to fund the formula fully, not repeal it."

Yet Governor Cuomo has deliberately distorted the facts about the connection between the Foundation Aid formula and the Campaign for Fiscal Equity (CFE). His proposal would repeal the Foundation Aid formula, causing irreparable harm to a generation of students and eliminating the $4.3 billion owed to schools across the state.

We won't let Governor Cuomo off the hook for that $4.3 billion owed to our students. Since I emailed you just two days ago, so many of our supporters have signed up to march with us on March 4 for the People's March for Education Justice. If you haven't already, sign up now -- it takes less than a minute!

Find your closest march — Buffalo, Copiague, Kingston, New York City, Rochester or Schenectady — and register now. We will march to demand better for our children. We will march to end the school-to-prison pipeline and the criminalization of our youth. We will march to stop the privatization of public schools. Our children are our state's future. March with us.

Read Gov. Spitzer's full op-ed in the Times Union here.

Jasmine Gripper
    Alliance for Quality Education

Check Us Out

Our Website
    Take Action
    Donate
    AQE in the News
    Check out our photos
    Check out our videos

Follow @AQE_NY on Twitter
    Like us on Facebook
    Donate to AQE

The Alliance for Quality Education I 94 Central Ave., Albany, NY I (518) 432-5315 I www.aqeny.org I @AQE_NY

You are subscribed as [email protected]. Click here to unsubscribe

empowered by Salsa
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Posts 14,970
    Rep Power 63

Default You Are Invited: People's March For Education Justice

You Are Invited: People's March For Education Justice

Petition: Demand NY Governor Cuomo End Systemic Racism in School Funding

Dear Chris,

When education is under attack, what do we do? We stand up and fight back.

Thank you for signing the Demand NY Governor Cuomo End Systemic Racism in School Funding petition. If you are in NYC join us for the People's Education March on Saturday, March 4th. All of the details and a link to RSVP are below. Hope to see you there!

Sincerely,

People's March For Education Justice

Date & Time Saturday, 4 March 2017 at 10:00 AM
    New York, New York, 10009
    United States

On March 4, students, teachers, parents and community members across New York State will come together for the People's March for Education Justice. As we continue ​to defend the institution of public education ​from federal attacks by Donald Trump and ​Betsy ​DeVos, we ​march to defend that same institution here in New York from Governor Andrew Cuomo. The public investment he proposes in his education budget this year is woefully inadequate and falls way short of being equitable. It will negatively impact our most vulnerable students from early child care to higher education all across the state. Black, brown, immigrant,​ refugee​, low-income,​ LGBTQIA, English Language Learners​​, homeless​ students and students with disabilities​, are worthy of an investment that will meet their needs not deny them opportunities to be successful.

WE DEMAND:

- Full & Fair funding for all Public Schools from Pre-K - College
    - Youth Justice: Solutions, not Suspensions & Raise the Age
    - Increase Access to Early Care and Learning Opportunities for Babies & Toddlers
    - End the State’s Over Reliance on High Stakes Testing
    - Protect Public Education: End of School Privatization
    - Support for Immigrant Students & Pass NYS Dream Act
    - Protect the Educational Rights of Students with Disabilities

If you were inspired by the historic Women's March like we were, march with us to answer the call for 10 Actions in 100 Days​!

REGISTER FOR THE MARCH:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cpO...requested=true

RSVP

Do not reply directly to this email. Visit the event page to view the details and sign up

You are receiving this message because you signed the Demand NY Governor Cuomo End Systemic Racism in School Funding petition.
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Posts 14,970
    Rep Power 63

Default Yesterday we marched, now what?

Yesterday we marched, now what?

Hi Chris,
    Yesterday’s People’s March for Education Justice was incredible. Ten thousand New Yorkers braved the cold in eight marches across the state to send a clear message to Governor Cuomo and Betsy DeVos that their attacks on public schools are unacceptable. Send Cuomo and your legislators an action now!

Click here for a slideshow of some powerful pics of the marches statewide.

Now that the march is over, our work is still not done. We have just 3 short weeks left to impact the New York State budget. In one of the wealthiest states in the nation it is shameful that Governor Cuomo won't give our schools the money they are owed and desperately need. No wonder so many people think his education policies are straight out of the DeVos-Trump playbook. New York State has a 10 year outstanding debt to the children of New York State of $4.3 billion as a result of our highest court ruling that New York State is violating students’ right to a “sound basic education.” We will not let another generation of students continue to attend underfunded and overcrowded classrooms.

We are sick and tired of the excuses and distortions from Governor Cuomo about why he refuses to fairly fund schools in poor communities and those serving Black and Brown students. Tell Governor Cuomo it’s time to stop the excuses and pay up! And tell the New York State Legislature too.

Do not delay. Send a message to Governor and your state legislators right now that they must pass a budget that finally moves New York towards education justice.
    In solidarity,
    Jasmine Gripper
    Check Us Out

Our Website
    Take Action
    Donate
    AQE in the News
    Check out our photos
    Check out our videos

Like us on Facebook

Donate to AQE

The Alliance for Quality Education I 94 Central Ave., Albany, NY I (518) 432-5315 I www.aqeny.org I @AQE_NY

empowered by Salsa
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Posts 14,970
    Rep Power 63

Default Gov. Cuomo's Offensive Remarks

Gov. Cuomo's Offensive Remarks

Hi Chris,

Last weekend thousands of us took to the streets to let Donald Trump, Betsy DeVos, and Governor Cuomo know that we won't let them undermine the future of our public schools!

When asked about the People's March for Education Justice, Governor Cuomo said, "For some people it's never enough, never enough, never enough."

Who's "some people"?? We are taxpayers, voters, and citizens that are demanding fairness for our schools?! We won't accept this type of dismissive behavior, our kids are owed over $4 BILLION, so no, anything less than that is NOT enough!

E-mail your New York State Senator and Assemblymember to tell them to join with parents, students and community members standing up to Governor Cuomo.

New York State legislators are negotiating the details of the state budget over the next 3 weeks. And they need to hear from us that fully funding our public schools is at top priority.

We need you to make sure the budget includes a three year phase-in of the Foundation Aid owed to our schools. If our elected officials truly support our public schools they should only vote for a budget that commits to fully funding our schools. Now more than ever we need to make equitable funding a reality.

E-mail your New York State Senator and Assemblymember now!

In solidarity,
    Jasmine Gripper

Check Us Out

Our Website
    Take Action
    Donate
    AQE in the News
    Check out our photos
    Check out our videos

Like us on Facebook

Donate to AQE

empowered by Salsa