Thread: Veganism and Human issues

Join Date Oct 2016
    Posts 363
    Rep Power 1

Default Veganism and Human issues

Veganism as a practice is often denounced as being “anti-human” or viewed as a distraction from human issues. In the following post I will try to show how this I a far stretch from the truth. I will do this by comparing the cost of protein(the most expensive part of food) provided by several vegan sources to non-vegan options.
    The recommended intakes for protein is 56 gram(1).
    The average cost of protein per gram, when comparing 5 products(2)= 1,28 cent per gram. When eating 56 grams this means a total cost of 71 cent per day.
    Comparing 6 non-vegan options = 2,96 per gram, when eating 56 grams this adds up to 166 cents.

166-71=95 cents per day. This is when eating the bare minimum. One can imagine that, since meat is 99% protein, when eating a meat product one eats more than 56 grams, thus increasing the cost even more. Beans etc have a more balanced distribution of nutrients. But, for the sake of simplicity, we will calculate with these numbers.

So by going vegan one can save 95 pounds per day. How else could we use this money, we could buy ourselves candy, but our goal is to create a better world. At this site(2) you can see the great things you can do with 95*364days= 345 pounds a year. A few examples:
    You can protect 207 people from malaria for three to four years.
    Provide school meals for 7 children for a year.
    Provide 1725 additional individuals with a lifetime of adequately iodized salt, improving health and protecting against iodine deficiency disorders such as debilitating brain damage.

At this point we should ask ourselves why we still eat meat, how is this still a ‘personal choice’. Why would you pick your own 5 minutes of pleasure over the happiness of so many others. Of course veganism isn’t the magic trick, but it helps, so we should do it. It is not enough to just write on this forum, we should go out and do charity.

1: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/N...ort=objectonly
    2: https://www.thelifeyoucansave.org/Impact-Calculator
    "I am vegan because I have compassion for animals; I see them as beings possessed of value not unlike humans. I am an anarchist because I have that same compassion for humans, and because I refuse to settle for compromised perspectives, half-assed strategies and sold-out objectives. As a radical, my approach to animal and human liberation is without compromise: total freedom for all, or else."

"It takes no more time to be a vegetarian than to eat animal flesh.... When non-vegetarians say ‘human problems come first’ I cannot help wondering what exactly it is that they are doing for humans that compels them to continue to support the wasteful ruthless, exploitation of farm animals."
    Join Date Jan 2017
    Posts 82
    Rep Power 1

Question (really just a question, I don't want to argue because I respect you greatly for your choice): If with veganism your goal is to preserve life then why not only vegetarianism? As we know the difference is that vegans deny consuming any products of which origins are animals. What's the problem with for example eggs which are not fertilized?

You made me think, by the way. I'm open minded towards this diet. Which website would you recommend to start a research? I mean in general about vegetarianism. Not the ones that you already provided.
    Join Date Oct 2016
    Posts 363
    Rep Power 1

Question (really just a question, I don't want to argue because I respect you greatly for your choice): If with veganism your goal is to preserve life then why not only vegetarianism? As we know the difference is that vegans deny consuming any products of which origins are animals. What's the problem with for example eggs which are not fertilized?

You made me think, by the way. I'm open minded towards this diet. Which website would you recommend to start a research? I mean in general about vegetarianism. Not the ones that you already provided.
    The problems with eggs is really their origin, the chicken. Only female chickens lay eggs, the hens are useless, bar a few for fertilization, but almost all hens are killed, be it by gassing or putting them in a shredder. To me it is morally wrong to kill 50% of all chickens just so i can eat the unfertilized egg of an animal. Combined with it being unnecessary and bad for the environment, to me the choice is clear. There are similar arguments for other animal products like milk etc.

I have included two links, one to a very persuasive speech on veganism and the other a link with a sort of faq on veganism from the same guy. Google works well to, if you have other questions you can ask them here or pm me.

http://adaptt.org/veganism.html
    "I am vegan because I have compassion for animals; I see them as beings possessed of value not unlike humans. I am an anarchist because I have that same compassion for humans, and because I refuse to settle for compromised perspectives, half-assed strategies and sold-out objectives. As a radical, my approach to animal and human liberation is without compromise: total freedom for all, or else."

"It takes no more time to be a vegetarian than to eat animal flesh.... When non-vegetarians say ‘human problems come first’ I cannot help wondering what exactly it is that they are doing for humans that compels them to continue to support the wasteful ruthless, exploitation of farm animals."
    Join Date Jul 2016
    Posts 95
    Rep Power 1

I'm a filthy hedonist when it comes to it. If we look at it from a purely ethical point of view, vegetarianism and veganism are perfectly valid, and consuming meat is not really defensible. I mean the arguments of anti-veggies are pretty bad, and I'm saying this as a non-vegan. They generally don't recognize the is-ought problem, they fail to see how a vegan diet is sustainable and can even be very healthy, etc. But I can't help it. My situation is the following. When I eat meat, I don't feel guilty at all. My natural empathy towards animals that are traditionally eaten in European culture is clearly not this high. On the other hand, I recognize that the ethical arguments of vegetarians and vegans are more sound. However, the pleasure and convenience of eating meat products outmatches this recognition and I end up eating a tasty döner kebab with no feel of shame or guilt (or only a little). I think I will just help to make the world better in other ways, while maintaining great respect for all vegans. You are all awesome!
    Join Date Oct 2016
    Posts 363
    Rep Power 1

I'm a filthy hedonist when it comes to it. If we look at it from a purely ethical point of view, vegetarianism and veganism are perfectly valid, and consuming meat is not really defensible. I mean the arguments of anti-veggies are pretty bad, and I'm saying this as a non-vegan. They generally don't recognize the is-ought problem, they fail to see how a vegan diet is sustainable and can even be very healthy, etc. But I can't help it. My situation is the following. When I eat meat, I don't feel guilty at all. My natural empathy towards animals that are traditionally eaten in European culture is clearly not this high. On the other hand, I recognize that the ethical arguments of vegetarians and vegans are more sound. However, the pleasure and convenience of eating meat products outmatches this recognition and I end up eating a tasty döner kebab with no feel of shame or guilt (or only a little). I think I will just help to make the world better in other ways, while maintaining great respect for all vegans. You are all awesome!
    I felt like that before to, until i went to a pig farm. But i get that you feel that way, so many do. I hope in the future you might become vegetarian or vegan!

Join Date Oct 2011
    Location UK
    Posts 938
    Rep Power 28

I think a revolutionary position is to be against the meat and fishing industry as they exist in a capitalist paradigm which promotes an unsustainable level of production and occludes any sensible and balanced health education regarding diet from being accessed. Got nothing against an individual choosing to be a vegan or someone who chooses partake in eating meat.
    Modern democracy is nothing but the freedom to preach whatever is to the advantage of the bourgeoisie - Lenin