Thread: Marijuana is now legal in 4 more states

Join Date Mar 2008
    Location traveling (U.S.)
    Posts 12,908
    Rep Power 60

Wikipedia is good for a basic *literacy* about whatever subject, but, sure, one should research deeper if they want to.

Not really. This is probably a topic for another thread (I remember posting about it ages ago, as well), but Wikipedia is the go-to for lazy research because it's pushed to the top of the results in Google.

*Or* one can just go-to the entry for the topic that one is looking for. I find it valuable for its encyclopedic range and concise wording.

Which is exactly what renders Wikipedia redundant at best and damaging at worst, given my point above.
    The Wikipedia article on the Waco siege, for example, may as well have been written by McVeigh himself.

So 'going directly to the encyclopedic / Wikipedia entry that one wants' is what 'renders Wikipedia redundant at best and damaging at worst' -- and what other point did you want to include here -- ?

What? The ability to go directly to an encyclopedic source renders Wikipedia redundant at best and damaging at worst, as a superfluous middleman which pushes reliable sources further down in search results. That's the point.

So what is this unspecified 'encyclopedic source' that you're saying should be preferred over Wikipedia -- ?

Your main concern looks to be about Wikipedia pushing other sources down in the search rankings because of one (or more) Wikipedia entries on any given subject(s). This is a *spurious* concern because any researcher would only have to go past *1* search page of results, at worst, to skip the Wikipedia entries, if they want to -- you make it sound downright *onerous* and your line here is sounding increasingly *biased* against Wikipedia, for whatever reason.

I continue to maintain that Wikipedia is a *good* source, especially for introductory / literacy purposes, and I have no problems with additional research expanding to include other sources beyond Wikipedia.

---

You're jumping to spurious conclusions that are outside of the comparison itself.

I'm *not* saying 'ban cars',

Of course I didn't mean you were actually suggesting banning cars, but cars seem like an odd choice for an analogous argument about the human cost of mainstreaming marijuana given the latter's link to increased accidents (if you wish, there's an hour-long CBC podcast I could link to which involves numerous interviews on this issue).

Cars cause accidents, and drug usage can lead to accidents, too -- how is that not an apt comparison -- ? -- !

I'm saying -- in line with the 'side-effects of mainstreaming [marijuana]' observation / line above, that society has to have an internal dialogue about what human costs it's willing to pay for the mainstream approach to this-or-that social practice. But, as we all know here, that's most-likely *not* going to happen since capitalist society is a *too-emergent* and brain-dead macro phenomenon that follows from the paradigmatic premise of 'individual-based gain, preferably for profits'.

The alternative to the waste of human time and effort in driving massive numbers of individual / small-group / small-load vehicles (redundancy of effort) would be the *automation* of such, or driverless vehicles, basically, on the near-horizon. A more politically-principled (revolutionary) approach would be post-capitalist liberated-workers building entirely new mass transportation infrastructure all over the world, to an even and energy-and-logistically-efficient standard (my musings have brought me to potential below-ground and parallel above-ground systems of *conveyor belts* for the direct-distribution of any and all goods, and for individual human transport, in compartments, above).

Yeah, sure, fair points. The current system unarguably squanders our resources, potential and lives. We do need to talk about the human costs of a mainstream approach (to drugs, to the environment, etc.) and the "solutions" it offers.

Yes, because as long as drug usage is criminalized the (capitalist) system is effectively saying that there's no active *social* policy over it, as in how one should *approach* drugs, etc.

From what I can gather the recent decriminalization and mainstreaming steps around marijuana, for example, have taken many by surprise, and I've heard distinct claims of 'damage' (or maybe it's reactionary political opportunism) coming from some -- which I take as resulting from this overall void of social policy regarding now-mainstreamed recreational marijuana. In other words it seems to be the formerly uninitiated, now newly experimenting in the mainstream, yet being outside of any drug-positive *culture* for their forays. The *mainstream* culture is a social void on this point because all it did was *decriminalize*, and not *normalize* / socialize with any promotion of grassroots cultural initiatives, or normative social policy, around the same.

Motor vehicles, by comparison, have been around for much longer and there's a whole industry, including government oversight, around their regulation and usage.

47,055 drug overdose deaths occurred in the United States in 2014. Since 2000, the drug overdose death rate has gone from 6.2 per 100,000 persons in 2000 to 14.7 per 100,000 in 2014.[21]

The table below is a list of motor vehicle deaths in the United States by year. In 2014, 32,675 people were killed in 29,989 crashes, an average of 96[1] per day.
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location traveling (U.S.)
    Posts 12,908
    Rep Power 60

Default California should not help Trump and Sessions on their pot crusade

California should not help Trump and Sessions on their pot crusade

Make California a Marijuana Sanctuary State

Sign Now

Chris,

In California, using marijuana, medicinally or recreationally, is almost completely legal. However, this is at odds with federal law. Now, California is considering becoming a "sanctuary" state for marijuana users. This means that California would not allocate any state resources to help enforce federal laws regarding marijuana use.

Sign this petition to support California in becoming a sanctuary state for marijuana users!

President Trump and Attorney General Sessions often get laser focused on non-issues like marijuana use, which puts California pot users at risk.The passage of this law would mean that if Sessions and Trump decide to "crack down" on pot, California will not help them out on enforcement at all.

State authorities have a lot more important things to do than chase down people using marijuana, which is one of the least harmful substances, legal or not. It is silly that California has been using any of their local resources to enforce such an arbitrary federal law. The bill, known as AB 1578 by Assemblyman Reggie Jones-Sawyer of Los Angeles, just needs to go through the Senate, the Public Safety Committee and then to Governor Jerry Brown.

Sign to support this important bill!

Thank you,

Kelsey B.
    The Care2 Petitions Team

SIGN NOW >

To stop receiving this newsletter, visit:

or send a blank email message to:

Care2.com, Inc.
    275 Shoreline Drive, Suite 300
    Redwood City, CA 94065
    http://www.care2.com
    Join Date Jun 2017
    Posts 1
    Rep Power 0

As long as it's not overused it should do good.
    Join Date Jun 2017
    Location India
    Posts 30
    Organisation
    Guevarist League of India(GLI) , ex-HSRAist,pro-communist
    Rep Power 0

So at last alt right officially marks its start sniffing weed campaign