gen strike vs mass strike

1. Bilan
    Bilan
    what are the key differences between these two?
  2. zimmerwald1915
    The way I understand it, a general strike is a broad sort of term which describes simultaneous or near-simultaneous strikes over enough sectors of the economy to bring it to a halt. A mass strike is usually, but does not have to be, a general strike, but is distingished by the fact that, while a general strike may be organized in a decentralized matter, particularly through several different unions, and may restrain its demands to a purely economic character, a mass strike is centrally organized and advances political demands.

This is probably a basic and unformed understanding, though.
  3. Devrim
    Devrim
    I think you have that a bit confused, Zimmerwald. In fact nearly exactly the wrong way round. Let's go back to what Luxemburg wrote on it;

The general strike, in the Bakuninists’ program, is the lever which will be used for introducing the social revolution. One fine morning all the workers in every industry in a country, or perhaps in every country, will cease work, and thereby compel the ruling class either to submit in about four weeks, or to launch an attack on the workers so that the latter will have the right to defend themselves, and may use the opportunity to overthrow the old society.
    If, therefore, the Russian Revolution* teaches us anything, it teaches above all that the mass strike is not artificially "made," not "decided" at random, not "propagated," but that it is a historical phenomenon which, at a given moment, results from social conditions with historical inevitability. It is not, therefore, by abstract speculations on the possibility or impossibility, the utility or the injuriousness of the mass strike, but only by an examination of those factors and social conditions out of which the mass strike grows in the present phase of the class struggle–in other words, it is not by subjective criticism of the mass strike from the standpoint of what is desirable, but only by objective investigation of the sources of the mass strike from the standpoint of what is historically inevitable, that the problem can be grasped or even discussed.
    http://www.marxists.org/archive/luxe...rike/index.htm

The mass strike is the organic development of the class struggle towards a climax. The general strike is something that workers are instructed to do from above. A good comparison would be the mass strike in Poland in 1980 with yesterday's one day general strike in Greece.

Devrim

*This refers to the 1905 revolution.
  4. Die Neue Zeit
    Die Neue Zeit
  5. zimmerwald1915
    I think you have that a bit confused, Zimmerwald. In fact nearly exactly the wrong way round. Let's go back to what Luxemburg wrote on it;

http://www.marxists.org/archive/luxe...rike/index.htm

The mass strike is the organic development of the class struggle towards a climax. The general strike is something that workers are instructed to do from above. A good comparison would be the mass strike in Poland in 1980 with yesterday's one day general strike in Greece.

Devrim

*This refers to the 1905 revolution.
    My bad, thanks

*reads*
  6. Bilan
    Bilan
    They sound very similar...
  7. beltov
    beltov
    OK. A general strike is called by trade unions (or syndicalist unions) and is planned in advance. It is artificial. It remains within the union prison, thus on a bourgeois terrain.

A mass strike is much more spontaneous and is characterised by workers taking control of the struggle away from the unions (who may have called the strike) and into their own hands through general assemblies and workers' councils. The best example of mass strikes have been 1905 in Russia and 1981 in Poland. See:

The Mass Strike in Poland
    http://en.internationalism.org/taxonomy/term/218

1905: The soviets open a new period in the history of the class struggle
    http://en.internationalism.org/ir/122_1905

B.
  8. Bilan
    Bilan
    Yeah, the difference was made much more clear after reading Luxemburg's article that Devrim linked.
  9. Devrim
    Devrim
    The best example of mass strikes have been 1905 in Russia and 1981 in Poland.
    It is interesting that the ICC rarely talk about the mass strike in Iran in the period before the Shah's overthrow. I would like to ask why.

Devrim
  10. Alf
    Alf
    we did write about them at the time. i don't think these articles are online but I will look up the issues of World Revolution and the International Review. Certainly we saw a very clear tendency not only for the working class to organise independently, but also to provide a focus for the revolt of other strata, even if this was eventually buried under the 'Islamic revolution'.
  11. Devrim
    Devrim
    Yes, I am sure that you did write about them. It always seems though that Poland is the example held up, not Iran. Why not Iran when the mass strike was possibly deeper there.

Devrim