Neonify avatars

1. The Idler
    The Idler
    Originally Posted by melbicimni
    He sorta did, but I'll type up the process really quickly. It'll assume some basic knowledge of photoshop, and if you've used GIMP for a while you should be able to figure out what similar set of steps will work for that, but I don't use GIMP so I can't give those instructions.

Neonify Avatars
    1) Open up the image you want to neonify in photoshop

2) This step might be optional, but I've gotten better results so far by doing this:

If the image is color, desaturate it. If your image is already grayscale, make sure that you go up to "Image -> Mode -> RGB" in the menu, so that you can add color to it.

3) Duplicate your "background" layer, and then create two layers underneath it.

4) Select the purple and green colors as your foreground and background colors (in the palette to the left). Use the paint bucket tool to set the bottom-most blank layer to purple.

5) Click on the top-most layer, set the blending mode (in the drop-down on the layers palette) from "Normal" to "Multiply". The whole image should turn a shade of purple.

6) Using whatever selection tool you would like (Arizona Bay uses the "magic wand" at a tolerance of about 45), select the light portions of the image and then choose the upper blank layer.

7) With the upper blank layer selected, and the light portions of the image selected, go up to "edit" and "fill", and choose either foreground or background color (whichever is the green). With this done, the light portions of the image should turn green.

8) This should have been an earlier step, but there's no harm in doing it now. If you want to clear out the background, select the top layer and use whatever selection tool you think is appropriate to select and delete it. If you don't know how to do this, there are hundreds of photoshop tutorials for removing the background of an image, so consult one of those and then come back.

9) With the background gone, we can now add our stroke. I usually do this from the little button on the layers palette with the "f" on it. So click that, and click "stroke", change the color to green, and adjust the size to whatever you would like.

10) This is the part where it gets tricky and subjective. Adding the glasses can be a rough process. I would suggest saving the image, and then saving a version of it as a JPG. Open up that JPG in photoshop, and you should have the neonized image with no other layers.

11) Open up the template for the glasses that AB provided a few pages ago, and drag it over to the neonized image you provided. Use the transform tool to resize your image until it's small enough that the glasses would fit on the face.

12) Once the glasses will fit, you need to select the glasses tool and use the "free transform" tool to situate them on the face. Drag them to the eyes, rotate them to where they need to be, if they still don't look right, then either pressing "alt" or "shift" (I can't remember which) will allow you to shift the perspective on the glasses, and you can play with that until they seem to fit.

13) Crop it to your liking, save, and you're finished.

AZ is free to make any changes to this methodology if it isn't quite right. I did this all from memory, I don't have photoshop open, so some menus might be wrong.