What turned you into an anti-theist?

1. DoCt SPARTAN
    DoCt SPARTAN
    I became atheist this year or 2012 to be correct! After all the pain, suffering, hate, racism, poverty, sexism, abuse, war, genocide, bombs, greed, and inhumane acts. Why would he let anything happen like this. I believe being atheist makes me feel ike a better and peaceful person. IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE US THEN BRING US YOUR HERO HERE DOWN TO EARTH SO WE CAN SEE HIM! to me god is spiderman they dont exist!
  2. DoCt SPARTAN
    DoCt SPARTAN
    I became atheist this year or 2012 to be correct! After all the pain, suffering, hate, racism, poverty, sexism, abuse, war, genocide, bombs, greed, and inhumane acts. Why would he let anything happen like this. I believe being atheist makes me feel ike a better and peaceful person. IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE US THEN BRING US YOUR HERO HERE DOWN TO EARTH SO WE CAN SEE HIM! to me god is spiderman they dont exist!
  3. DoCt SPARTAN
    DoCt SPARTAN
    haha didnt mean to post it twice! sry
  4. Art Vandelay
    Reading the bible shook my faith in religion; I didn't become a militant atheist until I found Hitch.
  5. LifeSexDeath
    LifeSexDeath
    When my anut tried to "pray the gay" away from me. The forced upon religion from my family also caused this. I hate my extended family.
  6. TheDoctor1996
    TheDoctor1996
    My parents were not religious but in England and Wales, children are required to perform collective worship in schools and so I believed in god but when I was 8 years old I read a book on Natural Science explaining astronomy, evolution and earth sciences in a way that a child would understand, because there was no mention of god I assumed that science did not accept a god and so I became an atheist from that point onwards and despite briefly lapsing back into theism at age 17, I have been both an atheist and antitheist since.

The 4 reasons I call myself an antitheist is because:

1. Religion and supernatural beliefs do NOT require either evidence, logical reasoning, intelligence or deep thought; many extremely religious people I have met are very stubborn and refuse to change their minds and many of them use nothing more than faith, that is believing in something firmly without reason and against all reason.

2. Religion is nothing more than a method of social control, it's only logical as religions brainwash children from a young age, ostracise people who leave the faith, scorn those without faith and persecute those people whom the faith does not like.

3. Religion is incompatible with science; to me religion is either interpreted as being literally true or as being false, there is no in between and if you look at the various religions of the world many of them contain things which contradict science such as creationism.

4. Supernatural beliefs, regardless of whether or not they are harmful, can become a gateway to religion.
  7. Zoroaster
    Zoroaster
    I read "God and the State" by Mikhail Bakunin. Enough said.
  8. 676d7262
    676d7262
    Let's see... I was 12 when I walked up to the stage for my "faith healing" to cure the psoriasis on my knees. (You see where this is going) Of course, I had zero doubt that this worked since my parents assured me that it did. I was so excited and was anticipating the power of ""GOD"" to sweep over me causing me to fall when the pastor touched my head. You know... like it did to everyone else who went up...

My turn finally came. The pastor put his hand on my head, said his prayer, and then, against everything I'd ever seen before, he tried to push me down with his hand on my head! When I bounced back up I must have given him a dirty look for interfering with the power of the LORD (which I was still waiting for mind you). Then suddenly the ushers each took my arms and, almost forcefully, lowered me down to the ground!

Ugh! Well, you can imagine I was outraged that they didn't wait for the power of GOD! I mean REALLY...they totally messed up my faith healing! I had waited years to get permission from my parents to go up there and here they were doing it all wrong!

Needless to say, before I turned 13, still riddled with psoriasis, I was convinced and still am that it's a scam run by con-artists for money!

P.S.
    I later went to the doctor and got steroid cream for my knee...IT'S A MIRACLE!!!
  9. xnecron101x
    xnecron101x
    I was raised as an Agnostic as my father is an atheist and my mother a Catholic, so I've leaned towards atheism my entire life. That was cemented in middle school probably where I began identifying as an atheist but still supported what other people believed and was very respectful of other people's beliefs, but some time during High School, that changed because I just couldn't believe how many people were throwing their lives and intellects away because of their religion, so I took up a very strong stand agaisnt both organized religion and Theism/Deism as a whole.
  10. NassNeco
    NassNeco
    I was too smart child boy to be a Christian person. So to speak it, when I was in a school, I drew this murderous Jesus on a paper. On the paper, this shows that baby Jesus controlled a helicopter with huge weapons to kill his father, three kings, his mother and animals...

For some reason, I never did understand any of their reason to believe in Christianity ways. I'm glad that I got F- for this.

I'm not Zen, Buddhist, neither any of beliefs. Nor atheist. Just absolutely zero!