A question

1. TheFox
    TheFox
    As a male, I have noticed that some feminists seem to hate males. Can someone explain to me why these people identify as feminists if they don't want gender equality or want women to have more power than men? Isn't feminism supposed to be about gender equality?
    I am a feminist in the sense that I want gender equality.
  2. Decolonize The Left
    Decolonize The Left
    I'll be honest: this looks like a troll thread. But I'm all for learning so I'll respond thusly.
    Most feminists do not hate males. Those that do may identify as feminists and may have a different conception of what feminism means than many other people (including myself). Feminism isn't necessarily about gender equality per se (as this is rather vague and contextualized in a different way may not bring about the goals of feminism), but is about the destruction of patriarchy. Patriarchy, among other things, legislates unequal gender roles so in this sense feminism wishes to 'level the playing field' so to speak. Patriarchy is, naturally, much more nuanced than just equal rights, etc... It involves interpersonal relationships, non-male/female gender roles, sex, personhood, identity, etc... It is very complex and has rooted itself in much of our lives. So, in my opinion, fighting patriarchy is the goal of feminism, not 'gender equality.'