How do you try to be environmentally friendly on a personals basis?

1. bellyscratch
    Just thought its about time we had some discussion topics on here

Although we all agree that the only way that society can be sustainable is to overthrow the system and create a new totally equal and environmentally friendly one.

But in the meantime, what do you do in your own personal lives to live in a more environmentally friendly way? I know its all little things, but even if it only helps in a small way then at least its doing some sort of good And I hope people can pick up tips from each other too.

I'll start!

Recycling as much things as I can, but as my local council is crap at the moment I can only recycle paper, metal and glass. Once I either am able to drive or live near a plastic recycling point, then I can recycle plastic too.

Re-using bags for shopping. I always try to remember to have some sort of bag on me when I go shopping.

Buying 2nd hand goods. I always check out my local charity shops for books, CDs and videos/DVDs. I also try to make sure I buy furniture 2nd hand too or even better finding something in good condition that someone is trying to chuck out!

Buying environmentally friendly consumables. Things like laundry powder and wasing up liquid which my local Oxfam sells. I also get my shampoo and deodrant from lush which uses natural products, also good for veggies/vegans!

I try not to waste my money on things I don't really need as often people buy pointless waste.

Saving energy by switching to energy efficient light bulbs when they need replacing. Not leaving electric devices on standby and only using electric devices that I need at the time. Putting the central heating on a timer and not having it on too high.

Walking and using public transport. I don't drive (yet) so I end up walking a lot and using the local metro and occaisonally buses.

I'm also vegetarian which has been linked to being better for the environment for many reasons which can be found here. I'm also working on trying to use more dairy alternatives too and trying to buy food that is locally produced.

Switching to online bills and letters. Many companies are now trying to do this. I do it for my internet provider and bank accounts at the moment.

Thats about all I can think of at the moment.
  2. Q
    Q
    I bike every day and use public transport - Well, not so much because I want to be green, I just can't afford a car or car license.
  3. OneNamedNameLess
    I pretty much do everything you said.

In terms of food I think I'm ahead of you. I often freegan from supermarket skips I would recommend this to all students. It helps a lot financially.

Lush! I'm a big Lush fan too.

I also make good use of my bike. Even though I recently passed my driving test I wont be getting a car to the shock of some of my friends.
  4. butterfly
    Adding to the above, it can be fun and relatively easy to grow a portion of your own food and since i'm a daily coffee drinker, I adopted a thermos.

I think generally there can be too much emphasis on lifestyle choices, especially when it is only a minority who can afford to make them.
    It is not so much important what goes into your mouth than what comes out, to steal a quote from someone.
  5. bellyscratch
    I think generally there can be too much emphasis on lifestyle choices, especially when it is only a minority who can afford to make them.
    I definatley agree with this in the mainstream of society. But, from my personal experience, I often find the reverse from sections of the left, who only think that the industry should change and that people should carry on with their personal lives like environmental destruction isn't happening. Although I think changing your own personal habits is a smaller part to play, it is still an important part.
  6. Delirium
    Delirium
    It is not so much important what goes into your mouth than what comes out, to steal a quote from someone.
    I disagree, ever single one of the suggestions that bellyscrach made will save workers money rather than cost them. The idea that being green is a middle/upper class idea and practice is false. Sure buying overpriced 'green goods' is stupid, but so is buying a che shirt made by some 9 yo in china. The less you consume the less you have to work at some shitty job.
  7. swampfox
    swampfox
    I always use the proper lightbulbs and recycle. I also make sure to use my cloth bags at grocery stores or better yet, none at all. I avoid driving my car at all times when I could simply walk around.
  8. NecroCommie
    NecroCommie
    I buy almost all mu stuff as used, and avoid meat products, and plastic wrapping. Those are the only concious and active daily enviroment decisions I make.
    The best thing we can do for the environment is revolution.
  9. CommunityBeliever
    CommunityBeliever
    I do pretty much everything you do. I am vegeterian too and I walk a lot but I probably do it more then you I walk an unreasonable amount I often decline people who ask to drive me just to walk. I walk as long as don't have to carry a heavy backpack in which case I will rid my bicycle. I love my bicycle.

Oh one thing I do that you do not do is I pursue using solar energy as an alternative to being locked into the electric companies. Another thing I do that everyone should do is scan paper and then give the paper up to paper recyclers. Most people have a ridiculous amount of unorganized papers and if they just scanned things then they would be in much better shape.
  10. bellyscratch
    I do pretty much everything you do. I am vegeterian too and I walk a lot but I probably do it more then you I walk an unreasonable amount I often decline people who ask to drive me just to walk. I walk as long as don't have to carry a heavy backpack in which case I will rid my bicycle. I love my bicycle.

Oh one thing I do that you do not do is I pursue using solar energy as an alternative to being locked into the electric companies. Another thing I do that everyone should do is scan paper and then give the paper up to paper recyclers. Most people have a ridiculous amount of unorganized papers and if they just scanned things then they would be in much better shape.

I'd like to hear more about the solar energy
  11. CommunityBeliever
    CommunityBeliever
    I'd like to hear more about the solar energy
    Well if you have a laptop check this out it. This can save you from having to pay for electricity for you computer and you can use it on the go so if you travel you can power your laptop anywhere.
    http://www.earthtechproducts.com/sol...r-charger.html

Another thing a lot of people need is light, however, if you just go to sleep early like me that isn't going to be that big of a deal. This flashlight can aid your eyes if you are going around at night and it will charge in the day.
    http://www.bogolight.com/

If your lucky you can just get solar panels and put them on your roof but I understand that a lot of people are not land owners so ya. After studying solar energy for a few months these are some of the most interesting portal products available.
  12. bellyscratch
    Well if you have a laptop check this out it. This can save you from having to pay for electricity for you computer and you can use it on the go so if you travel you can power your laptop anywhere.
    http://www.earthtechproducts.com/sol...r-charger.html

Another thing a lot of people need is light, however, if you just go to sleep early like me that isn't going to be that big of a deal. This flashlight can aid your eyes if you are going around at night and it will charge in the day.
    http://www.bogolight.com/

If your lucky you can just get solar panels and put them on your roof but I understand that a lot of people are not land owners so ya. After studying solar energy for a few months these are some of the most interesting portal products available.
    Thanks

Shame I can't give you rep on here, but I'll make sure i give you rep on one of your main forum posts
  13. Ocean Seal
    Ocean Seal
    Recycling/Re-using bags for shopping. Yes

I try not to waste my money on things I don't Destroying capitalism and helping the environment. Can anyone say two birds with one stone?

Saving energy. I unplug what I'm not using and try to minimize use of electronics and I've put in some energy saving light bulbs.

Walking and using public transport. I don't have a car nor do I drive so mainly I walk or use the train/bus.

Switching to online bills and letters. Yes

Not wasting water. Try to minimize water use not leaving the water running while brushing one's teeth or in any case that one is not using water.

Avoiding use of heating/AC. If I feel cold I put on a sweater and if I feel hot I use a fan rather than turn on the AC as the fan will only cool the area close to me and not the entire place.

Digital Downloading over buying software at a store. No packaging is more environmentally friendly.
  14. Sapphire
    Sapphire
    I recycle, and I've convinced my boyfriend to do the same.
    I use big plastic bags when I shop for groceries.
    I'm vegan and I try to eat organic when I can.
    I try to buy organic environmentally products (cleaning, bathroom, etc)
  15. Property Is Robbery
    Property Is Robbery
    Factory farming is the biggest pollutant in America so I believe my Veganism helps.

I wish I could afford organic food :/
  16. Zav
    I'm vegan, I make my clothing, I only use a car (small and old) if I'm going more than 20 kilometers, otherwise a bike, I only eat from the local farmer's market and my own permaculture garden, I live in a house I built from cob and old tires, and I live such that I throw away nothing. Sorry for sounding "Greener-than-Thou".
  17. DoCt SPARTAN
    DoCt SPARTAN
    WE need to produce more natural energy and oil.
  18. JamesH81
    JamesH81
    I just recycle and drink local real ale ! :-) ! .... ! !