what martial art do you study?

1. jaffe
    jaffe
    maybe you're aloud to carry tassers, pepperspray and other non-riffle self defence material?
    that could be usefull in self defence.
    The fact that you always want to carry a gun with you scares me a little.
  2. Das war einmal
    Das war einmal
    Wado Ryu Karate, but taking a break now because I'm too busy with everything else
  3. Nietzsche's Ghost
    Nietzsche's Ghost
    I've been doing Taekwondo for around 3 months now. I like it a lot, but I hope to try something like hapkido or krav maga once I (hopefully) go to college.
  4. Cynical Observer
    Cynical Observer
    Been doing brazilian jiu-jitsu for about a year and half, folkstlye and freestyle wrestling for 5 years now, did american kenpo for alittle over a year, and i've been doing kickboxing on and off since i could walk pretty much.
  5. The Red Next Door
    i would like to do karate and judo
  6. harry roberts
    harry roberts
    Doing 'MMA' stuff the now....... our particular gym is mixture of sambo, silat, jiju-jitsu, kesi and a bit muay thai and western boxing all rolled into one as well as bits and bobs from other schools

been involved in boxing but since i was a young pup
  7. samofshs
    samofshs
    looks interesting here it is for the benefit of people like me who've not encountered it.
    that was a set kata. they knwe exactly what to do when. AFAIK.
  8. rosa_rot
    rosa_rot
    I've started to learn taekwon-do last year, doing it 2-3 times a week (it's the only sport i've ever really loved).
  9. samofshs
    samofshs
    Classical Okinawan Karatedo
    Just got my brown belt, taking a break for the summer though (work).
    It's pretty fun, keeps me in decent shape
    wow, that's exactly what i did. except im not taking a break, i just quit and now i study on my own.
  10. No pasarán
    No pasarán
    Muay Thai and BJJ, with a MMA sparring session once a week to see if what I'm learning is sinking in.
  11. The Red Next Door
    I am doing shotokan karate.
  12. Widerstand
    Jujitsu for me, being training for around a year.
    Great for streetbrawls, especially against 'ThugA' types.

My aim is to also start Parcour as I reckon a mastery of that and Jujitsu would be a great combination.
    Actually, as a traceur (or well, a very slacking traceur ) I reckon that Capoera would be much better for Parkour.

Regardless, I'mthinking about doing exactly what you suggested, Jujutsu and Parkour. Although I may end up doing Capoera or Muay Thai instead, as there are practicing leftist groups (free of charge ), and for Jujutsu there...well...aren't. There's a police sports school for Jujutsu though (talk about subversion! )
  13. IndependentCitizen
    IndependentCitizen
    Learning Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. Did MMA training for a while, then college came

Really enjoyed it, and sparring was fun - creates a lot of self-confidence. I also wanted to do some fighting at an amatuer level. Nothing better than cage fighting xD
  14. wildjap
    wildjap
    I do karate! Used to do some judo is school as well!
  15. The Jay
    The Jay
    I wrestled in high school, did about five yrs of tkd, am pretty good at bjj, and am considering krav maga. Does airsoft count as a martial art?
  16. Comrade Marcel
    Comrade Marcel
    I've trained in TKD as a kid, and done two schools of JKD (one was heavy on Savate and had separate classes for just Savate), Systema, and BJJ.

IMO, the styles of combat such as Krav Maga and other RBSD (Reality Based Self Defense) systems are better suited to situations where you are fighting against an attacker or attackers that don't think you know how to fight back, or are not expecting it. Whereas if you are getting into a fight with someone that knows their stuff, you need to have some "sport" aspect of training in there to handle it.

Don't get me wrong, you can learn some crazy tricks from styles like KM, Systema, Combato/Defendo or other styles marketed in similar ways.

I think styles like Karate, Hapkido, etc. lie somewhere in between.

Personally, I think you need a mix of two or more and some knowledge of weapons use. When I was at my peak of training I took JKD/Savate twice per week for stand-up/striking and stick fighting, Systema 3 times per week for the breathing, movement, weapons defense, suppression of fear, conservation of energy and redirection of force as well as the eccentric nature of it; and Submission fighting for ground. I also went to the gun range once per week for pistols, that is until they shut it down at my Uni.

Another example might be a mix of Muay Thai (striking), BJJ (ground/grappling) and Akido (energy), Karate and Judo, TKD and Hapkido, KM and MMA, or Sambo and Boxing etc etc.

Point being think outside the box. Also read and watch videos.
  17. Comrade Marcel
    Comrade Marcel
    . Does airsoft count as a martial art?
    As long as you treat one shot as a serious thing, than yes.

We had the same dilemma when training for knife fighting in JKD. We would have knife fights with rubber knives; but at the end of the day you will never take it as seriously as a real knife and that is something that might be a bad thing to instill in you over a period of time.
  18. Rodrigo
    Rodrigo
    I practice boxing and read one book about MMA.
  19. Strider
    Strider
    i study hung kuen kung fu. traditional but also practical stuff. and great exercise.
  20. d3crypt
    Black belt in Shotokon Karate
  21. Fourth Internationalist
    I'm a first dan black belt in Taekwondo. I've been practising it for over 5 years.
  22. International_Solidarity
    International_Solidarity
    I mainly study Italian and German HEMA (including traditional European Swordplay, wrestling and grappling, knife and dagger fighting, and staff) nowadays, although I have done Tai Kwon-Do, Boxing, and normal wresting in the past. I am interested in Krav Maga and Ju-Jitsu (I have read a bit on the latter, seen a lot of videos on the former).
    I've also done a fair bit of target shooting, I have used all of the following: AK-47, M1 Carbine, AR-15(M16), 12-Gauge, Thompson Submachine Gun, .22(lol), Springfield (1940?), Springfield Musket (1850s-60s), Enfield Musket (1850s-60s).
    And earlier in the thread people were saying that Airsoft counts, I personally am not sure I would include that, but if it is included than I will include that as well as paintball.
    I also have read two books on the psychology of combat, one on how to prepare the mind to kill, and various martial arts manuals/treatises/books. (US Military literature, I used to be into that kind of stuff)

Most people haven't heard of HEMA, its kind of rare. Historical European Martial Arts. It is the restored fighting techniques mainly from the Renaissance era in Europe. I do a lot of it because I have a fascination with history and it's fun, such as various things with swords. However, a lot of it is still relevant today; knives, daggers, wrestling, and staves all being on that list.
    Addressing another problem I saw up above, we often use these(see URL) in order to keep the realism of the fight,
    It's dulled, so it wont stab through you, but it hurts like hell. You can do this at home by simply hammering the edges of a blade until the edge is about the width of a quarter to a half of an inch. (about a centimeter)
    http://83.223.104.6/~ravencre/images/BollackFull.jpg
  23. Jambo
    Jambo
    I've been training in Krav Maga for about Five months. I think its great and an excellent choice for self defence. In my class there is a strong emphasis on having the right mind set i.e things like awareness, avoidance and de escalation. I've also read a lot of books on self defense/personal security and psychology of violence the best of these is Dead or Alive by Geoff Thompson.