Biography on Mao

1. NoahZoahaar
    I'm looking for a good biography on Mao to read that's not tainted by liberal or reactionary propaganda. Any recommendations?
  2. Deicide
    By ''not tainted by liberal or reactionary propaganda'', I take it that you mean you want a biography that serves to reconfirm your already held beliefs about Mao. I.e. makes him look like the glorious hero you already believe he was, denies that the consequences of his actions accumulated a death toll of Chinese in the tens of millions, etc. etc. ?
  3. NoahZoahaar
    Haha, oh, glorious sarcasm. No, I'd rather have one that does real historical work rather than acts as a mouthpiece to distortions and hypocrisies, or at the very least provides a counterpoint to liberal historiography. Of course, you would consider anything that tries to reexamine that to be "Stalinist" propaganda I'm guessing. I'd like to point out of course that Mao solved the long-standing, supposedly "unsolvable" food problem in China, ended famine in China (which, because of natural fluctuations, and the feudal system, occurred every decade or so, but which didn't happen after the final regular famine - the one which occurred during the Great Leap Forward). Mao also provided universal employment, eliminated feudal power structures, allowed for universal education not dependent upon gender, and turned China from a backwards feudal system into one of the most powerful nations on earth. Of course deaths occurred under Mao, it was a natural result of the constant famines in the area, and since the economy was undergoing a restructuring, China at the time was not ready to fully battle the regular famine (though Mao's policies eventually ended the food and famine problem). In fact, 19th century famines in China were many times larger (depending on the famine of course), and they occurred every decade or so. Mao's policies saved far more lives than ever were lost during his reign, and most of those lost were because of natural conditions in China, not because of his policies. Also, by the way, honest debate will make your life much better, rather than sarcasm towards those you disagree with. You should try it.
  4. Drosophila
    What kind of biography? One that covers his entire life, or just his revolutionary life?
  5. NoahZoahaar
    His entire life if possible, as I'd like to see what made him who he was. However, one that focuses on his revolutionary life would be appreciated as well.
  6. Drosophila
    Biographies usually aren't good. I've been reading Jerome Ch'ĂȘn's Mao and the Chinese Revolution. It's quite good, but it only documents his revolutionary life.

Definitely stay away from "Hollywood" type writers and stick to scholars.
  7. Bostana
    Bostana
    By ''not tainted by liberal or reactionary propaganda'', I take it that you mean you want a biography that serves to reconfirm your already held beliefs about Mao. I.e. makes him look like the glorious hero you already believe he was, denies that the consequences of his actions accumulated a death toll of Chinese in the tens of millions, etc. etc. ?
    Haha, oh, glorious sarcasm. No, I'd rather have one that does real historical work rather than acts as a mouthpiece to distortions and hypocrisies, or at the very least provides a counterpoint to liberal historiography. Of course, you would consider anything that tries to reexamine that to be "Stalinist" propaganda I'm guessing. I'd like to point out of course that Mao solved the long-standing, supposedly "unsolvable" food problem in China, ended famine in China (which, because of natural fluctuations, and the feudal system, occurred every decade or so, but which didn't happen after the final regular famine - the one which occurred during the Great Leap Forward). Mao also provided universal employment, eliminated feudal power structures, allowed for universal education not dependent upon gender, and turned China from a backwards feudal system into one of the most powerful nations on earth. Of course deaths occurred under Mao, it was a natural result of the constant famines in the area, and since the economy was undergoing a restructuring, China at the time was not ready to fully battle the regular famine (though Mao's policies eventually ended the food and famine problem). In fact, 19th century famines in China were many times larger (depending on the famine of course), and they occurred every decade or so. Mao's policies saved far more lives than ever were lost during his reign, and most of those lost were because of natural conditions in China, not because of his policies. Also, by the way, honest debate will make your life much better, rather than sarcasm towards those you disagree with. You should try it.
    wow, deicide, you just got told.
  8. Malesori
    Malesori
    I have a couple, will send you their titles this evening