taking the robot rights debate to the next level..

1. Dr Mindbender
    I read with the interest the robot rights issue. If robots do become sapient, it seems logical that in order to function among humans they will require the human form also. This could in turn have an effect on human beings themselves. It could in theory create ''robo-sexual'' humans and ''robo-spouses''. What implications for this and could this create another bastion of discrimination on the basis of sexuality, even in a post revolutionary situation. Your views?

PS. I'm being serious, this is not intended as a 'shock thread'.
  2. ÑóẊîöʼn
    ÑóẊîöʼn
    I read with the interest the robot rights issue. If robots do become sapient, it seems logical that in order to function among humans they will require the human form also.
    Not necessarily. All they need is a form that can get around easily and utilise human technology. You don't have to be humanoid to do that.

This could in turn have an effect on human beings themselves. It could in theory create ''robo-sexual'' humans and ''robo-spouses''. What implications for this and could this create another bastion of discrimination on the basis of sexuality, even in a post revolutionary situation. Your views?
    I'm kind of hoping that a post revolutionary society would do away with marriage, but with regard to human/robot relations I do not see why they should be treated any differently, notwithstanding their differing needs of course.
  3. Dr Mindbender
    Not necessarily. All they need is a form that can get around easily and utilise human technology. You don't have to be humanoid to do that.

I'm kind of hoping that a post revolutionary society would do away with marriage, but with regard to human/robot relations I do not see why they should be treated any differently, notwithstanding their differing needs of course.
    some people prefer monogonomous relationships. It has nothing to do with the religious aspect, moreover the security of knowing one person is being faithful to you. I use the term 'robo-spouse' broadly, hence the inclusion of parenthesis.
    In a robo sexual relationship, an android could be programmed, or possibly have memories saved as electronic data to prevent infidelity. This in itself could present an advantage to entering such a relationship.