What's your view on this?

1. Comrade Rage
    Comrade Rage
    J Richter has posted this and I wanted to see what people here think about it. I like that he gives credit to the Wobs for our international outlook on workers' rights.
    http://www.revleft.com/vb/workers-mo...942/index.html
  2. chimx
    chimx
    I believe you meant to link to this:

3. MarxSchmarx
    MarxSchmarx
    IN re: the professional workers, my union has already started this. For instance, we've created a union for self-employed "consultant" types with technical skills. We try to work on things like insurance and credentialing, but I think in the long term, as more and more work gets outsourced, there will be a place for these kinds of unions.

This is a step in the right direction. There are a lot of these people out there, who are represented only by professional associations. But these groups are notoriously right wing and self-absorbed (e.g. the American Medical Association) and there's a room for some competition among white collar workers. How do you all feel about industrial/business unions going after the petite-bourgeois? Of course, some of these people have a vested interest in the present order (e.g. financial analysts) but I think much of this could be said for some more unionized sectors, e.g. government workers or oil workers.

PS: comrade crum how do you reconcile your hoxhaism with being a wob?
  4. Comrade Rage
    Comrade Rage
    I believe you meant to link to this:

Yeah, sorry about forgetting the link.

PS: comrade crum how do you reconcile your hoxhaism with being a wob?
    There isn't really a problem between the two. The IWW Constitution doesn't endorse any political/anti-political sect, it leaves that debate open to individual members. The only real conflict between the two is that the IWW believes in working towards a general strike, which I used to believe whole heartedly in but I'm now starting to have doubts about, because even if the strike is successful the bourgeosie is going to use violence to suppress it.
  5. YSR
    YSR
    Just as a side note, Crum: the general strike is not the be all and end all of IWW strategy. I know plenty of wobs who think it's a stupid idea. We are working towards industrial democracy, however that comes about.
  6. MarxSchmarx
    MarxSchmarx
    general strike, which I used to believe whole heartedly in but I'm now starting to have doubts about, because even if the strike is successful the bourgeosie is going to use violence to suppress it.
    Aren't the bourgeoisie's security forces of the working class as well? In a true general strike:

No more deluded by reaction
    On tyrants only we’ll make war
    The soldiers too will take strike action
    They’ll break ranks and fight no more
    Don't you all think the general strike has historically included those who enforce the bourgeois order?

Are you all cynical about the potential for the security forces to desert their masters as well?
  7. Comrade Rage
    Comrade Rage
    Just as a side note, Crum: the general strike is not the be all and end all of IWW strategy. I know plenty of wobs who think it's a stupid idea. We are working towards industrial democracy, however that comes about.
    I mis-spoke in my post a little. The IWW isn't working towards a general strike, but the general strike is pretty much the only conflict that I have with anything said by the IWW.

Are you all cynical about the potential for the security forces to desert their masters as well?
    Depends. I think certain sectors like private security and Blackwater types might, Police probably won't, but most of the military will. I think the military is less likely to fire on strikers because a large portion of soldiers are from a working-class background. Police are less likely, I've never met a leftist cop, but I've met a few leftist vets.