Where were you when...

1. ¿Que?
    ¿Que?
    Post your memories of significant moments in history.

I remember chickening out of the walkout protesting Gulf War One in high school and sitting through a horrible (possibly illegal) lecture by my pre-cal teacher about how dangerous Saddam Was.
  2. A.J.
    A.J.
    I remember when thatcher resigned.

I was 8 years at the time. I just got back home from school and put on ceefax(we'd just gotten a teletext t.v.) to see the big headline on the main page.

Quite a big story at the time. I felt a strange sort of giddieness.
  3. Bitter Ashes
    Bitter Ashes
    I remember watching the TV telling me about the Gulf War. My Dad explained what war was, but I was confused why anyone would have a war over golf. My parents booked me a hearing test and discovered I was deaf then.

I remember the wall coming down and my Dad shouting at the TV whenever Thatcher was on (I dont remember her resigning).

I was bieng looked after by my step-nan when Diana died and I thought they were pullng my leg.

edit: Shouldnt post drunk...
  4. Die Neue Zeit
    Die Neue Zeit
    I cringe at the classroom Catholic prayer that was made for the US to beat "devil" Saddam.
  5. Manic Impressive
    Manic Impressive
    I remember Thatcher resigning happy days

I went swimming on the day of Diana's funeral I remember because I was the only one there and the water was perfectly still which looked quite cool it was like my private pool for the day.

I was having a cup of tea and a huge skunk joint when the twin towers came down.
  6. mattb62
    mattb62
    I remember the resignation speech of Richard Nixon, and my first anti-war march in 1983.
  7. Amphictyonis
    I remember John Lenin being killed -one of my first memories actually. 9/11 I was in west Oakland binge drinking all night till 9 in the morning and when it came on the TV we all thought it was some sort of hallucination.
  8. grok
    grok
    I was parked in front of a (black & white) TV most of day of 1963.11.22 at my uncle's house, while the adults talked...
  9. Lynx
    Lynx
    I was supposed to go and shovel snow when the space shuttle blew up.
  10. RedAnarchist
    RedAnarchist
    I remember when I was eight back in 1994, and I had woken up early so I went downstairs and turned on the television. The news was on, and this rather boring looking flag was being lowered, and then this new, nicer looking flag was raised. As I don't remember them saying which country it was, I didn't know until a few years later that it was when they changed the flag of South Africa at the end of apartheid.

Another similar memory was when I was watching news of the 1996 Olympics bombing. I wondered at the time why someone would carry out such an attack.

I was at school when the 9/11 attacks happened, and when I got home we had the television on the news for hours afterwards. It seemed very surreal at the time as I had never heard of a plane deliberately crashing into a building before.

I don't really have that many memories of major events that happened in the 1990s.
  11. Loony
    Loony
    Wow! Interesting thread.

Gulf War: we had to make a poster at school about the Gulf War. I made a "Save the People of Iraq" poster. I don't think my teacher liked this very much.

Princess Di's death: Hung-over from a night of wild partying

Nelson Mandela's release from prison: watched it live on TV

1994 South African elections: Since I live in South Africa I went through the whole process. With all the riots in the 80's, the Boipatong Massacre in 1992. We were booked off school for 2 weeks over the time of the elections because we were warned that the black people were going to come murder all the white people. Everyone stocked up on tinned food because of the "famine" which was going to follow. I had to eat canned beans for a very long time after the elections.

9/11: was at college, sweeping the floor and had the TV on. Watched it live.

Was in Germany 6 months after the Wall came down. Chopped a piece off in Berlin which I still have.
  12. Thelonious
    Thelonious
    I arrived in the United States in June of 1980 from Cuba during the Mariel Boatlift. I was 7 years-old and the first thing I remember about the USA was hearing the song "Cars" by Gary Numan on a radio in Miami.