Crust punk?

1. Idealism
    Idealism
    whats the general opinion on it? i dont really know much about it, so that why im asking
  2. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    I dont like it myself.
  3. Bandito
    Bandito
    Nah.
  4. Palmares
    Palmares
    Crust is aight. The historical progression from anarcho-punk.

Punk meets metal, thrash is the metal version, crust the punk version

Do you want recommendations? Crust is one of the more political genres, and holds the DIY ethic quite high. Anarchism is associated with it, but you know, it seems largely a lifestylist/surface undertaking.

I dunno where to start honestly, I've been into crust for years.

Maybe like, early stuff like Aus Rotten (now Caustic Christ and Behind Enemy Lines) and Nausea could be a good start.

Tell me more about what kind of music you like (anarcho-punk, or hardcore, or metal, sludge, d-beat, melodic crust, etc) so I can get an idea what to recc.
  5. Idealism
    Idealism
    Crust is aight. The historical progression from anarcho-punk.

Punk meets metal, thrash is the metal version, crust the punk version

Do you want recommendations? Crust is one of the more political genres, and holds the DIY ethic quite high. Anarchism is associated with it, but you know, it seems largely a lifestylist/surface undertaking.

I dunno where to start honestly, I've been into crust for years.

Maybe like, early stuff like Aus Rotten (now Caustic Christ and Behind Enemy Lines) and Nausea could be a good start.

Tell me more about what kind of music you like (anarcho-punk, or hardcore, or metal, sludge, d-beat, melodic crust, etc) so I can get an idea what to recc.
    I like a lot of eighties hardcore, though havent found much good hardcore today.
  6. Palmares
    Palmares
    80's hardcore? Hmmm... I'm not really into that, so it's kinda hard for me to say.

Have you listened to any Crust at all?

Is there any other punk or hardcore or metal that you like? More info, might give me more of a chance to help you, maybe.
  7. Idealism
    Idealism
    Some hardcore bands i like: Reign supreme, comeback kid, Killing the dream, Kids like us, Shipwreck (A.D.).

Some punk i like: Discharge, Subhumans, Black flag, MDC, Flux of pink indians
    Conflict.
    Hope that helps.
  8. Palmares
    Palmares
    Well, evidently you like some anarcho-punk. Perhaps you would then like at least some of the early crust bands, like the ones I mentioned before (Aus Rotten, Nausea). Maybe you'd like Oi Polloi too, though, their stuff has changed alot over the years, they are still pretty solid and rad.

So maybe check out early crust for example. Maybe read the wikipedia article on it? Such as:

The early work of Doom, Amebix, Nausea, Antisect, and Hellbastard constitute prototypical crust punk.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crust_punk
  9. victim77
    victim77
    To me it seems like alot of crusty's are somewhat elite in a strange sense. From my experience, if your not a squatter and you wash your clothes regularly they won't talk to you. The music isn't bad though.
  10. The Ben G
    The Ben G
    Good music. Doom and Nausea are the best crust bands.
  11. blake 3:17
    blake 3:17
    Only because of that [he is a species-being/conscious being] is his activity free activity. Estranged labor reverses the relationship, so that it is just because man is a conscious being that he makes his life activity, his essential being, a mere means to his existence.
    What Doom would you recommend? They were the fave band in a certain part of the anarcho-punk scene I hung out with but I never really listened to them.
  12. Ztrain
    Ztrain
    Nausea and Antischism are amazing!
  13. Unkut
    Unkut
    To me it seems like alot of crusty's are somewhat elite in a strange sense. From my experience, if your not a squatter and you wash your clothes regularly they won't talk to you. The music isn't bad though.
    Some of those type of people seriously smell horrible lol

Well, evidently you like some anarcho-punk. Perhaps you would then like at least some of the early crust bands, like the ones I mentioned before (Aus Rotten, Nausea). Maybe you'd like Oi Polloi too, though, their stuff has changed alot over the years, they are still pretty solid and rad.

So maybe check out early crust for example. Maybe read the wikipedia article on it? Such as:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crust_punk
    I'm liking Antisect, thanks for the suggestion
  14. Property Is Robbery
    Property Is Robbery
    Wonderfully passionate music. And way more times than not very political with anarchist, animal rights, environmental, egalitarian, feminist , and anti-fascist themes
  15. The Garbage Disposal Unit
    The Garbage Disposal Unit
    I don't know how you feel about the more epic side of things, but lately I've been super stoked on Fall Of Effrafa (lots of long ambient bits), and From The Depths (ex-Requiem, operatic vocals, shredding).

As for being into eighties hardcore, I think LAST DAYS (sadly, long broken up) really helped me bridge that gap - fast and HC-y, but moving toward a sorta d-beaty crusty sound, with some really "big" moments.
  16. Leftsolidarity
    Leftsolidarity
    i <3 crust
  17. FatsoFreako
    FatsoFreako
    Amebix is pretty good. Crust punks themselves smell awful due to thier rebellion against showers.
  18. newdayrising
    newdayrising
    I like the music, but can't stand the lifestyle and politics the majority of them subscribe to.
    Have you guys heard the new Amebix by the way? Fantastic, much better than I expected.
  19. Spurcatu
    Spurcatu
    Yes the music is good, the modulating noise that switches rhythmically between two polarities, like making tones with a chainsaw; i like black metal too for that reason as it gives me a primitive feeling (not by means but by result). Otherwise the crusties are like, doing an artistic performance about what should represent their political actions. A lot of them are rich bogus kids (neo-crusties) that like to play poor with their parents' money or make those subcultural norms through which they believe they are politically active(like the thing mentioned with not washing, squats, although squatting is a valid alternative in opposing taxes and denial of state property). In my country this cultural phenomenon is almost unknown, most of them got to know it through its watered down, compromised version of neo-crust. Otherwise i like most bands like Antisect, Axegrinder, Hellbastard, Doom, Amebix, Sacrilege. Also hardcore punk/d-beat bands like Discharge, Disorder, GBH, Broken Bones, English Dogs, Varukers, Anti-Cimex, Inepsy, Uncurbed, Disclose, Crude SS, Shitlickers...I cant stand modern hardcore with their wailing and crying. Otherwise i listen to a lot of metal also, Celtic Frost, Bathory, Venom, Darkthrone...too many to name. I mostly attend hardcore shows. Crust is like what appeared in England as a mix between punk and metal as it appeared in America as mix between metal and punk under the form of thrash metal, although thrash metal is not political at all, most of the lyrics are really full of teenage senseless fantasy.