Reading & Discussion

1. Caj
    Caj
    Does anyone want to read and discuss any of Bukharin's works as a group? We could just make threads for individual works of interest or, if anyone else has the time and motivation to do so, we could go through everything on MIA chronologically (though that could take a while).
  2. Grenzer
    Grenzer
    That sounds like a good idea to me, but I'm busy to the point where I wouldn't have time to begin this until the middle of December. There are a still four Bukharin books(out of a total six that I know of) that remain for me to physically acquire. The philosophical notebook, which he considered to be his finest and most mature book, was pretty expensive but I have that now. I'll see if I can get around to scanning that eventually so we can all read through that.

Leo seems to know about some of his works from Bukharin's Left Communist days, so I'm going to message him about where those can be found on the internet. Anti-left communists tend to hysterically go on about Brest-Litovsk, but I'm told that the left communist platform was actually quite mature and had much more to it than that. It would be good to try to go through some of that.

In the meantime, the best place to start would probably be Bukharin's Imperialism and the World Economy. It would be interesting to examine this work in the context of the traditional Stalinist and Trotskyist understanding of imperialism, which I frankly regard as a vulgarization of Marxism. This could be extended to doing a direct comparison of the work with Lenin's Imperialism.