Favorite Bolshevik

1. Caj
    Caj
    I don't think everybody had a chance to share their favorite Bolshevik revolutionary before the Bolsheviks group was deleted.

My answer was Lenin because of his unparalleled theoretical and practical contributions to the international revolutionary movement. I'm also a fan of Trotsky, Myasnikov, Kollontai, and Dzerzhinsky.
  2. bad ideas actualised by alcohol
    bad ideas actualised by alcohol
    Of course Lenin and Stalin but I also like Molotov
  3. Ismail
    Ismail
    Lenin and Stalin. Rather hard to separate the two. Molotov, Kaganovich, Kirov and Zhdanov. Yaroslavsky seemed rather interesting. There was also Kamo, one of Stalin's friends, who was notable more for the "bad ass" stuff he did than anything ideological.
  4. Brosa Luxemburg
    Brosa Luxemburg
    There was also Kamo, one of Stalin's friends, who was notable more for the "bad ass" stuff he did than anything ideological.
    If I remember correctly, didn't this guy rob banks to raise money for the Bolsheviks and escape from prison? He also got permission from Lenin himself to create his own gang? If this is the guy I am thinking of, he is a complete badass!

As for my favorite Bolsheviks: Lenin (duh), Myasnikov, Dzerzhinsky, Bukharin, and Trotsky (to a limited extent, I don't like the whole "include social-democrats in the united front" thing).
  5. Brosa Luxemburg
    Brosa Luxemburg
    Kollontai
    I am interested in why you chose Kollontai. I know she was apart of the Workers' Opposition.
  6. Welshy
    As I said in the previous group before it was deleted, Lenin, Myasnikov, and Dzerzhinsky. Sverdlov seemed pretty cool too but he died so early that it's difficult for me to make a full opinion.
  7. Caj
    Caj
    I am interested in why you chose Kollontai. I know she was apart of the Workers' Opposition.
    Yeah, I don't agree with her positions as a member of the Workers' Opposition. I agree with Lenin that the Workers' Opposition represented a "syndicalist and anarchist deviation" within the Party.

I'm a fan of Kollontai because of her feminism and her views on marriage, the family, love, etc., which were much more radical than most of her fellow Old Bolsheviks.
  8. Grenzer
    Grenzer
    It's weird that so many people like Dzerzhinsky. His politics were super ass and he became a Stalinist. He would probably be embarrassed to see so many "counter-revolutionaries" and "Trotskyite terrorists" praising him to the heavens.
  9. Art Vandelay
    While I am not sure if anyone was praising his politics, he undoubtedly played an invaluable and necessary part in the revolution.
  10. Brosa Luxemburg
    Brosa Luxemburg
    ^That's were I was coming from as well.
  11. Die Neue Zeit
    Die Neue Zeit
    It's weird that so many people like Dzerzhinsky. His politics were super ass and he became a Stalinist. He would probably be embarrassed to see so many "counter-revolutionaries" and "Trotskyite terrorists" praising him to the heavens.
    Dzerzhinsky wasn't an Old Bolshevik. He belonged to that sectarian outfit, the Social Democracy of the Kingdom of Poland and Lithuania, and its stance against dissolving into the RSDLP.
  12. Welshy
    Dzerzhinsky wasn't an Old Bolshevik. He belonged to that sectarian outfit, the Social Democracy of the Kingdom of Poland and Lithuania, and its stance against dissolving into the RSDLP.
    I don't think it's really fair to condemn him for the sectarianism of the SDKPiL as when he was in the LSDP he advocated merging it with the RSDLP. Plus when it came time for revolution he join the Bolsheviks, if he was really sectarian one would imagine he wouldn't have joined them and would have just stuck with the SDKPiL. Also to GhostBebel, I find Dzerzhinsky to be more of an interesting individual rather than liking him for his politics. Myasnikov is the only one besides Lenin that I listed because I like his politics.
  13. Ocean Seal
    Ocean Seal
    Dzerzhinsky died in 1926 so he never really could have been a "Stalinist". I would say that Stalinism took off in the Mid 30's. He endorsed Stalin that is true, but I think that those were very different circumstances.
  14. Grenzer
    Grenzer
    Dzerzhinsky died in 1926 so he never really could have been a "Stalinist". I would say that Stalinism took off in the Mid 30's. He endorsed Stalin that is true, but I think that those were very different circumstances.
    Actually he was, and could have been quite easily. I don't know how you came to the bizarre conclusion that because he died in 1926 that he couldn't have been a Stalinist. The Stalinization of the Soviet Union began in 1923, it merely did not reach its apex until after that. Your conclusion defies common sense entirely and bypasses even the idealist notion that Stalinization did not begin until after the defeat of the United Opposition. Stalinism is not something that magically and spontaneously appeared out of thin air.
  15. Grenzer
    Grenzer
    I'm aware of that, but he did end up joining the party and holding a position within the Soviet Government. I always thought it was insanely hypocritical that a nationally based party(within a country that didn't exist) was against self-determination. It was indeed pointlessly sectarian. Ideally they should have just renounced their chauvinist "anti-national" strategy, but at the least if they refused to do that they should have broken up into the SPD and RSDLP.
  16. Ostrinski
    Dzerzhinsky had ultra left politics, easily as a result of his association with Luxemburg while in Poland.
  17. Ostrinski
    To anwer OP: Lenin, Trotsky, Bukharin. I.e. everyone elses answer
  18. Geiseric
    Geiseric
    Lenin and Trotsky noticed among Georgian, Polish, basically non Russian communists a "Russophilia," which is basically the same as how lots of Chicanos in the U.S. try to overcompensate on their percieved patriotism. Dzherinsky, Stalin, and Khruschev were some examples off the top of my head. It's really fucking wierd, especially since alot of the Thermidors were part of this Russophile demographic.

The bolshevik experiance shows us that we need desperately to recruit minorities and to do work with non whites, or else we're doomed to being ethno centric. Obviously this only goes for white comrades, who might find this difficult if they live in say a suburb.
  19. Ostrinski
    What other bolsheviks do trots like other than lenin and trotsky
  20. Zeus the Moose
    Zeus the Moose
    What other bolsheviks do trots like other than lenin and trotsky
    Depends on what they've read outside of their party education programmes

I've seen some Trotskyists rep Alexandra Kollontai at times. Possibly also Adolph Joffe and Karl Radek.

While they're not Trotskyists, I remember coming across a number of PSL members a few years ago who were very interested in Yakov Sverdlov, which I found somewhat interesting. Not really sure what to make of it.
  21. Grenzer
    Grenzer
    Dzerzhinsky had ultra left politics, easily as a result of his association with Luxemburg while in Poland.
    He actually dumped those entirely fairly early on. Lenin actually criticized him for "great Russian chauvinism", i.e. that Dzerhzhinsky had taken up a hypocritical position towards Georgian and Ukrainian minorities, and Lenin postulated that this was due to Dzerzhinsky trying to make up for the fact that he wasn't Russian. He began following Stalin's line in the early 20's.
  22. Yuppie Grinder
    Lenin and Kollontai.