Equalists

1. Welshy
    I started watching the Legend of Korra and I've been getting the feel that the equalists are meant to be a strawman of communist movements. What do you think?
  2. seventeethdecember2016
    Precisely what I think. However, I don't think it is as much a strawman as a parody. I seriously doubt the creators would try and make some kind of political statement.

Here was a previous comment of mine on Youtube about the Equalists.
    Why must the Antagonist be so righteous... Viva la Revolution!
    The only thing I have against the Equalists being on the show is that they are going to lose. The fact that I can deeply sympathize with the Antagonist ruins the show for me in a way.
  3. Welshy
    I sympathize with them too. But the whole showing the leader of the Equalists as being some evil cult leader and the whole "You are oppressing yourselves" bit left a bad taste in my mouth. I mean I like the show but I think the problem is that they are taking something that is more akin to a society with strong institutional racism and then are trying to make it into anti-communism.

I seriously doubt the creators would try and make some kind of political statement.
    A lot of kid shows have adult themes in them that little kids won't pick up on, so I wouldn't put it past the creators to put in.

I also sympathize with the equalists. I just wish they weren't lead by the bad guy.
  4. seventeethdecember2016
    Well is he really a bad guy? I haven't really seen anything that would make him seem that way. The only victims I've seen so far were the those mobsters and their leader.

There is a large aura of benevolence around him.

The third episode makes the leader look like a hero, at least in my eyes.

And I agree with your other comments. It left a bad taste in my mouth too.
  5. Bostana
    Bostana
    Communist don't force people to give up what the naturally born with
  6. seventeethdecember2016
    Communist don't force people to give up what the naturally born with
    Indeed, but we are not taking their material conditions into account.

It has been obvious that non-benders are heavily ostracized, which is why the equalists are righteous. They seem very opportunistic though.
  7. Registered User
    It looks more like a Third-Positionist movement to me
  8. Bostana
    Bostana
    I think that the Equalists are obvious reactionaries.
  9. seventeethdecember2016
    They seemingly follow the Great Man Theory.
  10. .Commie
    .Commie
    Wow,This observation is much better than equating with Nazism (which everyone seems to do whereever I go -.-) Well, Equalist are as their name expresses,they want equality and some have abilities inherited that others do not and they often use it to attack those who after being attacked become equalists. I mean there is a definite class system present and obviously a passionate hatred against the benders. I think it represents a definite revolutionary spirit but don't think so much communist though. Remember though the show takes place from the benders viewpoint and glorifies those who bend. It may be a communist parody given it is during the industrial revolution but could very easily be any equalist group.
  11. Welshy
    After watching it seems that the Equalists are more of a national liberationist type group since you have non-benders who are working class, petty bourgeoisie and capitalists and they view the benders as their oppressors despite the fact that working class benders and non-benders are exploited.

I also predict that the representative from the Northern Water tribe is Amon and is using the Equalists to gain more power for himself through suppressing them coming out as the hero of Republic City.
  12. .Commie
    .Commie
    Welshy

But wasn't the northern water tribe rep. with Chief Bi fong? How could he be in two places at once? I do support the conclusion he is in league with them,though.
  13. Welshy
    Welshy

But wasn't the northern water tribe rep. with Chief Bi fong? How could he be in two places at once? I do support the conclusion he is in league with them,though.
    Are you talking about during the attack on the pro-bending stadium? Before Amon came onto the stage, the equalist troops had knock out Chief Bei Fong and her police force, this could have given him to get to the staging area. Also in Amon's first contact with Korra took place after a very long wait giving him enough time to slink away.

Also being a bender might give him the capability to learn how to do qi bending giving him the ability to remove bending powers from people.
  14. xREDNECKx
    xREDNECKx
    After watching it seems that the Equalists are more of a national liberationist type group since you have non-benders who are working class, petty bourgeoisie and capitalists and they view the benders as their oppressors despite the fact that working class benders and non-benders are exploited
    Then you have your answer Welshy.Amon and the Equalists aren't supposed to make communists look bad;it's to shed light on reactionaries that claim to overthrow oppression
  15. Agent Ducky
    Agent Ducky
    I don't think they're like communists at all, considering that one of their biggest supporters was the most bourgeois character in the show Mr. Henry Ford-esque "captain of industry"
    Bending has no relation to the means of production.