Oppositionalism and the Left

1. Welshy
    This thread is inspired by something DNZ posted a while ago and came to me again while talking to Kontrrazvedka today.

So it seems like among the "left" playing the role of opposition is quite common if not the standard position to take. When I say playing the role of opposition I mean they position themselves as being against this austerity measure and that anti-labor law and so on. The position is really easy to try to fill as it seems like the most natural position to hold when discussing the current state of things with friends, family, co-workers or random people you meet. But I feel that especially in the US, that this position prevents one from looking beyond reformism and encourages things like electoralism and because of this won't do much in the way of bring the working class over to communist positions because they will go to the bourgeois parties that they feel will prevent this attack or make it not as harsh.

So how do we as communists move beyond oppositionalism to something that is actually revolutionary in practice?
  2. Grenzer
    Grenzer
    Not much we can do right now. Our presence is so small and limited that our proposals aren't really heard or seriously considered. Class struggle is going to need to be advanced and class consciousness raised to a significant degree before people will start taking us seriously. I don't mean to sound defeatist right now, but for some reason we're doing pretty shitty right now. This should be a time of strength for the communist movement, but so far we've only been seeing microscopic gains.

DNZ's proposal is, of course, the merger of Marxism with the worker's movement, which would involve the "party of a new type" advancing reforms to build up a movement capable of taking revolutionary action. I don't really need to go into detail as to what makes this problematic.

This pretty much seems to be the sort of question that Kontra was asking earlier today, but perhaps yours is less left-communist specific.
  3. Welshy

This pretty much seems to be the sort of question that Kontra was asking earlier today, but perhaps yours is less left-communist specific.
    Yeah It is pretty similar and I hope that what ever answer is given with help supplement the answer given to Kontrrazvedka. Though this question is relevant to most of the left, I want to hear an answer from left com's in particular, because I'm not terribly interested in hearing what trotskyists and stalinists have to say on this matter atm.