Hammer and Sickle

1. Martin Blank
    I've been trying to research more about the Communist Workers' International and its constituent organizations, particularly the KAPD and the KRPR (the Workers' Group of the RCP). Of course, I've been able to find documents and articles and such, but one thing that I have become increasingly curious about is if these organizations used alternative symbolism than the "official" CI and CPs -- specifically the hammer and sickle.

I know that at least one organization of left communism uses the HnS: the PCI of Italy. I'm curious, though, if this is an exception or a norm among left communists, especially those who stand more in the KAPD/KRPR/KAI tradition.

I guess my questions are these:

1. Did the KAPD/KRPR/KAI use the hammer and sickle as a symbol, yes or no?

2. If no, what kind of symbolism did they use -- on flags, signs, buttons, literature, etc.?

3. Is there a general symbol that is common among left communists in the same sense as the hammer and sickle is common among MLs, Trotskyists, Maoists, etc.?

Thanks for any assistance in advance. I know these are not exactly burning questions, but I am curious about the answers to them.
  2. Jock
    Jock
    You got the Initials wrong. The Internationalist Communist Party (Battaglia Communista) is known as the PCInt. The PCI was the Italian Communist Party (i.e the Stalinists). The PCInt has used the symbol of the hammer and sickle over a rising sun with ears of corn around it since 1943 as it was a Bolshevik symbol reflecting the alliance of workers and peasants. I have campaigned for years to get rid of it as we need to look forward not back but our young comrades seem to like it.