Who can do what?

1. Q
    Q
    Let's list our qualities here and also brainstorm on what might be needed.

What is needed:
    - Camera shooting: For a simple youtube project I don't think this is really needed, but if we have people that can do this, name it!
    - Montage/editing: The part that makes a film jaw dropping or totally flopping, I think this may be the hardest part.
    - Distribution: We can all post on Youtube, but what other ways for distribution are there? Do you have networks to people that come in handy in this regard?
    - Script writing: An undervalued but essential part for a good video. You can't just shoot and edit on a blank, you have to plan stuff before you do anything.
    - Voice overs: Pleasant voices to hear are important if you're watching a long documentary.

While this is all very new for me, I can help out at script writing myself, if someone can give me some pointers on the unique aspects of this style of writing.
  2. Lyev
    Lyev
    I wouldn't mind teaching myself to edit/montage. Although all I have at the moment is Windows Movie Maker. At school I once used an Adobe video editor and that was very good from what I remember. I wouldn't mind doing voice overs too, although I'm not sure how "pleasant" my voice is :P. Oh and and I don't mind helping with writing the script either.
  3. Chambered Word
    Chambered Word
    - Montage/editing: The part that makes a film jaw dropping or totally flopping, I think this may be the hardest part.
    I could try my hand at this, although I'd like to do a bit more scripting. My computer's a bit slow anyway and I don't have a lot of software for editing.

- Distribution: We can all post on Youtube, but what other ways for distribution are there? Do you have networks to people that come in handy in this regard?
    Maybe I could torrent it on a few sites and let other RevLefters download it, then we all seed it some more. I can also post links to videos on various Facebook groups to get the YouTube hits up. We could try our hand at promoting our YT channel through other popular leftist channels (Maoist Rebel News? That's a start, I suppose.) So this will be a bit time-consuming but not too hard.

- Script writing: An undervalued but essential part for a good video. You can't just shoot and edit on a blank, you have to plan stuff before you do anything.
    I'm up for this if I am needed.

I wouldn't mind doing voice overs too, although I'm not sure how "pleasant" my voice is :P. Oh and and I don't mind helping with writing the script either.
    Not sure about mine. Maybe we'll have a 'good voice' contest, lol.
  4. Tablo
    I can distribute, edit, and film. I may be able to get some good video content by interviewing people in my area. As far as editing goes I can do it, but it won't be the quality of a professional.
  5. professorchaos
    professorchaos
    I'm a music performance major and composition minor, would be happy to provide soundtracking services where appropriate, as well as audio editing.
  6. Weezer
    Weezer
    I have access to some fairly good video editors, give me some material, and I'll see what I can contribute.
  7. Tatarin
    Tatarin
    I know one site on where media can be uploaded under GNU license: www.archive.org . There is already a lot of media there, and you'll find left-wing and right-wing media of all kind there. I suggested the video before, but Capitalism And Other Kids' Stuff is uploaded there since way back and can be downloaded for free. There's also some Michael Parenti and John Zerzan stuff, and if you listen to Zerzan's podcast you'd think he is the first to be banned from Archive, but it's there (in other words, they will not remove it because it is leftist).

Another way to distribute a video or a collection is torrent, and there are some legal torrent sites such as http://www.legittorrents.info . YouTube and other such services are a good way too for direct watching. I'll also suggest that when one long movie is done, or a collection, it could be "made together" into an .iso-file for easy DVD-burning, which can be done in Nero (you put in the movies, create the menu, but burn it on the "image recorder" instead of the DVD player. The file will be saved on the computer compressed with everything, and the user then only have to click on it twice and burn it onto a DVD). This of course requires Nero which costs money, and I am not too familiar with users of Mac and Linux.

As for editing, Windows Movie Maker is pretty okay for something from Microsoft, although it is rigged with crashes, and isn't that advanced for multiple sound and video tracks. Also, WMM only accepts .mpeg files and it's own .wmv files, which is problematic as much on the internet is downloaded in .avi or .mp4. That in itself is not such a big problem, there is a great file converter, Pazera, which can convert such files into .mpeg; http://download.cnet.com/Pazera-Free...-10786669.html

(It's free "for all time" to use, although users should experiment a little bit with the settings before converting files as conversion can take some time depending on size. Also, Nero only accepts .mpeg and .wmv (and some others), not .mp4 and .avi files (unless you buy some expensive add-on) so this is another way of solving that.)

Anyway, I did experiment with Adobe Premiere 6.0 a while ago with one of my friends, and as far as I can remember it was pretty good and easy to both use and learn, and offers much more editing freedom than WMM ever did, as well as compression options and the possibility to add formats (DivX, Xvid etc). Unfortunately, Premiere costs a lot, but it is well worth it.

I haven't been able to find much of a good music making/editing program for Windows - free or not - but the best I know is Garage Band and is exclusively for Macintoch (unless you have the knowledge to run Mac on Windows etc). Macs also have a pretty good internal movie editing and DVD-burning/making programs, so if you're out for a purely movie/music machine Mac is the best bet. But again the cost is the downside; while I managed to get an "okay" PC for about 400 euro, the only Macs in sight lands on 1000 euro, but I don't know how it looks like elsewhere.

Well, there you have it, some media tips. Also, I think we could look around on Archive.org for images and such, I think people have uploaded stuff for free use (as long as you print their credits), and there are a lot of public domain movies from the 1920's and 30's that could be cut into various uses. That's my two cents.

8. Rusty Shackleford
    Rusty Shackleford
    My roommate is really good with Flash animation so i asked him to teach me how to do that. if i can make quality yet simple animations i could contribute that. i have not started yet but i will sometime this week
  9. Robocommie
    Robocommie
    I have good writing and speaking skills, though I don't have a microphone. I also have some experience in academic research and writing for history.
  10. Tablo
    I have good writing and speaking skills, though I don't have a microphone. I also have some experience in academic research and writing for history.
    We will certainly need writers.
  11. Tyrlop
    My roommate is really good with Flash animation so i asked him to teach me how to do that. if i can make quality yet simple animations i could contribute that. i have not started yet but i will sometime this week
    Great! I've been using flash animations since 2008, i have made one finished cartoon so far. i've been working on a Antifascist cartoon since last newyear, but i have not touched it since last summer
    We could finish that cartoon together, i've been looking for a partner for a long time now!

Great, you need to start writing now. post what you're progress everyday so we can disscuss it and edit it, this will be excelent!
  12. Rusty Shackleford
    Rusty Shackleford
    Well, its going to take a long while to actually catch up to your level of animating haha. i do have experience with 3dsmax and AutoCad but not flash.
  13. cop an Attitude
    cop an Attitude
    Let's list our qualities here and also brainstorm on what might be needed.

What is needed:
    - Camera shooting: For a simple youtube project I don't think this is really needed, but if we have people that can do this, name it!
    - Voice overs: Pleasant voices to hear are important if you're watching a long documentary.
    I can do all those things. I have a camera and have made movies before. I can edit on Final Cut Pro (don't use widows moviemaker for the final product, although it could work for demos) better than some of the professors here so if you have footage and don't know how to construct a movie out of it, talk to me.

Heres a little movie I made a while back in high school about Brian Wilson.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysYRoHZ3UzE
    (I have fixed my typo problems)

I have a camera and some footage of the G20 already and I will continuously be getting more and more. I know how to script. I have done it before but it's the formalities that hold me up from time to time. If anyone needs starters on scripting I can help too. I'm going to school for Communications, focusing on Video Journalism, so hopefully making radical videos will be my job someday . Because of this, the school's equipment is at my disposal.

I can help in all the aspects of production. script>shooting>editing> distributing.

I'll upload my Pittsburgh G20 movie very soon. Hopefully that can give us a solid start (it's a lot better than that High School project I posted).
    I'm really looking forward to working with this group. Honestly, I always wanted to do a global video collaborative and with a little dedication we could defiantly make this into something!
  14. La Comédie Noire
    La Comédie Noire
    I can shoot, write, edit (although I am nowhere in the same league as cop an attitude in that regard) and distribute.
  15. Kwisatz Haderach
    Kwisatz Haderach
    I can write scripts, and come up with counters to capitalist arguments. Also, I'm fairly good at organizing a project as a whole.
  16. Amphictyonis
    I can write, suggest music and help frame the feel or point of the video.
  17. Sosa
    Sosa
    I can provide moral support
  18. Tablo
    Hmmm, this keeps dying. We need an official organizer to bug people about stuff and a dedicated few individuals we know will get work done. Also we need a new project.
  19. Gormanilius
    Gormanilius
    I have experience with video editing and composing. For reference, here is some of my work:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_0LC_7nLxg
  20. Gormanilius
    Gormanilius
    By the way, I would totally redo that video today, as I do not agree with the entire argument I made at that time. I also have a new computer and am trying to get decent video software again.
  21. Rooster
    Ha, not to make this sound like a CV or anything but.... I have years experience working within the television and film industry at all levels of pre-production, location shooting and post-production, script writing and paper work, research and directing. I have contacts with semi-professional editors and film crews. If anyone has a script or something they want me to look at and discuss, then I could try to get a crew together and go shoot it. I have a (crappy camera) with me at the moment, semi-decent editing software and some good mics, but I'm really not much of a voice over person what with my thick regional accent.

As for distribution, I can (and I think everyone else should), submit films if they're good enough to festivals and public screenings.

I also think that collecting a list of archive footage, such a production in factories, would be helpful for the production of videos. Especially for montage and such. A list of youtube links of such footage would be more than useful in this regard. A good programme that was on television is, I think, "How things are made". That is just the inside of factories and hows almost exclusively the production of mostly mundane things such as tooth brushes.
  22. Leftsolidarity
    Leftsolidarity
    I'd love to work with this
  23. Rooster
    I'd love to work with this
    This group appears to be mostly dead but if you want to do something I'll help. I'm a bit busy to work on something completely by myself at the moment though.

I'll go through youtube looking for archive footage when I'm done with today's tasks.