Please read

1. Kadir Ateş
    So we've agreed that July 1st, 2011 will be the start of this reading group.

Now, I don't know which editions you all have, but I think we should complete Notebook I and be ready to ask questions about the parts which seem confusing--help each other out.

Any further suggestions are welcomed.
  2. Niccolò Rossi
    Cool, I've never bothered to actually be a part of an online reading group. Will try to with this.

So what's the plan come July 1st? Are we expected to have read up to a certain point?

Nic.
  3. TheGodlessUtopian
    TheGodlessUtopian
    I've never read anything to do with grundisse but I assume Notebook one is a reference to how the book is constructed?

Yes,July 1st I will definitely have a copy.

As for teh edition,I will be buying the version put out by Penguin publishing.When I order it I will be sure to find the exact details.
  4. svenne
    svenne
    I'm (incredibly) broke at the moment, being totally unemployed since my last job closed down, so i'm going to use a PDF from MIA i found here: http://marxists.org/archive/marx/wor...Grundrisse.pdf
    Could somebody help me out with what pages are Notebook I?
  5. ar734
    ar734
    I show it as Collected Works, Vol 28, Economic Works, 1857-1861.
  6. Commie73
    Commie73
    I have the penguin version. From July First will we be reading Notebook 1 or should we have read notebook 1?
  7. TheGodlessUtopian
    TheGodlessUtopian
    I have the penguin version. From July First will we be reading Notebook 1 or should we have read notebook 1?
    I think we will be reading notebook one, and then discuss each section,define the terms,etc before moving on.
  8. Zanthorus
    Zanthorus
    I've got the Penguin edition with the translation by Martin Nicolaus on order and it should be arriving some time next week.

I think we may need some clarification here as to whether we start reading on July 1st or whether we need to have read Notebook I by July 1st.
  9. Rooster
    I'm (incredibly) broke at the moment, being totally unemployed since my last job closed down, so i'm going to use a PDF from MIA i found here: http://marxists.org/archive/marx/wor...Grundrisse.pdf
    Could somebody help me out with what pages are Notebook I?
    Notebook 1 consists of the first half of the section titled "The Chapter on Money". From Darimon's theory of crises to I think Three contradictory functions of money. The chapter on money goes over into notebook 2 though. I've got an edition from the 70s so I probably couldn't give you pages numbers, but it's a little over a hundred pages, I think. It's broken up like that because these are taken straight (more or less) from Marx's notebooks.
  10. svenne
    svenne
    Thanks rooster!
  11. Rooster
    Thanks rooster!
    It's no problem. I won't be able to read over the grundrisse because I'll be exceedling busy over the next couple of weeks or so. If our reading thing starts in July then that should be fine. I find much of the grundisse to be a chore to read mostly because it is just his notebooks and are written as such. I find the later parts of the book much more interesting, though.
  12. Lyev
    Lyev
    Would comrades recommend thoroughly studying volumes I to III of Capital before immersing myself in the Grundrisse?--Since I don't feel I have read through all of the former thoroughly enough, yet I would still like to participate in the reading group. Alternatively, I could try reading both side by side (which might help with my comprehension of both texts, in fact). Although this would be a bit more work for me. (However, I do not have college anymore so it's probably quite doable.) What are people's thoughts?
  13. Zanthorus
    Zanthorus
    What are people's thoughts?
    Well, the first couple of Notebooks are mostly concerned with the theories of money, value and fetishism, and don't go beyond the bounds of the first three chapters of Capital Volume I, although they do contain slightly elaborated discussions on those themes (for example, Marx briefly discusses fiat currency and convertibility, throwing light on his decision to focus in his published works primarily on specie currency). There is a discussion of the relationship between price and value, but this does not go beyond the limits of e.g. Wage Labour & Capital, as Marx seems to not have developed his mature view on this subject as per the material on the transformation problem in Volume III. I think you would be fine just reading the Grundrisse along with the rest of us without the second and third volume's of Capital, although you could refer to those volumes if you thought it might help you at any point (this is a reading group btw which means you're supposed to ask questions etc so everyone can help out each other to understand).
  14. Kadir Ateş
    July 1st meaning let's have read Notebook I on money.
  15. TheGodlessUtopian
    TheGodlessUtopian
    July 1st meaning let's have read Notebook I on money.
    Haha,well I know almost for sure I won't make that date since I just got my copy today, but I will read what I am able to and see where I am by the time I am done.