North Korea and African Communism?

1. Kamil
    Kamil
    were there relationships? I thought I read about solidarity between the two back when Poppa Sung was still alive
  2. Chimurenga.
    The DPRK sent military personnel to Zimbabwe (Rhodesia then) to aid in their national liberation struggle. The two countries have been on great terms ever since. I believe the DPRK also sent material aid to Angola as well.
  3. Chimurenga.
    By aid in Zimbabwe, I mean that they trained guerrilla units.
  4. Under Kim Il Sung's rule, Kim Il Sung had sent delegations into African countries to express solidarity as seen through certain documentaries that were produced within the DPRK. For what I know however, this type of solidarity was taking place somewhere in the 1980's, I'm unsure as to what documentary showed this. But it went into depth about the DPRK's delegations teaching African students about the DPRK's society and its goals. If I remember, it wasn't Zimbabwe though.
  5. Chimurenga.
    Under Kim Il Sung's rule, Kim Il Sung had sent delegations into African countries to express solidarity as seen through certain documentaries that were produced within the DPRK. For what I know however, this type of solidarity was taking place somewhere in the 1980's, I'm unsure as to what documentary showed this. But it went into depth about the DPRK's delegations teaching African students about the DPRK's society and its goals. If I remember, it wasn't Zimbabwe though.
    See the 'Fifth Brigade'. They were trained by northern Korean military personnel. It wasn't during the actual guerrilla warfare (I was wrong) but after Mugabe had been voted into power.
  6. See the 'Fifth Brigade'. They were trained by northern Korean military personnel. It wasn't during the actual guerrilla warfare (I was wrong) but after Mugabe had been voted into power.
    The DPRK delegations in the Documentary weren't in Zimbabwe.

A bit further on DPRK relations however under Kim Il Sung's time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgX8Je-BRrE
  7. Chimurenga.
    The DPRK delegations in the Documentary weren't in Zimbabwe.

A bit further on DPRK relations however under Kim Il Sung's time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgX8Je-BRrE
    That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. This is 1975. I'm talking early-mid 80's.
  8. That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. This is 1975. I'm talking early-mid 80's.
    It was unrelated to the 1980's, it was simply related to the DPRK's relations under Kim Il Sung.
  9. Return to the Source
    Return to the Source
    Because the subject of the DPRK-trained units in Zimbabwe often comes up in arguments against ZANU-PF, I want comrades to have access to this comprehensive report compiled by the Catholic Commission for Justice & Peace in Zimbabwe from March 1997. To date, it's the only third-party investigation into the so-called "Matabeleland genocide" that opponents of ZANU-PF claim occurred in the 1980s under the orders of then-Prime Minister Mugabe. Opponents charge that the DPRK-trained 'Fifth Brigade' carried out the bulk of these murders. The report finds that while some excesses occurred on both sides, ZANU and the Fifth Brigade carried out nothing remotely close to genocide. Conversely, the report finds that the Matabeleland rebels, backed by the remnants of ZAPU, were organizing for a civil war in Zimbabwe, had ties to South Africa, and carried out heinous repression on pro-ZANU peasants and workers.

Opponents of ZANU-PF love to cry crocodile tears about the "Matabeleland genocide," and I guarantee you will hear it invoked at least once in any debate about Zimbabwe. It's useful for these folks, especially Trots and left-communists, because, if true, it's an attack on both Zimbabwe and the DPRK.

It's not, though. Read through "Report on the 1980s Disturbances in Matabeleland & the Midlands," and drop it next time some fucknut tries to use it as an indictment of ZANU-PF and Robert Mugabe.
  10. Chimurenga.
    Thanks, RttS.