choose your muse

1. samofshs
    samofshs
    what instrument do you play thread is not up and this disappoints me. what instrument do you play? what genres do you play the most? what composers write stuff that is fun for you to play? what groups have you or do you play with? i'll start off.

im a percussionist and i like vibes, keyboards, trap-set, concert snare, concert bass, toys, and multiple percussion. I started off classical with concert instruments, then moved to jazz, segued to world percussion, and currently reside on keyboard(synthesizer) but still make time to regularly play all of the above. I like things arranged by Jed Davis from just about any composer-he makes ALL music fun. I've played with to many groups to list. from concert bands to "puppies" (beatles influenced roc/R&B) to jazz bands to scatting with Duffy Jackson.
  2. Mala Tha Testa
    Mala Tha Testa
    Uhhm.
    I Do Vocals And Keyboard Mostly.
    I Tinker With Guitar, Bass, Drum Programming, And Mandolin.

I've Played With Several Bands.
    I'm In Like, Six Now.
    Attack Now!(Vocals), Don't Feed The Bears(Keyboard), Everyone You Know(Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Keyboard), Hardcore Grandpa(Keyboard, Drum Programming), RACCOON CITY(Vocals), VENDETTA FACTION(Vocals), And Hot Air Balloons Turned Into Parachutes(Live Vocals).

I'm Also Involved With This Hardcore Punk Band, Sthuff(Substitute Live Vocals).

Several Different Genres.
    Thrash, Hardcore, Rap, Hip Hop, Rapcore, Experimental, Indie Pop, Indie Rock, Avant-Garde, Funk, And Some Other Stuff.

I Don't Play A Lot Of Other Composer's Stuff, That's Just Me.
    I've Learned A Couple One Day As A Lion Songs, Some Gorillaz, And Several Now, Now Every Children Songs, But That's About It Learning Wise.

And I Need To Stop Typing In All Caps, 'Cause It's Difficult To Differentiate Between Normal Words And Proper Nouns.
    :/
  3. VILemon
    VILemon
    I have played piano, guitar and harp (though only for a year in a high school orchestra). I now concentrate mainly on electronic music composition/experimentation so I use a lot of computer-produced sounds interwoven with samples of various real-world sounds for very a tonal and melodic (and hopefully novel) effect.
  4. leveller
    leveller
    I'm a guitarist, and i tinker with composing using a midi programme that you can point and click the notes onto the staff and play it back.

Favorite guitarist is Jeff Beck, followed by the Van Halen, Rhoads, Iommi, Vai, Satriani, Morellos, Wylde, Mclauglin, di meola clapton, page, green, the young bros, and the beautifully phrased leg end that is Mr Ritchie Blackmore.
  5. The Ben G
    The Ben G
    Guitar (of course), bass, Bagpipes, tuba, and piano/keyboard. My biggest inflouences are Crass, Suicidal tendencies, Megadeth, Ministry, Napalm death, Dead kennedys (with Jello) , Misfits (with danzig), Samael (after their black metal crap), Celtic frost, Doom (Crust punk band), Sex pistols, Motorhead, Sepultura (with the cavelara bros.) and Danzig. I like experimenting with lower/higher tunings and strange effects. But of course I love going back to playing traditional punk/metal songs and riffs.
  6. samofshs
    samofshs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmI_BsVfuCg
    oh my gawd! stanley clark not being beatable at anything in his octaves once again. a must see for everyone here!
  7. Tyrlop
  8. Turinbaar
    Turinbaar
    I started with guitar, then took up bass a few years ago, and now I'm learning piano and music theory. I really want to learn cello, but those aren't cheap. My teacher lived during the musical renaissance in the Bay Area in the 60's and my style has adapted to the folk rock compositions of his own. Right now my favorite bands are of an enigmatic genre, sometimes called alternative, or indie, or post-punk, taking characteristics from classical, punk, and psychedelic rock. These are Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Thee Silver Mount Zion, and Mogwai,which are bands that manage to import artistic story telling, or political expression into their pieces using a combination of disciplined execution and use of distortion effects.
  9. Ztrain
    Ztrain
    guitar/trombone
  10. Admiral Swagmeister G-Funk
    Admiral Swagmeister G-Funk
    I play guitar in a band. I also enjoy playing drums when I have access to a kit, and I can play a bit of keyboard too. My band is an art rock/noise rock/experimental and alternative band. Our influences range from Robert Johnson, to Captain Beefheart, to John Cage, to Sonic Youth, to many others! As for genres, with guitar, I usually play improvised blues when I'm just chilling with an acoustic, or I write my own stuff. When I'm plugged into an amp with my fx pedals, I like to experiment with noise.

In honesty, I think I should have spent as much time learning drums as I did guitar. I have always been good with percussion and picked up drums pretty quickly. However, it took me a long time to finally 'get into' guitar. I'm a pretty good guitarist, just think I was meant to play drums .

I have too many favourite guitarists to mention. The guitar sound and look alone is what inspired me to learn how to play one.
  11. IClibsoc
    IClibsoc
    I play guitar, baritone horn, bass guitar, and I'm currently learning violin and ukulele.
  12. Allende73
    Allende73
    *Chronological order: Violin, Guitar, charango, base guitar, tiple. I explore mostly south american rhythms: cumbia, carnaval, festejo, cueca... etc.