Freedom in the USSR

1. The Man
    The Man
    During the Stalinist era, did the people of the USSR have the Freedoms to Speech, Religion, and Protest?

Also, what caused the decline of living during the Stalinist era?
  2. Marxach-Léinínach
    Marxach-Léinínach
    The rapid industrialisation which was necessary to get the USSR in a better defensive position against its enemies was what caused the decline in living standards
  3. Comrade_Stalin
    Comrade_Stalin
    During the Stalinist era, did the people of the USSR have the Freedoms to Speech, Religion, and Protest?

Also, what caused the decline of living during the Stalinist era?
    Will on the "Freedom from Religion" one would say yes. Also one should note that with out any religion faction in power alot of larger religions were not able to attack smaller religions in the area, like the Jew for example. This is why so many of them moved there at that time.

On the "decline in living standards" one most also note the decline in living standards across the world at this time during the Great Depression, (1929-19239). Stalin was in power, from 1922-1952.
  4. Born in the USSR
    There were the following limitations of freedom to speech:it was forbidden to discuss the appropriateness of the Soviet regime and the activities of the top state leaders.

In 1943 there was a significant softening of policy toward the Church,in fact there was a complete freedom to religion since 1943.
  5. L.A.P.
    L.A.P.
    Under Stalin, the Soviet union did have the highest life expectancy in the world I believe or at least higher than the United States.
  6. El Chuncho
    El Chuncho
    It was a lot freer than many make out. Of course, you had limitations in free speech, but it was very free, as Born in The USSR, to religions. Also, the living standards were no worse, even better as (1994), than in the USA.
  7. I.O.T.M
    I.O.T.M
    Are there any books/articles on this subject that are worth a read?
  8. Ismail
    Ismail
    Are there any books/articles on this subject that are worth a read?
    Human Rights in the Soviet Union by Albert Szymanski if you want a positive appraisal from the 1980's by a Brezhnevite academic. I haven't read it, but I heard it's a fairly good read.
  9. The Vegan Marxist
    The Vegan Marxist
    Human Rights in the Soviet Union by Albert Szymanski if you want a positive appraisal from the 1980's by a Brezhnevite academic. I haven't read it, but I heard it's a fairly good read.
    It is! Definitely a great read!