What is Dialectical Materialism?

1. Bilan
    Bilan
    I thought this would be a good thread for beginners on Dialectical materialism. I find the concept a bit hard to get my head around.

From Marxists.org

Dialectical Materialism
    Dialectical Materialism is a way of understanding reality; whether thoughts, emotions, or the material world. Simply stated, this methodology is the combination of Dialectics and Materialism. The materialist dialectic is the theoretical foundation of Marxism (while being communist is the practice of Marxism).
    "It is an eternal cycle in which matter moves, a cycle that certainly only completes its orbit in periods of time for which our terrestrial year is no adequate measure, a cycle in which the time of highest development, the time of organic life and still more that of the life of being conscious of nature and of themselves, is just as narrowly restricted as the space in which life and self-consciousness come into operation. A cycle in which every finite mode of existence of matter, whether it be sun or nebular vapour, single animal or genus of animals, chemical combination or dissociation, is equally transient, and wherein nothing is eternal but eternally changing, eternally moving matter and the laws according to which it moves and changes.
    Fredrick Engels
    Dialectics of Nature
    Introduction
    "Motion is the mode of existence of matter. Never anywhere has there been matter without motion, or motion without matter, nor can there be."
    "Change of form of motion is always a process that takes place between at least two bodies, of which one loses a definite quantity of motion of one quality (e.g. heat), while the other gains a corresponding quantity of motion of another quality (mechanical motion, electricity, chemical decomposition).
    "Dialectics, so-called objective dialectics, prevails throughout nature, and so-called subjective dialectics (dialectical thought), is only the reflection of the motion through opposites which asserts itself everywhere in nature, and which by the continual conflict of the opposites and their final passage into one another, or into higher forms, determines the life of nature."
    Fredrick Engels
    Dialectics of Nature
    But dialectical materialism insists on the approximate relative character of every scientific theory of the structure of matter and its properties; it insists on the absence of absolute boundaries in nature, on the transformation of moving matter from one state into another, that from our point of view [may be] apparently irreconcilable with it, and so forth.
    Vladimir Lenin
    Materialism and Empirio-criticism
    With each epoch-making discovery even in the sphere of natural science, materialism has to change its form; and after history was also subjected to materialistic treatment, a new avenue of development has opened here, too. [Ch. 2, The End of Classical German Philosophy]
    "For dialectical philosophy nothing is final, absolute, sacred. It reveals the transitory character of everything and in everything; nothing can endure before it except the uninterrupted process of becoming and of passing away, of endless ascendancy from the lower to the higher."
    Fredrick Engels
    The End of Classical German Philosophy
    An example of dialectical materialism applied is the materialist conception of history .
    'Dialectical Materialism' was coined by Karl Kautsky and popularised in the Second International after the death of Marx and Engels.

2. Bilan
    Bilan
    Upon reading a bit more on Dialectics on Marxists.org I'm slowly getting a basic picture of it.

It's a combination of this:
    " Dialectics is the method of reasoning which aims to understand things concretely in all their movement, change and interconnection, with their opposite and contradictory sides in unity."
    and this
    "Those philosophical trends which emphasise the material world (the world outside of consciousness) as the foundation and determinant of thinking, especially in relation to the question of the origin of knowledge"

So, basically, dialectical materialism is a "method of reasoning" used to understand the movement of human history, based on "the material world" as the "determinant of thinking"?
  3. Random Precision
    So, basically, dialectical materialism is a "method of reasoning" used to understand the movement of human history, based on "the material world" as the "determinant of thinking"?
    Basically, yes. As formulated by Hegel, then reformulated by Marx and Engels, the materialist dialectic has the "three laws":

Opposites- everything in existence is in a state of opposites. The quintessential example of this in nature is the positive charge and the negative charge. An example more applicable to Marxism is capitalism and the proletariat. The contradictions between opposites spark a conflict that will move society forward.

Negation- entities need to negate themselves in order to produce higher forms. This is seen in class society: the negation of the aristocracy by the bourgeoisie produces the proletariat, the class that will eventually negate its creator. For this reason it is called "the negation of the negation".

Transformation- Essentially, a gradual change will produce a quantitative leap that finally marks the change. The best analogy I've heard for this is baldness: you gradually lose your hair, until enough of them have gone that you're bald. The quantity being hair, and the quality being haired versus bald.

I've probably made all kinds of errors by explaining this like so, but hey, you've gotta start somewhere.
  4. Bilan
    Bilan
    Cool, thanks. Is there any "beginner" or "introduction" texts on dialectical materialism?
  5. Random Precision
    Novack's Introduction to the Logic of Marxism should do pretty well:

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill...ogic/index.htm
  6. Bilan
    Bilan
    Thank you
  7. Hit The North
    Hit The North
    Basically, yes. As formulated by Hegel, then reformulated by Marx and Engels, the materialist dialectic has the "three laws":

Opposites- everything in existence is in a state of opposites. The quintessential example of this in nature is the positive charge and the negative charge. An example more applicable to Marxism is capitalism and the proletariat. The contradictions between opposites spark a conflict that will move society forward.
    I hate to be a party pooper here, but in a thread in Philosophy I think Rosa did a good job of demolishing this untenable universalistic claim. Not all things have a discernible opposite. What's the opposite of a banana? What's the opposite of a nebula?

Negation- entities need to negate themselves in order to produce higher forms. This is seen in class society: the negation of the aristocracy by the bourgeoisie produces the proletariat, the class that will eventually negate its creator. For this reason it is called "the negation of the negation".
    The negation of the aristocracy (whatever that means: its mass execution? Its removal as the ruling class?) by the bourgeoisie does not produce the proletariat. The proletariat is created from the economic imperatives of capitalist accumulation. Of course, the transformation of the peasantry into propertyless proletarians also undermines the economic and social foundations of feudalism, increases the power of capital over land, creates crisis and revolution and leads to the removal of the aristocracy as the ruling class.

The point of dialectics is that we should avoid simplistic cause and effect statements like "the negation of the aristocracy by the bourgeoisie produces the proletariat".
  8. Hit The North
    Hit The North
    Novack's Introduction to the Logic of Marxism should do pretty well:

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill...ogic/index.htm
    I studied politics at Uni under academic Marxist theoretician, Bob Jessop, and when I suggested possibly doing Novack as the subject of my dissertation, he said, "Why? The bloke's an idiot!"

Not saying the book's isn't worth reading (or that Jessop wasn't a bit of a twat); but I think Novack extolls a fairly orthodox version of the dialectics of nature which I don't agree with.
  9. Random Precision
    Like I said, Bob:

I've probably made all kinds of errors by explaining this like so
    It's kind of a joke that I'm leader of this group anyway, since I'm still very much learning the basics, but hey, no one else was doing it. So maybe, since you obviously know these things better than me, you could give our anarchist comrade a better explanation of things? I'd sincerely appreciate it.
  10. Hit The North
    Hit The North
    Hey, man, it's not a competition. You're doing an excellent job of leading the forum, btw.

My only point is that we should be careful not to force dialectics into a positivist straight-jacket. Explanation is more subtle, more multi-faceted than simple cause and effect.

I think SACT has it pretty much down when he claims
    [b]asically, dialectical materialism is a "method of reasoning" used to understand the movement of human history, based on "the material world" as the "determinant of thinking"
    Although we can add various qualifications to that statement.

Plus, an important addendum is that the reason our thinking needs to be dialectical is because the world we're trying to comprehend is itself dialectical.

An important controversy is the limit we put on the kind of "world" we're trying to comprehend. For me, the "world" is human history and, particularly, capitalism which, as Marx famously observed, "cannot exist without continually revolutionising the instruments of production, hence the relations of production, and therefore social relations as a whole." And where "All that is solid melts into air."
  11. PRC-UTE
    PRC-UTE
    Hey, man, it's not a competition. You're doing an excellent job of leading the forum, btw.
    I agree, this forum's going well.

My only point is that we should be careful not to force dialectics into a positivist straight-jacket. Explanation is more subtle, more multi-faceted than simple cause and effect.
    Right, there are a lot of simplistic versions being peddled around.

the emphasis with dialectics or any area of marxism should be in abstracting principles and theories from observations of concrete reality.
  12. PRC-UTE
    PRC-UTE
  13. A.R.Amistad
    A.R.Amistad
    I hate to be a party pooper here, but in a thread in Philosophy I think Rosa did a good job of demolishing this untenable universalistic claim. Not all things have a discernible opposite. What's the opposite of a banana? What's the opposite of a nebula?
    Hm, I always understood it as the unity of opposing forces, not necessarily opposites. One cannot deny that there is no set opposite of a "banana," but an apple is an opposing force to a banana, so a fruit salad could be considered a unity of opposing forces I guess
  14. Freedom-Hating Communist
    Freedom-Hating Communist
    To look at it this way misses the entire point of dialectics. The point is to understand change which is not caused by an external influence. A dialectic is an internally contradictory totality in a state of constant change. So, it is wrong to look for the opposite of a bannana, or nebula. It is correct to look at the opposing forces within the bannana which cause it to form, to grown, and then to blacken and die. It is correct to look at the forces within the nebula which cause it to change into stars, solar systems, etc.

Rosa, as usual, misses the point entirely.
  15. the youth dialectic
    ANALYSIS STAGE:
    everything must be viewed in its development and in its relations.
    a banana plant is an element that makes up the overall circle of life, it is different to the other plant species and other animal species. plants breath in C02 and breath outh O2, animals do the opposite, in many ways, animals are opposite forms of life to plants, the sum of and unity of these opposing elements makes up the circle of life. the elements interact and cause eachother to change through natural selection, determining the features of eachother.

the bannana plant changes, from its seed, to growth, to seeding, to death.

the banana itself is a certain stage in this process in which the plant surounding the seed with nutrients.

the other parts of the plant are gathering energy for the fruit, or defending the fruit.

everything is a contradiction to its other
    these parts are all different to eachother and determine eachother.
    how do they determine eachother, by specializing in different ways to compement the other parts.

everything is also the sum of and unity of its own internal contradictions.
    the fruit has seeds, nutrients, and a skin, all these parts are different to eachother and determine eachother.

SYNTHESIS STAGE:
    the cells that make up defense machanisms, ie, a solid trunk, are specialized for this task, the cells that make up the bannaa nutrients are specialized for this task. cells are opposed to eachother and determine eachother.
    but how do they determine eachother?
    cells can be different because they are made up of different protiens. the cell type which makes up the trunk may be made up of a protein that gives the cell wall ridjity and strength. the cell type which mkes up the fruit may be made up of a protein that allows the cell wall to break down easily and give its nutrients to the seed.
    why are the proteins different?
    because the DNA in one cell alows one part of its information sequence to be converted into protein and shuts off the other part
    in the other cell the DNA does the opposite.

how is DNA determined?
    by the order of nucleic acids which can either be A,T,C of G. a trio of amino acids in the DNA chain codes for one amino acid that makes up the protien chain. proteins are different to eachother if they have different orders of amino acids.

animal/plant species unfit to keep up with the other animal species will die, the individual animals/plants within the species which have a sertain sequence of DNA which will produce a certain protein that makes it different from the rest of their species and able to survive will pass on their DNA to their offspring. this is what causes the form of the animal species to change and is how animals and plants determine one another.

now we have gone back to the begining again and the synthesis stage is complete

now that we understand the difference between the analysis stage which looked at the problem in its simplest way, and the sythesis stage which looked deeper into the problem to give an overall clearer picture. we understand the union of analysis and synthesis.

knowlege of the union of analysis and synthesis teaches us that the easiest way to explain something is by using the analysis stage. the rules for this stage of investigation/explaination are:
    1. the form (thing) is the sum of and unity of its elements
    2. the elements are opposed to one another and determine one another
    3.the form changes as the relationship between the elements change.

understanding 'union of analysis and synthesis' is vital for a revolutionary whose goal is to pass on knowlege of the inevitablity of communism because it teaches them that they must use the alalysis stage first, and must thus explain the rules of the analysis stage before explaining it.

in summary understanding 'the union of analysis and synthesis' teaches revolutionaries that teaching people dialecicts is a shortcut to teaching them about revolution
  16. HEAD ICE
    HEAD ICE
    I want to say, I have read Novack's introduction as well as August Thalheimer's to dialectical materialism. It is clear that George Novack plagiarized Thalheimer, who wrote the superior work.

Thalheimer's introduction is on MIA:
    http://www.marxists.org/archive/thal...amat/index.htm