Revolutionary Attire

1. Scarlet Fever
    Scarlet Fever
    I'm posting this here because even though it will probably make me seem shallow and frivolous, I thought some of my fellow queers might understand the dilemma I'm in...

I understand how hypocritical it is for self-proclaimed Marxists to rant against the capitalist system while sporting the bourgeois trappings of AE and Hollister. I get it. But at the same time, does being a radical mean we have to sacrifice all sense of style? Are we to resign ourselves to nothing but ubiquitous Che t-shirts and drab olive green fatigues?!

...Or is there some way to reconcile fashion and leftism? I fully understand that the fashion industry is an example of capitalism creating market wants instead of fulfilling human needs. Still, I like to dress well, and I am convinced that equality =/= sameness. So, wouldn't we be able to have some cool clothes in a communist future? And therefore, can't we have cool (but of course, socially conscious) clothes now?

(Bono's Product(RED) Campaign comes to mind...)

Any thoughts? What do you wear? Or am I a deplorably unprincipled sell-out?
  2. ÑóẊîöʼn
    ÑóẊîöʼn
    You don't have to be fashionable to look good.I'm sure if you hunt around local charity shops you'll find something that's attractive yet cheap.
  3. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    I usually wear jeans, sneakers, t-shirt and a hoodie.

I got three pair of sneakers Adidas, Nike and Bape.
  4. Scarlet Fever
    Scarlet Fever
    You don't have to be fashionable to look good.I'm sure if you hunt around local charity shops you'll find something that's attractive yet cheap.
    Right, I hear ya there. I mean, I have to be cheap on account of my basic broke-ness. I guess what I mean is, I don't want to (and couldn't afford to) look "uppity." But in pictures, Marx and Engels are usually in suits, and so--as long as they're not flashy, expensive, and otherwise bourgeois--that kind of stuff is okay, wouldn't you say?
  5. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    How can clothes be bourgeois? Clothes don't own capital.
  6. Scarlet Fever
    Scarlet Fever
    How can clothes be bourgeois? Clothes don't own capital.
    Right, right--I guess I meant "bourgeois-y," if that makes any sense. In other words, if clothes reflect something about the person wearing them, the clothes in question are those that send a message that the wearer is upper class.

There are those kinds of clothes, and then there is the 1984-ish gray/olive green uniform that many often (wrongly) associate with communists. I'm just looking for the happy medium somewhere in between.