Any good movies?

1. x371322
    x371322
    What's some of your favorite sci fi/futuristic/technological/etc. movies?

Here are a few of my favorites:

• Pandorum
    • iRobot
    • Surrogates (not the greatest, but I liked it. I liked the premise more than I liked the movie itself.)
    • Star Wars series
    • Star Trek series
    • AI
    • District 9 (I can't believe some people didn't love this movie. One of my all time favorite flicks)
    • Transformers

I'm a nerd... (we need a geek smilie I could put here)
  2. Technocrat
    Technocrat
    What's some of your favorite sci fi/futuristic/technological/etc. movies?

Here are a few of my favorites:

• Pandorum
    • iRobot
    • Surrogates (not the greatest, but I liked it. I liked the premise more than I liked the movie itself.)
    • Star Wars series
    • Star Trek series
    • AI
    • District 9 (I can't believe some people didn't love this movie. One of my all time favorite flicks)
    • Transformers

I'm a nerd... (we need a geek smilie I could put here)
    Pandorum, Star Wars, and Star Trek are good.

I like my sci-fi a tad on the realistic and dystopic side, like Blade Runner, Akira, The Alien movies, The Mad Max series, etc. I guess Star Wars and Star Trek are exceptions to the rule.

I really didn't like District 9...

Avatar was pretty cool, I guess.

Predators just came out - that should be good.

The Day the Earth Stood Still is a great classic movie.

2001: A Space Odyssey is pretty cool - I like how well-researched everything in that movie is (well, the spacecraft at least).

Actually, I really liked Wall-E.

A Clockwork Orange might be considered sci-fi in some circles, it's good.

Donnie Darko deals with parallel universes.

Twelve Monkeys

Terminator series - kinda ridiculous but hey, it's fun

Children of Men

THX1138 - George Lucas' first movie - a dystopic future in an underground city, starring Robert Duval - I thought it was really cool.

I dunno - I guess I just want sci-fi to be more realistic and more original in its depiction of future societies - it bugs me that almost every future society in sci-fi is depicted as essentially capitalist. Most sci-fi writers have no understanding of how technological factors effect societal development, naively thinking that the present modes of social organization will continue indefinitely into the future. This, combined with a total lack of understanding of the scale of the universe and of basic physics, turns me off from most "space opera" sci-fi.