West Crimean Gothic

1. Forward Union
    Forward Union
    In my readings about German, I found out there used to be East Germanic languages in what is now Eastern Europe and parts of Russia. Barely recorded at all, and certainly now extinct.

There was one notable case when a Flemish diplomat called, Busbecq went to Turkey in the 1500s and met with a Crimean delegation who spoke a Germanic dialect. Being a linguist he tried to work out where it came from. The thing is, he just wrote down 80 or so random words, and compared them to German... ...that is our only insight into the language. He also wrote down a song in the language, but didn't translate it. It's quite interesting also because the langauge is suspected to have lasted into the 17-1800s.

Anyway here are some extracts from his letter;

Ich Malthata I say
    Tzo Vvarthata Thou hast made
    Les Vvarthata He made
    Kilemschkop Drink up your cup

Vvintch Wind
    VVitchgata White
    Gadeltha Beautiful
    Knauen Tag Good Day

Complete list here http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/l...otol-10-R.html

As for the song;

Wara wara Ingdolou
    Seu te gira Galtzou
    Hoemisclep Dorbiza ea

No one's really been able to translate this, and wonder if he maybe got confused and transcribed something from Crimean Greek or another dialect. "Wara" however is Swedish (and was old norse) for "to be" ... Incase anyone wants to have a stab at it...
  2. el_chavista
    el_chavista
    Despite the Swedish and German influence, the Russian language has few words from those Germanic languages.