Code of Conduct: a discussion

1. Q
    Q
    Many discussions on RevLeft often degenerate into flamewars and this affects the atmosphere on the discussions. This is a proposed code of conduct I've taken from somewhere else and I'll put it up for discussion here. I'm not putting it forward as a final word on this matter, but I'm hoping this could start a useful discussion on the matter. This discussion was also started here some days back.

Be polite: when disagreeing, and don't forget to point out what is good in the other person's arguments. Above all, don't descend into personal abuse - it screws up debate and creates unnecessary enemies.

Be respectful: of people's opinions - we have so much to learn from each other if we are willing to listen. Remember that communication is a two-way process.

Be clear: concentrate on the main issues – don't confuse debates by nitpicking or point-scoring. Be prepared to suggest further research or discussion.

Be humble: don't be arrogant like you know everything – we are learning all the time. Remember we have all been wrong at some point in the past and will be wrong again!

Be precise: don't stick labels on people assuming they are something they aren't... or treat them as stereotypes. People have things in common but they are also individuals.

Be cool: don't get too emotional or act in the heat of the moment. Sleep on it before sending off a hot-headed reply – you'll save yourself a lot of embarrassment and keep friends and colleagues.

Be patient: don't escalate problems or accusations until you've given a chance for people to respond. And keep a sense of proportion – don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

Be open: don't prejudge ideas because they come from inexperienced or unpopular people. Remember the message is more important than the messenger.

Be tolerant: don't poison your arguments with judgements about people's lifestyles. 'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone'.

Don't make it a personal crusade: Don't try to "win" every single discussion you're in. Be open to the fact that you might very well be wrong and be open to the fact that other people have other life experiences and, thus, other views on things.
  2. Red Commissar
    Red Commissar
    I think in light of recent threads we have seen users get out of control at times, like we see at other forums across the internet. This is a place where we should be able to discuss our views, not hate each other over petty squabbles.
  3. samofshs
    samofshs
    i like these. let's use 'em!
  4. Decolonize The Left
    Decolonize The Left
    Here is something I posted on a different forum as a guide for conduct, it is simpler than the above but echoes the same ideas:
    As we are all members of the intellectual community, (as is evident by our participation on a forum such as this one) we are all members of a community of thinkers. And within a community of thinkers, several issues should be noted to the benefit of all members. They are as follows:
    1) I, the thinker, am critical of ideas, or concepts, not people.
    2) I focus on coming to the best possible decision, not on winning.
    3) I listen to all ideas, even if I don't agree with them.
    4) I attempt to understand all sides of the issue at hand.
    5) If something is not clear, I ask for clarification.