Human Progress reading

1. bailey_187
    Maybe this group could creating a reading list of books for each of our principles?:

1- Recognise the existence of anthropocentrism and biocentrism as two opposed paradigms, support and promote anthropocentrism and oppose biocentrism

2- Support and advocate increased scientific research and technological progress, oppose any attempts to hinder/regress these

3- Advocate a secular society and the promotion of atheism, oppose organised religion and defend the right of every child to a secular education

I will start with books for principle 3:
    Richard Dawkins - the God delusion
    Hitchens - God is not great
    Bob Avakian - Away with all god
    Michel Onfray - in defense of Atheism
  2. ÑóẊîöʼn
    ÑóẊîöʼn
    Darwin's Dangerous Idea and Consciousness Explained by Daniel C. Dennett come highly recommended, as well as Microcosmos: Four Billion Years of Evolution from Our Microbial Ancestors. While not directly relating to HPG matters, at least in the obvious manner, I found that such books have been a stimulating influence on my thinking.
  3. CallMeSteve
    CallMeSteve
    Maybe a little obvious but Stephen Hawking - A Brief History of Time.
    I would also add Richard Dawkins - The Selfish Gene and also by Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth - The Evidence for Evolution.

These are all books I recommend people read who are either ignorant or sceptical about science.
  4. Invincible Summer
    Invincible Summer
    Pretty much anything written by Raymond Kurzweil
  5. ÑóẊîöʼn
    ÑóẊîöʼn
    I've nearly finished this book, and I consider it utterly essential reading for all HPGers, especially those who are technocrats or technocracy sympathisers - Factor Four: Doubling wealth, halving resource use.

Another book worth reading is The Solar Economy: Renewable energy for a sustainable global future. While I do not agree with the author's position on nuclear power (nor with his fetishisation of small scales and decentralisation), this is a minor fillip to an otherwise excellent book.

Any more I find will be posted here.
  6. Mendax
    Mendax
    in a way Why Does E=mc2?: (and Why Should We Care?) By Brian Cox fits Number 2 in a way in terms of countering the "Why do I need to know that" attitude some people have aswell as explaining it in a way non-sciencey people can understand.