Hinderence of Human Progress

1. Julien Holcroft
    I realize I am still just "hey who's that new guy?", but as I was doing some research online a question occured to me, and you guys came to mind first as far as finding an answer to it. Not be offensive to anyone here if it is applicable to you or anyone you know, but would you consider those born with severe socially debilitating mental handicaps a hinderence of human progress? If so what would be a solution in removing this factor for the sake of the progress of humanity. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Also if I'm completely out of line by proposing this question, simply let me know and I'll remove this discussion promptly.

Julien
  2. ÑóẊîöʼn
    ÑóẊîöʼn
    I realize I am still just "hey who's that new guy?", but as I was doing some research online a question occured to me, and you guys came to mind first as far as finding an answer to it. Not be offensive to anyone here if it is applicable to you or anyone you know, but would you consider those born with severe socially debilitating mental handicaps a hinderence of human progress?
    Of course not. People like that have just been "dealt a bad hand" by a pitilessly indifferent universe, and it behooves us as self-professedly moral beings (as well as being on the whole good for our collective consciences) to supply them with the support that they need, rather than casting them aside as a naive interpretation of "survival of the fittest" would lead us to believe.

If so what would be a solution in removing this factor for the sake of the progress of humanity. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Also if I'm completely out of line by proposing this question, simply let me know and I'll remove this discussion promptly.
    Mentally and physically disabled people aren't holding us back in any way. In fact, we learn far more about how to improve the human condition by working on the problems that such disabilities can present to their bearers and their friends and families.
  3. Technocrat
    Technocrat
    I agree with everything Noxion just said.