RevLeft or independent?

1. Spawn of Stalin
    I think one of the most important things for us to decide is whether or not this project will be a part of the RevLeft community. There are obvious pros and cons for both, so please state your preference and reasons here, majority rules innit.
  2. farleft
    farleft
    It depends what being apart of RevLeft means.

Does this assume that mods or admins dictate what goes on?

I feel that this paper should be called RevLeft, its a good name, the site is well established and has good membership. Also it is not aligning to any one ideology. Plus those involved in the paper are all RevLeft members and it was on this site that we formed the project.

As for "control" only this who wish to be involved should have a say over what goes on etc and if we see articles from the site we like then we can ask permission from the author and if its ok, publish it.

This doesnt mean we need our own section on RevLeft dedicated to the paper, we can have our own site maybe something like www.revleftpaper.com with a links page to RevLeft (maybe RevLeft can have a link to us too).
  3. scarletghoul
    scarletghoul
    I agree with the above mostly, it should be with the RL community.
    But it should also definately be independently managed! i dont want them anarcho-trot admins infringing on the glory of our publicationss
  4. Q
    Q
    But it should also definately be independently managed! i dont want them anarcho-trot admins infringing on the glory of our publicationss
    Lulz.

Anyway, this remark begs the question: who will decide what gets published?
  5. Spawn of Stalin
    I think it should go to a discussion and a vote. I personally wouldn't have any problem voting for a Trot's article provided it was well written and not full of sectarian crap.
  6. redmarxist90
    redmarxist90
    a vote by those involved would be good
  7. Q
    Q
    I think it should go to a discussion and a vote. I personally wouldn't have any problem voting for a Trot's article provided it was well written and not full of sectarian crap.
    That by itself was a very sectarian remark, or were you being sarcastic?

Anyway, I don't think that voting on articles will work as it would color the paper too much on the background of the voters involved, which in turns strengthens a tendency for that particular current, thus defeating the purpose of having a paper in which the whole community feels at home with.
  8. Spawn of Stalin
    Sectarian?

9. farleft
    farleft
    I hear what you are saying Q but if we just publish anything and everything there will be no standards, besides I see that many articles will have no real bearing on ideology.
    I think the only realistic option we have is to decide together if something goes in or not and if people say no to an article not to just ridicule it but to constructively critise and make suggestions on how they could improve it, then they could go away, amend the article and re-submit it.
  10. scarletghoul
    scarletghoul
    I agree with farleft.
    Besides, we seem to have a good mixture of tendencies in this group, so I dont think theres any danger of a stalinist monopoly or whatever you're fearing. And like Red Son I would certainly vote for an article written from any point of view as long as it was a good article