Has anyone tried getting published?

1. Schrödinger's Cat
    [FONT=Tahoma]I'm planning to submit my novel at the end of September. This will be a very exciting (and frightening) process. Hopefully my entire room doesn't get filled up with rejection slips.

Has anyone tried getting published by a major company? A small publisher?

[/FONT]
  2. loveme4whoiam
    loveme4whoiam
    I haven't, but I gather its a difficult process (I used to work in a book shop, so you tend to pick that vibe - that said, considering some of the dross that gets on to the shelves, it might not be). If you can, get hold of and read the latest Writer's Handbook (http://astore.amazon.co.uk/shortstor...ail/0230016375) or its US counterpart as they contain limitlessly useful information; beyond actual writing advice, the majority of the books are taken up with publisher's details, contact names and such for specific people within those publishers, advice on how to approach, the difficult issue of getting an agent to work on your behalf to get a publisher to accept it, etc etc etc. Very useful book, is what I'm saying

From what I've read from the book, stuff I've picked up from work, and common sense, apply to publishers which you know have released books in the same genre as yours. Get very good at writing covering letters and summaries - if relevant, compare your work to an authors' who they have already published, along the lines of "the style is similar to Someone Such-n-Such's, but covers a different area...". Don't send the entire work off to publishers, ever - they'll ditch it without looking at it. Don't send unrequested exerpts (generally) - get in touch with one of the contacts in the company, send them a covering letter explaining the style, what it covers etc (which is short) and hope they get interested and ask for more. And keep plugging away; everyone knows the J.K. Rowling story - an extreme example, perhaps, but evidence that persistence does pay off. Good luck
  3. hippiedude94
    hippiedude94
    Why don't you try Trafford Publishing, I heard they were pretty good. (No, they didn't pay me to say that.) If that doesn't work, you can try self-publishing. Good luck! I'm an aspiring writer myself.
  4. RHIZOMES
    RHIZOMES
    I'm planning on submitting the comic I'm working on to DMC Comics which is an annual comic anthology that publishes New Zealand comics. After that is after a few parts of my comic book have been published in that anthology, collect the comics already published in a graphic novel with the second half not published in DMC, to get people who have otherwise already read the comics in DMC to check it out.
  5. Lolshevik
    Lolshevik
    Wow. Good luck Arizona Bay!

As for me, I'm a long way from done, but I do plan on one day submitting my novel for publishing.