Can Esperanto save local culture?

1. Q
    Q
    I think it can
    In the west English is becoming more and more dominant, influencing other cultures aswell. Historically the bourgeoisie has also tried, often with a high degree of success, to impose a dominant culture on the nationstate, with one "official" language (although there are notable exceptions to this).

I think Esperanto, being a strictly cultural-neutral language, can help to preserve and even revive local languages. In the ideal situation you would learn two languages, which is sufficient for the est of your life: your local language and esperanto. You communicate in your local language in your own community/town/city and in Esperanto with the rest of the world.

It is my belief that diversity of culture is good and that should nourish it, esperanto can help there.

Discuss
  2. Potemkin
    Hey Q. Thanks for getting this going! I have a bunch to contribute. I'll get a few threads going here in a bit.

As far as this thread goes, though, you won't find disagreement here. One of the cool thinks that came out of the Esperanto movement was the SAT. It's was/is a revolutionary group that's been around for a long time that only uses Esperanto. I don't know too much about it, because I'm not fluent enough yet to read all their stuff. However, one important thing they put forward was the idea of a-nationalism. They felt this was better than internationalism, as internationalism presupposes the existence of nations. A-nationalism is perhaps the exact opposite of nationalism and truly represents everyone coming together regardless of physical location.

Anyway, this group is an exciting development, for me, anyway, as it will give me much more motivation to continue my studies. I've got a bunch of information to put up for input and discussion, so I'll get crackin'!
  3. Sender02
    Sender02
    Mi pensas, kiel multaj aferoj, ke Esperanto estas plej bona teorie. Jes estas mirinda ideo, sed Mi pensas ke se fariĝis lingvafrankaon de la mondo, se io estus montr eŭropa internaciismo se iŭ afero alia, kaj en estas 100 jaroj aŭ tiel de estas ekzisto ĝi neniam alproksimiĝis al eĉ fariĝ la oficiala lingvo de lando kaj la plimulto probable estos. Sed unu nedisputebla fakto de la lingvo estas tio, ke ja efektive facile lernebla kaj povas helpi mildig komunikadon, kaj estas amuza lingvo lerni.

~~ .... ~~~
    I think, how many things, that Esperanto is best in theory. Yes is a wonderful idea, but I think that if became a lingua franc of the world, if anything, would show European internationallism if anything. And in is 100 years or so years of is existence it never came close to even becoming the official language of a nation and probably will not be 'till a good time into the future. But one indisputable fact of the language is that is can ease communication and a a very interesting thing to see proliferated and learned by more.
  4. Potemkin
    Esperanto is the best alternative, in my view. There are difficulties in creating a truly inclusive language, as Asian languages are based on an entirely different alphabet. Still, in Esperanto, you have similarities to the Germanic and Romantic language families, as well as English. This is fairly inclusive. Plus, as a second language for everyone, it does not overshadow the native language of the speaker, or seek to replace it as national languages often do.

As to Esperanto "never coming close," I would argue that it's history is parallel to that of revolutionary struggle. I'm trying to keep my terminology inclusive here, as this group is to get interest in Esperanto among the revolutionary left. I would say, though, that it is often the case in revolutionary politics that ideas are thought of as good but unrealistic, "utopian," etc. There are many times revolutionary struggle has "come close" and other times revolutions have happened and then collapsed afterward. We are still far from the world we wish to see. I don't think that's a blow against revolutionary politics, and I don't think that Esperanto's small (though still active and growing) speaking population is a sign of its "unrealistic" goal.

I don't know if there are any numbers, but historically, many more people spoke Esperanto than they do now. Also, Esperanto came close to being adopted as an official language of the UN (let's not get side-tracked about the pros and cons of the UN, I'm not arguing for or against, just stating as part of the history of Esperanto), and today, the group that oversees Esperanto still has an advisory status to the UN. And there were at least a few places where adopting Esperanto was at least considered.

Yes, Esperanto is easy to learn, and yes, it is rather fun. It can even help you form a basis for learning other languages more quickly.

Sender: I'll reply to your other post as well. I was waiting to see if others might want to jump in. What does everyone else think?
  5. Potemkin
    Another quick thought: One of the cool things about Esperanto is that people can retain the sentence structure they're familiar with in their native language and still be understood by all other Esperanto speakers. In this way, it is similar to Asian languages, I believe. For instance:

La hundo amas la katon. = The dog loves the cat.
    La katon amas la hundo. = The dog loves the cat.

In Esperanto, we denote the direct object of the sentence (in this case, "kato" or "cat") with an -n, creating katon. Now we can place "katon" anywhere in the sentence without changing the meaning. This allows people from all languages to learn Esperanto more easily.
  6. Q
    Q
    That is actually pretty brilliant
  7. GeezAF
    GeezAF
    I heard that some of the grammar is derived from African languages as well.
    Although it is heavily romance-based it still manages to include other language groups as well. Germanic languages such as german and english, as well as slavic languages like russian.

And I think that because of this, esperanto can serve as a spring-board for learning other languages as well.

gxis revido!