The Group and Description

1. Elect Marx
    Elect Marx
    I welcome ideas and criticism of the group name, picture and description. Tell me what you think of the grammar, meaning and even writing style. Honestly, I was at a loss as to what picture to use and I suspect I will have to create one myself. Please propose any ideas for improvement here.

Thanks,
    EM
  2. pastradamus
    pastradamus
    I find the picture quite funny but also I find it to be suiting. It gives off that Intelligent thomas edison vibe and works in my opinion.
  3. Rascolnikova
    Rascolnikova
  4. Hegemonicretribution
    I was just wondering...is this group primarily a pressure group within RL, a place for discussing discourse itself, or for establishing the best balance of rhetoric/rationale to use when debating with outsiders? Is it a mixture of the above?

I think it is a great idea, and necessary here, but I feel the aim/point of such a group needs to be stressed also. I would appreciate feedback on what the intention was/ought to be. Thanks.
  5. Elect Marx
    Elect Marx
    Thank you for bringing that up HR. The aim of the group is rather fluid. I created it foremost, to show solidarity with members that seek to present themselves respectfully and communicate in a considerate and challenging environment.

What do you mean by a pressure group? As in to press for these kinds of values? I might see it as having a role as a support group; much as AW came here after his dispute.

To some extent likely a mix, yes. I partially started this thread to guide the development of the group. I would like Respectful Discussion Activists it to be what people need.
  6. Hegemonicretribution
    I hadn't considered the role as a support group, but I think that could be a useful application. By pressure group I meant advocating and pressing these values here on RL, but this is already implied in the basic description.

What do you think about discussion of discourse itself? If this is what we are concerned with it may be beneficial to roughly illustrate an ideal discourse, and to perhaps differentiate from successful discourse if necessary?

Maybe a thread in theory or philosophy would be a good place to trial such a debate, and if needs be this could be restarted here? I would certainly be interested in hearing what other members think about discussion itself, and I will start a thread as soon as I think it through a little more.
  7. Elect Marx
    Elect Marx
    That sounds like a great idea. Feel free to discuss it here or post it if you have a fully developed idea of what you would like to accomplish.