Anti-Theist Action

1. The Feral Underclass
    I've started this thread again because I want to understand peoples positions more.

Should a class based anti-theist network exist? If so who should it exist and what should its objectives be? If it should not exist, why?
  2. Dros
    Dros
    I don't think there is a need for a specifically anti-theist organization. What is needed is for leftists to bring the most revolutionary understanding of the world to the masses. This means that leftist organizations, in the process of normal work, should explicate and advance an anti-theist outlook and position in society, especially among the basic masses.
  3. The Feral Underclass
    If we accept that religion and religious institutions are positively harmful then we need to confront and challenge these things directly as well as indirectly.
  4. InTheMatterOfBoots
    InTheMatterOfBoots
    d-lock me to the nearest church/priest.
  5. BurnTheOliveTree
    BurnTheOliveTree
    The church in England kicks up quite a fuss over embryonic research and other medical advances becaue of their morality. I think an organised and direct public reply would be fantastic, something more than the typical liberal line. (Oh it's not that bad, honest)

Perhaps this is something we could pursue?

-Alex
  6. InTheMatterOfBoots
    InTheMatterOfBoots
    that's a good idea.
  7. The Feral Underclass
    The church in England kicks up quite a fuss over embryonic research and other medical advances becaue of their morality. I think an organised and direct public reply would be fantastic, something more than the typical liberal line. (Oh it's not that bad, honest)

Perhaps this is something we could pursue?

-Alex
    What are they actually doing to stop that though?
  8. BurnTheOliveTree
    BurnTheOliveTree
    Harassing catholic MP's to vote against the bills that legalise it is the main problem. The bills usually pass in the end, but they are moderated and toned down to avoid upsetting the church.

They are slowing down medical science, basically, and this is life-saving stuff.

-Alex
  9. Comrade Rage
    Comrade Rage
    Same thing over here in the States.

Personally I like this idea, although I'm unsure of how it would progress. Freedom From Religion Foundation is headquartered about 120 miles west of where I am, they seem to be doing Ok, although they are hardly working-class based.
  10. al8
    I have a few concrete suggestion witch I had posted in the old thread and think I'll post again. It was very long so I'll see if I can get to it tomorrow.
    You can counter religion in so many ways and there are many fronts to fill.
  11. BurnTheOliveTree
    BurnTheOliveTree
    I think the best avenue would be to encourage those pushing for this kind of research to speak more frankly. In the british media there seems to be a culture of being unberably moderate and mild, when in fact this issue is black and white. I'm fairly certain that, privately, the researchers and doctors are aware that they are being held down by stone-age morality, but everyone in the public sphere seems to be terrified of being the voice of reason.

But I'm not experienced in practical politics guys, aside from the odd riot and a lot of meetings. Any suggestions from more experienced comrades?

What about an attempt to radicalise the freedom from religion foundation?

-Alex
  12. Comrade Rage
    Comrade Rage
    What about an attempt to radicalise the freedom from religion foundation?

-Alex
    Would be a little hard, they're in Madison, Wisconsin whilst I'm in Milwaukee. Since I don't have a car and can't spare the occasional $30 round-trip bus fare my travels there have been very few. Also, Madison people are usually snobs who don't take differing views or working-class issues seriously. Also: their liberals and political activists have a rather snotty view of Milwaukeeans since Madison is a college/capital town and Milw. is a post-industrial town.

The people from orgs like this in Madison that I've run into have always had these pretensions towards working-class people, and once they find out that they are talking to a working-person they'll usually just ignore them.
  13. Pirate turtle the 11th
    Pirate turtle the 11th
    Yeah i know this is necroing this abit but its felt stupid to make the thread again when this was on the same page.

Yeah i think this is a good idea i think a group such as this could be pretty helpful for anti-theists.
  14. Decolonize The Left
    Decolonize The Left
    If individuals feel the need to create an anti-theist organization, they ought to do so.

As far as I'm concerned, my anti-theists beliefs are developed in everyday life. It is the 'duty' (for lack of a better word) of the anti-theist to confront theism when possible and feasible.

This is most often done through individual conversation. Most religious beliefs are fairly unfounded and result from conditioning as a child. They are easily identified and the seeds of doubt are easily sown.

- August
  15. al8
    One very good indicator and inspiration on what to do to counter religion is to simply look at what the proponents and propagators of religion aim to do, when they talk amongst themselves. And when that is known simply to counter their every objective.

To give a concrete example the State Church in my area publishes it's aims. It's mainly intended for the "follow" clergymen and church-crowd. Although it's language is very flowery (most likely because the churches pr-agent had gone over it and muddied some words, so only those in the know get it) it's quite badly transparent none the less.
    Their main aims are to infuse the church into every aspect of society as much as possible and making themselves visible/felt in public life. They further list all the things they have achieved thus far and what they hope to approve upon. One of those specific things are to infuse the church and kindergarden as well as church and elimentary school. Either having kindergardenkids regularly take trips to church (to normalize church presence) or to gain church presence in the kindergardens. As in having a kindergarden priest come and tell stories, sing songs ect. The same with elementary schools.

Now the thing one can do here (in this case as a parent/gardian) is to harrass the church authorities, and school authorities into thinking such trips more trouble than their worth. And one is luckily on very firm legal grounding if one lives in Europe. According to human rights laws parents have the sole proprietorship in matters religious upbringing, but not the schools or the church. If trips are taken in violations of the parents wishes it's a human rights abuse. Now the schools somtimes says "ok, we can take the kid aside (in the corridor or something)" but that is a set up for abuse and bullying of the child in addition to being decrimination on the basis of religion conviction which is also a human rights abuse. The church (if its a state church) and the schools are subject to information laws. So you can demand to see all issued, letters, descussions, internal memos, everything. There are loads of ways you can be a nuisance in an irritatingly legitimate way. This sort of stuff has been very helpful in retarding as well as deflecting the church advance at this front.

Now the descussting despicable slimy smug fraudsters i.e the Clergy are upheld and supported by the State to retard and passify the masses. But how? Where I live the church is held upp partially by direct state funds and on the other hand membership-conditional state funds. The job then is to become an expert in how to decrease the membership and hit them where it hurts the most ; their moneybag.

With less funds, the less these greedy greasballs can wreak havoc. And with less membership the more difficult it gets for them to legitimize themselves in general. And the higher the prosentage of non-affiliated people the more profile or social significance secularism gets.
  16. al8
    One good thing one can do is to try to gain access to the clergy mailing list if can. It's really informative if you want to know how they interact amongst themselves when they are not keeping upp their false public veneer. Be prepared for much money-grubbery.
  17. al8
    I'm not discounting individual interest but I genarally find it useful in a strategic sense to focus on the biggest fish. That is, aiming to counter the most prolific spreaders of superstitious nonsense at each time. In my area it's the State Church. Since it is wealthy and supported by the state it has the capital to undercut secular social ventures such as childrens summer camps and the like. As well as spread their nonsense more widely. However I don't think that should ever preclude or retard efforts to counter less influential religions and superstions such as Islam, Spiritualism and New Age stuff.
  18. Akim
    Akim
    yes we should have something like that. Actually I am a member of a finnish Free Thinkers Association that is anti-religion , pro science and defender of non-religious culture and the rights of non-religious ppl.
    We are the largest minority. We should organize!
  19. Coggeh
    Coggeh
    No , at the risk of slapping myself in the face and sounding like an opportunist I can't see any positives of a movement being publicly anti-theist .

However this isn't the same as abandoning principles as marxists don't really call for the eradication of religion but the separation of church and state and an end to organised religion .

It is a personal thing and is not the business of a party or movement .That being said its still ridiculously stupid .

August west :Ya I love the look on someones face who you know your seriously making them doubt it .Its their eyes ! then again i don't set out to attack ones religion , but like i said they attack me first and ill make them dig their own grave .