Beginning Fashion

1. Reclaimed Dasein
    Reclaimed Dasein
    I have to be clear. I'm hopeless when it comes to fashion. I wondered if any of you fashionistas knew of any good sites that have a good basic introduction. The closest thing I've seen are sites that just list the various fashion movements. I'm looking for something a bit more substantive. Anyone able to help me out?
  2. Rascolnikova
    Rascolnikova
    What kind are you looking for?

Edit: I guess I should be more clear. I assume you're looking for a basic how-to rather than an overview of textiles and design principles. If this is the case, what social/cultural groups are you interested in dressing for, and how do you want your clothes to place you in relation to them? (Usually people want to blend in/stand out in a slightly positive way. .)
  3. Bilan
    Bilan
    It says on your profile you're male, so: here.

It's not so much style tips, but there are some on there.

Also, it's not for brands, but for ideas on what works - you can get similar, or better things, from an op shop anyway. Op shops are the fucking bomb, I tell you.
  4. bcbm
    bcbm
    I'd say just start looking at street fashion blogs and get an idea of what is "in" these days. Vice Magazine's "Dos and Donts" could also be helpful.
  5. Rascolnikova
    Rascolnikova
    Op shops are the fucking bomb, I tell you.
    They really are, but it's quite a time consuming approach. . at least for women. Haven't done much op-shopping for guys, though come to think of it, it was a bit easier.
  6. Module
    Module
    I've always thought that www.hel-looks.com was really helpful for people!
    After a while of looking through all these people, even those you don't think look that great, and reading their little comments about the way they dress you might get some ideas about what you want to look like.

I think that it takes a bit of skill, shopping in op shops. Especially when you don't have a lot of confidence in the way you dress, looking for reasonable clothes in op shops are like panning for gold when you forgot your glasses .. because it really is most of the time a few reasonable items in a sea of shit.

But yeah, it would help if maybe you said what kind of style you were into?
    Look at pictures of people that you like the look of, and then use them as inspiration.
    It can be hard to look at the way you dress objectively, so it can help tons if you look at other people that you like the look of.
    Edit: I have a folder on my desktop for pictures of people I think look cool. It's called 'Fashion Importance' (is that lame? haha)

You shouldn't go shopping without a firm idea of what you want to look like first. Otherwise you'll end up blindly trying shit on and then feeling demoralised after finding nothing looks like what you want, or going there and seeing nothing you like, because you can't picture what it would look like in context of an overall outfit or style.

So yeah, what kind of style do you like? Or what people do you think look cool?
  7. Bilan
    Bilan
    They really are, but it's quite a time consuming approach. . at least for women. Haven't done much op-shopping for guys, though come to think of it, it was a bit easier.
    It's always tricky though,because its very one-off, you know? there's a lot of luck involved with op shopping. But most of the time, when you strike gold, it's 24 carat.
    It's time consuming, but on the plus side: it's more fun, more interesting, more variety and a fuck load cheaper.

Edit: example:

Milla (29)
    "Since my childhood I've worn only second hand. I don't buy unused clothes, because you can find the same things at thrift stores and second hand markets.
    I made my headdress this morning. Thumbelina's blog inspired me. Wardrobe Remix inspires me constantly, too. Lately I've been dreaming of an 80's knit set consisting of a long skirt and a sweater."

trick with op shopping is you've got to know where to look - and where good ops shops are
  8. Bilan
    Bilan
    ^^
    Hel looks is good.
  9. bcbm
    bcbm
    ^^
    Hel looks is good.
    I'm droolin all over it
  10. Reclaimed Dasein
    Reclaimed Dasein
    It's actually pretty awesome. I got a friend of mine to show me the ropes fashion wise. I still have no idea why the hell anything looks good or doesn't, but I think it looks pretty awesome. I'll have to get some pictures up some time.
  11. bcbm
    bcbm
    Yeah, let's see the results!
  12. Bilan
    Bilan
    Maybe the fashion group should be private then haha
  13. duffers
    duffers
    And is there anyway to discover these good charity shops?
  14. bcbm
    bcbm
    Go to them?
  15. Bilan
    Bilan
    Yeah, pretty much. There's few which are consistently good - though, its unusual I'll go to one without finding something I like.
    Only way to find out - go and look!
  16. Bilan
    Bilan
    Another good site to look at is www.lookbook.nu