Womens oppression under Capitalism

1. BobKKKindle$
    Marxist Feminism recognizes that womens oppression in the public sphere is derived from the division of labour in the private (domestic) sphere. Women face the obligation to manage domestic tasks, such as preparing food and caring for young children, which means they are not able to participate in the public sphere in the same way as men. This is of special importance in employment - many women are restricted to part-time labour, as it is only part-time which offers them the flexibility they need to manage the dual obligations of making a contribution to the income of the family unit, and also performing domestic tasks. Part-time work generally offers low pay and a lack of opportunities for promotion, thus leading to greater financial dependence on men.

Therefore, liberating women depends on solving the problems in the private sphere. We need to discuss the various solutions that are available, and whether these solutions are applicable under capitalism

The most effective solution is the socialization of domestic tasks, through the provision of childcare services and communal dining, so that women can be freed from the oppression of domestic labour. Is this possible under capitalism?
  2. Schrödinger's Cat
    [FONT=Arial]I think we're already seeing that occur in contemporary times with "eating out" and pre-kindergarten education taking top priority. Likewise, there is a shuffling around (in some families) where the man takes on domestic work and the woman goes out to pursue a job.

[/FONT]
  3. Tower of Bebel
    Tower of Bebel
    I think that the effects on women of keynesian economics were the best capitalism could ever achieve. And I also believe that these economics are gone.

Recent progressive steps (where men are more involved with domestic tasks and women have more chances in the public sphere) are based on the last elements of the 'welfare state'. But since the economy is trembling and politics are becoming more conservative over time, these progressive steps are the first to become victims of it.

Though, I must say that I find some so called progressive steps forward like the involvement of more men in domestic tasks and the involvment of more women in public life are not as possitive or progressive as they might look. Since most achievements are there to create more profit for the capitalist ruling class.
  4. YSR
    YSR
    I vote no.

Feminized labor in the home continues to be non-waged work that provides the necessary production and reproduction that capital needs to expand. While demands for wages for housework have been around since (I think) the 80's, they are unlikely to ever be instituted. Even if they were, they would be forced to be rolled back. Capital can barely support a welfare state, it certainly can't support half of its labor force suddenly becoming waged.
  5. rouchambeau
    rouchambeau
    The most effective solution is the socialization of domestic tasks, through the provision of childcare services and communal dining, so that women can be freed from the oppression of domestic labour.
    Or men could, you know, take their fair share of the responsibilities for raising children.
  6. Tower of Bebel
    Tower of Bebel
    Or men could, you know, take their fair share of the responsibilities for raising children.
    Yes, they could; but that wont be a solution, especially when both partners have to work or one has to work long hours. So socialization is inevitable.