IDF bans D&D

1. Salabra
    Salabra
    I was earlier referred to this story http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...052074,00.html

Perhaps we could solve the Middle East situation by getting everyone to sit down to a good FRPG!

2. Jazzratt
    Jazzratt
    Anyone thinking of the 80s/90s backlash against RPG gamers. BADD and all that shit have already gone on with this shit. I'm surprised people still take claims like "[gamers] may be detached from reality or have a weak personality" seriously in this day and age.
  3. Bitter Ashes
    Bitter Ashes
    That made me laugh quite a bit. Not quite as much as this though:
    http://www.chick.com/READING/TRACTS/0046/0046_01.ASP
  4. Salabra
    Salabra
    Nice one, Ranma!

One still finds the anti-RPG trolls in lurking in odd places in Oz (Australia), too
  5. NecroCommie
    NecroCommie
    Hahaa! That comic strip never gets old!

I dont know why all the religious freaks are crawling over RPGs. And why Harry Potter? What the heck is it with fantasy worlds (that are quite often better than the real one) that gets those goofy christians so upset?

But that Israeli incident is also quite scary in my opinion. What have I done to earn their suspicion? I played a game that is different?
  6. Jazzratt
    Jazzratt
    I dont know why all the religious freaks are crawling over RPGs. And why Harry Potter? What the heck is it with fantasy worlds (that are quite often better than the real one) that gets those goofy christians so upset?
    Our fantasies are better than theirs.
  7. Dyslexia! Well I Never!
    Dyslexia! Well I Never!
    Reasons religions get so pissed at gamer's fantasy worlds:

We don't have to defend our falsehoods, we can leave them at the gaming table BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME.

We don't feel the need to cling to our characters in times of personal crisis BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME. (when is the last time somebody called on their 12th level paladin to raise their granny from the dead?)

We don't actually have to restrict any aspect of our everyday lives to have fun, BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME.

We as gamers don't have to conform to our particular set of social norms and local laws at all times ingame BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME.

Our fantasy worlds don't claim to judge us as individuals BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME.

Fantasy worlds tend to point out the inherent absurdity of organised religion with thinly veiled satire and it's okay BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME.

Gamers don't have a long history of killing other gamers for playing the wrong game BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME.

Gamers can be of any Religion, Race, Ethnicity, Nationality, Economic means or Social background, BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME.

In short religious people get all pissed off at RPGs because they themselves can't leave their absurd creatures, callous theft, social predjudices, questionable backstories, magic, murder and divine beings at the gaming table like we can.

If anything RPG gamers should be pissed at Religious people for giving ludicrously inventive unreality a bad name with their constant no holds barred LARP of the game "being complete arseholes with a farcical higher cause" and ruining fantasy for the rest of us.
  8. Salabra
    Salabra
    Reasons religions get so pissed at gamer's fantasy worlds:

We don't have to defend our falsehoods, we can leave them at the gaming table BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME.

We don't feel the need to cling to our characters in times of personal crisis BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME. (when is the last time somebody called on their 12th level paladin to raise their granny from the dead?)

We don't actually have to restrict any aspect of our everyday lives to have fun, BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME.

We as gamers don't have to conform to our particular set of social norms and local laws at all times ingame BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME.

Our fantasy worlds don't claim to judge us as individuals BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME.

Fantasy worlds tend to point out the inherent absurdity of organised religion with thinly veiled satire and it's okay BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME.

Gamers don't have a long history of killing other gamers for playing the wrong game BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME.

Gamers can be of any Religion, Race, Ethnicity, Nationality, Economic means or Social background, BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME.

In short religious people get all pissed off at RPGs because they themselves can't leave their absurd creatures, callous theft, social predjudices, questionable backstories, magic, murder and divine beings at the gaming table like we can.

If anything RPG gamers should be pissed at Religious people for giving ludicrously inventive unreality a bad name with their constant no holds barred LARP of the game "being complete arseholes with a farcical higher cause" and ruining fantasy for the rest of us.
    GM Salabra awards you 20 XPs for your perspicacity!
  9. Dyslexia! Well I Never!
    Dyslexia! Well I Never!
    *Level up*

In short the IDF are acting like a pack of dicks.

Like most government organisations the IDF should learn to ignore the activities of consenting groups of law-abiding people in their own homes. Not however in this wider sense because D&D is just a game, but BECAUSE IT'S NONE OF THEIR FUCKING BUSINESS!