I got sectarian abuse at work today...

1. Dr Mindbender
    Not that i'm one to play the 'backwards discrimination' card but this incidence genuinely upset me. Irate cutomer from the Republic calls in, turns to his wife calling me a ''Northern ****'' and starts laying into my accent saying that ''if i was a free-stater I would understand Irish law better'' and a plethora of other accusations making me sound as ignorant as possible. How the fuck does he deduce from my accent that i am sort of union jack waving orangeman?

Anyway [/rant].

Is this sort of attitude prevailant down south?
  2. Connolly
    No way US. The chap obviously has a mental problem. If only for your code of conduct you could have said stuff you and your "free-state law".

Actually that brings a question to mind. Seeing as the protestant and catholics have been divided and seperated quite alot for long durations of time in NI, have they developed different accents at all?

I certainly dont think iv noticed any difference. The chap was a plank.
  3. Dr Mindbender
    well yeah, theres quite a big difference between the accents if you know what to look for. Although i think the transition is very subtle. I mean it's almost impossible to tell apart someone from say Tyrone, to someone from Monaghan or Leitrim just by listening to them. Belfast vs Cork on the other hand, well thats a different matter.

This fella i was speaking to was very prunounced however.
  4. The Deepest Red
    The Deepest Red
    Southerners are very ignorant and intolerant in my view in general, but especially when it comes to Republicanism. Republicans are easily more feared and hated than any colour of Unionist in the 26 counties.
  5. Kit Conway
    Kit Conway
    I'm sorry you had to experience that kind of behavior US. As someone myself from down below I have unfortunately witnessed that sort of carry on against people from the north on a regular basis. People down here are very ignorant about the northern part of this island and it's people. They say "oh yeah we want a free and UNITED Ireland, but we still hate nordies". There's an old saying down here that the nationalists in the north hate southerners more than they hate loyalists whether that has any relevance I don't know. Then you have southerners who think they're MORE Irish. Personally I believe that this was one of the main aims of partition, where you have those on one side telling the others they're not this and they're not that.
  6. Coggeh
    Coggeh
    Not all Southern lads are like that , though i know so many who say the easter rising was basically a terrorist act which annoys the shit out of me

Like what a user said above , their just planks .Although their are idiots around , you'll find many a smart republican down here too (not me ) but i do know loads here in Cork .

And ya the cork and belfast accent are so different , but at least the belfast one is understandable . I have to repeat myself like 5times to people when i'm not in Cork