What are some of your favorite punk bands?

1. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    MDC is a pretty good band.

Some hardcore is good but it's not going anywhere, it's not developing anymore, it's just stuck.
  2. communard resolution
    communard resolution

Some hardcore is good but it's not going anywhere, it's not developing anymore, it's just stuck.
    Of course it's not going anywhere, it's 30 years old (if you count Middle Class) and exhausted as a musical form - not that it was ever particuarly eclectic or open-minded musically. But hardcore has spread the seed and influenced other musical genres massively. No thrash metal without Discharge and the SoCal hardcore influence. No alternative rock without Black Flag and Bad Brains. No contemporary rock styles such as nu-metal, emo, etc without hardcore.

Anarcho-punk, on the other hand, never spawned anything except more anarcho-punk. That's because the music was secondary to the lyrical content and, quite frankly, not really that worthwhile.

A hardcore band such as Dead Kennedys is respected by people who disagree with their politics because they made some amazing music. But who would give a fuck about an anarcho-punk band like Crass if it wasn't for their political message?
  3. communard resolution
    communard resolution
    No: We never sell out!
    Dead Kennedys sold their song 'Holiday In Cambodia' for a Levi's commercial.

People have to pay their bills somehow.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ever since Rancid et al, punk seems to me one of the most cynically commercial genres of music while offering no innovation whatsoever. It certainly comes with the biggest amount of merchandise.

What do you need as a Rancid worshipping punk rocker? Hair dye, hairspray (or soap if you're old school), an expensive Marlon Brando type motorcycle jacket, studs, bondage pants, Dr Martens boots, belts, bracelets, Rancid t-shirt, Rancid patch, Rancid badges, jewellry, and optionally a lot of other bullshit courtesy of Hot Topics or some silly shop in Camden.

What do you need as a Britney Spears fan? Well, just the music really.
  4. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    Of course it's not going anywhere, it's 30 years old (if you count Middle Class)
    What about hip-hop? It's even older (if you count the pre-Sugarhill Gang days before any hip-hop songs were recorded) than hardcore punk and it's definitly developing, okay maybe some of the directions in wich it's developing arent great but's moving baby!
  5. communard resolution
    communard resolution
    What about hip-hop? It's even older (if you count the pre-Sugarhill Gang days before any hip-hop songs were recorded) than hardcore punk and it's definitly developing, okay maybe some of the directions in wich it's developing arent great but's moving baby!
    Is it? If so, fair enough. I can't remember the last time I heard a hip-hop track and thought "wow, I haven't heard this type of thing before", but I'd be greatful if you could give me some tips.

I think the difference may be in the premise. Hardcore's intent was to cleanse punk off all 'decadent' elements (art, commerce, brains) and go back to the basics while upping the ante in terms of aggression and speed. You can only do this for so long, and then if you add too many new elements it simply ceases to be hardcore and mutates into something else (as was the case with Black Flag).

Hip-hop was more of an avant-garde approach to producing music right from the beginning. There was an eagerness to explore new ground, as opposed to just 'purify' something.
  6. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    Well it on one hand got more grittier with types like Sage Francis.
    The other hand some pay more attention to the production like Dilated Peoples and The Roots, these are usually also more artsy.
    Kanye West falls under this too probably, he's a good producer although I'm not crazy about his own career especially his after his second album.

And there are the shitty crunk and snap pop-rappers like Soulja Boi.
  7. thejambo1
    thejambo1
    poison girls, oi polloi, subhumans.
  8. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    Subhumans werent totally serious all the time, I like 'em.

The Day The Country The Died is a damn good album.
  9. communard resolution
    communard resolution
    Subhumans werent totally serious all the time, I like 'em.
    I interviewed their singer for a fanzine when he was in Citizen Fish & he was making fun of all the '77 punk bands reforming and playing revival shows at Holidays In The Sun/Rebellion type sell-out punk festivals. A few years down the line, he reformed Subhumans and played this exact type of festivals himself. I guess that's just reality kicking in, though, so I don't blame him. I just think it's funny.
  10. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    He who fucks nuns will later join the church.
  11. Fawkes
    Fawkes
    Geez alot people like these anarcho-punk bands.
    Dont you guys find a bit too rigid and unimaginative?
    Though I'm sure there are people on this board that legitimately like anarcho-punk bands, part of me feels like a lot of people may just use them as name drops.
  12. Sprocket Hole
    Sprocket Hole
    Though I'm sure there are people on this board that legitimately like anarcho-punk bands, part of me feels like a lot of people may just use them as name drops.
    What the hell? Assume what ever you want man...
  13. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    Fawkes has a point.
    When you see someone with anarcho-punkband patches do you think they like the band or the ideas the band has?
  14. Fawkes
    Fawkes
    What the hell? Assume what ever you want man...
    Maybe you actually like those bands, and like I said, I'm sure there are people on here that do, but I'm curious as to how many people on this board that claim to like bands like Los Fastidios and Aus Rotten have actually heard more than one or two songs by them.
  15. Sprocket Hole
    Sprocket Hole
    Don't listen to Los Fastidos, but I have a few Aus-Rotten albums, and they are one of my favorite bands. Every band I say I listen to, I do.
  16. thejambo1
    thejambo1
    im with prophetic, ive been into punk since 76 and have an extensive collection and i listen to every band i say i do. im afraid im a bit too old to be scoring points for being hip.
  17. nuisance
    Why? To impress people like you?
  18. Fawkes
    Fawkes
    Why? To impress people like you?
    I don't know the motives, probably to impress people, but I don't know if I'm one of those people, all I know is that I've witnessed first hand people using anarcho-punk band names as name drops when they don't really listen to the band that much, if at all.
  19. jaffe
    jaffe
    dead kennedy's
    MDC
    los fastidios
    infest
    sin dios
    cockney rejects
    angelic upstarts
    oi polloi
    antidote
    DOA
  20. Skin_HeadBanger
    Skin_HeadBanger
    Conflict
    Crass
    oldschool Agnostic Front
    Aus Rotten
    Discharge
    Casualties
    Exploited
    Dead Kennedys
    Discharger
    Angelic Upstart
    the Oppressed
    Anti-Flag
    Anti-Pasti
    Leftover Crack
    Choking Victim
    Non Servium
    Antischism
    Brother Inferior
    Opcio K95
    Caustic Christ
    Cro-Mags
    Capitalist Casualties
    Cock Sparrer
    D.R.I.
    Dayglo Abortions
    Mouth Sewn Shut
    Nausea
    Oi Polloi
    Reazione
    OLD Rancid
    Zounds
    U.K. Subs
    Subhumans
  21. Skin_HeadBanger
    Skin_HeadBanger
    I'm with Prophetic... name dropping for the sake of name dropping is lame, and I doubt many people here are doing it... Although I will admit, I go through my punk listening phases and haven't heard of a lot of the bands I listen to now until august/september.
  22. Invincible Summer
    Invincible Summer
    Amebix
    Nausea
    Discharge
    Aus-Rotten
    Black Flag
    Comeback Kid
    Caustic Christ
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Nuclear Death Terror
    Descendents
    old AFI (before they went emo)
    Cro-mags
    Gang of Four
    Bad Brains
  23. Bad Grrrl Agro
    Bad Grrrl Agro
    Propagandhi
    Agnostic Front
    Dead Kennedys
    The Oppressed
    The Clash
    New Society Of Anarchists
    The Pinkerton Thugs
    X-Ray Spex
  24. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    X-Ray Spex is awesome.
  25. SoupIsGoodFood
    The Ramones
    Dead Kennedys (With Jello)
    Big D and the Kids Table
    Mustard Plug
    The Pogues
    Black Flag
    The Circle Jerks
    The Adolescents
    Agent Orange
    Cheap Sex
    The Briefs
  26. The Ben G
    The Ben G
    Sex pistols (duh)
    Crass
    DK (with Jello)
    Misfits (with Danzig)
    Suicidal Tendencies
    C.O.C.
    Circle Jerks
    New model army
    Sisters of Mercy (goth is punk, Right?)
    Nausea
    Doom
    Black Flag
    D.O.A.
    Flux of Pink Indians
    The Ramones
    Choking Victim
    D.R.I.
    MC5
    The stooges (of course)
    Rancid (yes rancid)
    Voodoo glow skulls
    Napalm Death
    Carcass
    Motorhead (?)
    Uk Subs
    The Jam
    The Damned
    The clash
    Amebix

Still listining around. Might change.
  27. SamB
    SamB
    Anti-flag
    The Code
    Thought Riot
    Red Lights Flash
    Intro5pect
    Strike Anywhere
    Propagandhi
    NoFx
    Bad Religiong
    Antidote
    Star Fucking Hipsters
    Leftover crack
    M.D.C
    Dropkick Murpheys
    Flogging Molly
    Gallows
    Donots
    Bouncing Souls
    Authority Zero
    Aus-Rotten
    and many, many more....
  28. Jacobinist
    Minor Threat
    Bad Brains
    Early Black Flag
    Early Bad Religion
    Early Misfits
  29. Chimurenga.
    The Clash
    Black Flag (everything they did. Loose Nut is probably my favorite record of theirs)
    Dead Kennedys
    Bad Brains
    Articles Of Faith
    Born Against
    Fugazi
    Void
    Refused
    Nation Of Ulysses
    Embrace
    Rites Of Spring
    Moss Icon
    BL'AST
    Gang Of Four
    Public Image LTD.
    The Birthday Party
    The Gun Club
    The Cramps
    The Stooges
    MC5

there's more, I'm sure.
  30. CommunistDaughter
    CommunistDaughter
    It saddens me how little love for REFUSED there is in here!

Anyway, The Clash are my standard answer for "favorite band ever." Although, in all honesty, early Against Me! is probably my favorite music in the world.

Apart from those groups, most of the punk I can still stomach on a pretty regular basis isn't too overtly political... Latterman, Ted Leo, The Lawrence Arms, Polar Bear Club, The Gaslight Anthem.
    Folk-punk remains seriously great now and again, though.